Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Buying / Selling / Re: [FS] AOW Statues
« Last post by Stardustgatzu on Today at 06:46:33 AM »
Tentacle ship SOLD. Thanks to the buyer  :slan:
Video Games / Re: Dark Souls
« Last post by Menosgade on January 17, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
I want to buy this remaster unless they drop some crazy add-on content.

No added content unfortunately, just graphics and multiplayer increased to 6 players, instead of 4.
They could use assets of other DS games, add cut-content, stuff like that. Otherwise I'm not buying it either. At least they won't ruin combat by turning off poise (DS III).
Video Games / Re: What Are You Playing?
« Last post by Griffith on January 17, 2018, 05:02:06 AM »
I probably sound like a total hipster twat saying this but sometimes accessability isn't always a good thing

Only if the work suffers, otherwise I don't really think the integrity of these games lies in their relative popularity, sales or our perception thereof, especially since Dark Souls was successful by doubling down on what made Demon's great and more. What struck me most about Demon's Souls was how finished the whole Souls gameplay style was in it and how much Dark Souls is a direct continuation of that rather than a true retooling of the concept. It also gave me renewed appreciation for Dark Souls III as an ultimate installment, how much it brings the series full circle and honors Demon's Souls as well, negating the necessity of a Demon's Souls 2 or Dark Souls IV in my mind. If there's a negative exception, to your point about mainstream success, it's Dark Souls II, which despite its merits stands out as the unnecessary black sheep and an in-house knockoff to capitalize on the surprising success of Dark Souls (as is this upgraded DS, since they don't have another game ready but clearly want to release one this year). The rest of the games in the series all have their place and purpose besides the obvious desire to actually sell games, but after DS3 I don't  know what else Miyazaki has to say with it.

Speaking of not letting Souls go, I'm a few more missions and bosses into my DS-style Nioh playthrough, so my wonky controls are working for me afterall.  I even tried switching to a more natural and efficient scheme so I could navigate menus normally, use all my item slots and switch stances on the fly, but it just wasn't right (I gotta guard with L1 =). I even got used to moving down in the menus by pressing up and up by hitting the Y button. Anyway, its incredible how close I got it to 1:1 with my usual Souls loadout since I kept that pretty simple too and the enemies and bosses are going down for me accordingly. If I had a major criticism it's that the mission based style kind of sucks, especially how it traps you in one when sometimes I just want to experiment a bit, and so far there's little variation in the way of enemies, or I see the same zombies and demons repeated too much every level.
Manga Mausoleum / Re: Dark Horse Berserk Blurb Compendium
« Last post by ThePiedPiper on January 16, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
Yeah, I mean hopefully I'm not coming off as some kind of prude when it comes to the violence in Berserk since I love that shit, whether its Guts taking Rochine's horn through his face or Mozgus grinding up nightmare penis monsters, I'm 100% down for that, but to act like it is ONLY that while simultaneously ignoring everything else the series has to offer is just sad.

Right, this is a consistent point of contention in the fanbase. I can't overstate how much I agree with it, because to entertain the label put forth would be to suggest the graphic violence and gore is the purpose, meaning, and themes to be extracted. But Berserk isn't some mindless slasher flick. The violence is a vehicle a lot of times, but I wouldn't even say it is most of the time. It doesn't take much intuition to see the nuances in the narration (even in the first volume), to see that there is a big reason Guts is the way he is (and that he isn't one-dimensional), and that there is a dense story waiting to be unraveled.
« Last post by Menosgade on January 16, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
Well, considering these and the last Berserk anime adaption, it seems tradition that some odd choices are made towards people handling the franchise. A tradition of people that have absolutely no idea what they're working with.  :sad:
Video Games / Re: What Are You Playing?
« Last post by DuskSprite on January 16, 2018, 01:58:59 AM »
As much as I love Demon's Souls (it's my favourite FromSoftware game by a significant margin) I can't say I'm all that upset about Dark Souls taking the spotlight. Part of the charm of From's action RPGs (such as King's Field and Shadow Tower) is that they've never been widely accesable in the same way Dark Souls is now. Dark Souls has become a mainstream gaming sensation, which is all well and good, but it's hard to have any personal attachment to it at this point since literally everyone and their dog has already played and discussed it to death. You can still play Demon's Souls today and feel like you're part of some kind of secret club, if you know what I mean.

At this point I look at Dark Souls as Miyazaki's sacrificial lamb to Bandai Namco to ensure From's long-term survivability, any integrity the series once had was lost as soon as they started doing pre-order DLC and season passes. Bloodborne was excellent, but being a flagship exclusive for the PS4 certainly held it back since Sony were banking on it to shift units, compared to Demon's Souls which was already considered a failure within the company which allowed Miyazaki to come along and do whatever he wanted with it.

I probably sound like a total hipster twat saying this but sometimes accessability isn't always a good thing, or rather, obscure games remaining obscure isn't always a bad thing, just my two cents. :slan: With the way PS3 emulation is progressing we'll all be able to play it without owning one soon enough, I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to this old paperweight!
« Last post by DuskSprite on January 16, 2018, 01:14:22 AM »
I try to rationalize it in my head that all blurbs are bad, and I'm not really sure who they're written for. But I do think they ultimately do Berserk a disservice, by filtering everything that occurs in the series down to its most "BRUTAL" components. I feel like there's probably some value in hinting at the many other flavors the series has to offer.

Yeah, I mean hopefully I'm not coming off as some kind of prude when it comes to the violence in Berserk since I love that shit, whether its Guts taking Rochine's horn through his face or Mozgus grinding up nightmare penis monsters, I'm 100% down for that, but to act like it is ONLY that while simultaneously ignoring everything else the series has to offer is just sad.

There are people who think Guts finding new comrades is somehow a bad thing for instance, which never fails to boggle my mind. I mean, the Black Swordsman and Lost Children arcs are still among my favourites, and I feel like it would have been easy for Miura to turn Berserk into an 'apostle of the week' style manga, but the fact that he continues to develop Guts as a character while continually pulling back the lens and revealing more of this rich fantasy world (and the stories of the many characters within it) is far more interesting than just watching Guts mindlessly hunt apostles episode after episode, which seems to be the thing that certain people want Berserk to be, including Dark Horse apparently.

I've been complaining about that since the late '90s  :guts: For a decade, nearly every Berserk fan site (but ours) had a strict Red+Black color scheme. Dark Horse's alien-font for the Berserk logo is also pretty appalling. The suppose they're trying to evoke the original Japanese volume logos, but with the gun metal texture, it looks like something Locus might shit out while in his apostle form.

Repeat after me, graphic designers: black and red does not a mature presentation make. :puck:

This is an even better example, actually. Oh my god look at Guts surrounded by all those harmless fantasy critters. This shit is EXTREME, bro! Can't wait to read the blurb for this one. :schierke:

« Last post by Walter on January 15, 2018, 06:34:07 PM »
God, these are terrible. I can't help but wonder if Dark Horse's presentation of the manga has something to do with the misconception some people have that Berserk is this grimdark and edgy gorefest and nothing else. I mean really, if you didn't know any better would reading those blurbs make you want to get into the series? I probably would have dismissed it as some juvenline, power fantasy schlock.

I try to rationalize it in my head that all blurbs are bad, and I'm not really sure who they're written for. But I do think they ultimately do Berserk a disservice, by filtering everything that occurs in the series down to its most "BRUTAL" components. I feel like there's probably some value in hinting at the many other flavors the series has to offer.

I hate the black and red colour scheme that most of the anime releases go for as well. Come on guys, you can be more creative than that! :schierke:

I've been complaining about that since the late '90s  :guts: For a decade, nearly every Berserk fan site (but ours) had a strict Red+Black color scheme. Dark Horse's alien-font for the Berserk logo is also pretty appalling. The suppose they're trying to evoke the original Japanese volume logos, but with the gun metal texture, it looks like something Locus might shit out while in his apostle form.
« Last post by DuskSprite on January 15, 2018, 05:31:08 PM »
God, these are terrible. I can't help but wonder if Dark Horse's presentation of the manga has something to do with the misconception some people have that Berserk is this grimdark and edgy gorefest and nothing else. I mean really, if you didn't know any better would reading those blurbs make you want to get into the series? I probably would have dismissed it as some juvenline, power fantasy schlock.

I sold off my collection a while ago and have been buying the original Japanese volumes instead, which bring me joy when I look at them on my shelf rather than facepalming at that edgy, blood-splattered logo that only an edgy pre-teen would find appealing. "Haha yeah man, blood and rusty metal! SO COOL." Seriously, the visual dissonance between that logo and Miura's artwork is just atrocious.

I hate the black and red colour scheme that most of the anime releases go for as well. Come on guys, you can be more creative than that! :schierke:
Berserk Miscellaneous / Re: Looking for awesome Berserk music on YouTube
« Last post by DuskSprite on January 14, 2018, 11:13:39 PM »
I don't know if I'd call this 'awesome' exactly, but I was playing the PS2 game recently when this one track really stood out to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJ_0QUxLVk

It's a shame there isn't any discussion on the video itself since I find this song to be incredibly atmospheric, as I listen to it I can't help but imagine the misery the Enoch villagers must face every day of their lives, and the bleak harshness of Berserk's world in general, especially for those who don't possess the same willpower as Guts. :magni: If there was one song I'd listen to while reading the manga, this would be it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10