Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Video Games / Re: Bloodborne
« Last post by Cyrus Jong on Today at 03:54:18 PM »
 :ubik: Congrats on killing the Bloodstarved Beast on your first try! I'm one of those poor bastards who still has nightmares of the first encounter with him, so hearing someone turn him into a bloody little bitch brings a smile to my face.

I got the regular edition bundled with my used PS4 (along with Horizon Zero Dawn!), but I'm planning on just buying the DLC electronically. I wasn't quite sure when the right time or best opportunity to start the DLC was though. Obviously before I beat the game, but I don't know if I'm missing out on other changes along the way besides the new areas/items? From what you guys are saying the later the better, but I'm not potentially missing a window on some event or quest in the interim, right (I'd look it up but am trying to avoid spoilers)? I want to experience as much of the game as possible in this playthrough...

The Old Hunters doesn't change or add anything to the base game. All the new stuff is accessed via the new areas. You won't be losing or missing anything if you put off buying it for the time being. Well, technically, they did add a few new things to the base game when it was released (a new NPC, a new "covenant" of sorts, and a bunch of new phantoms to summon), but those were all implemented via a patch and can be used without the DLC.
« Last post by Griffith on Today at 02:58:09 PM »
I made the Bloodstarved Beast into a bloodspilling beyoch on the first try! :guts: Ok, full disclosure, while it technically was MY first try, I did scope him out a couple times as a phantom, just to get a peek (after hearing how scary he was and visiting Old Yharnam, I really didn't want to get bogged down fighting him over and over). It's not like I learned much that I used in my more methodical solo approach, anyway. My instincts were actually good in this fight for once: continually backing up gave me enough distance to keep him largely de-aggro'd so I could size him up, switch items and bomb him in the face with Molotovs (I even had to go into the proper menu because for all my prep I forgot oil jars on my quick select :puck:), and simply walking backwards was effective for avoiding many of his forward attacks, even when he went right past/through me. Once I got him down to about a third/quarter life I figured I'd blow it like always (I'm the best first try Souls player you've ever seen... at initially taking 75% of a bosses' life then regressing terribly in subsequent attempts =), but that's when I felt comfortable enough with his moves to switch to Blunderbuss parries and nailed him with a couple Visceral attacks to put him on his last legs. I even stayed disciplined when he was just one hit away; that's usually when I panic, go "Fuck it!," charge in to blindly attack and die, but this time I kept playing defensively and waited for the right opportunity and the deed was done. Good feeling!

Do you have Game of the Year Edition? DLC is great in this one. I highly recommend it, but only when you have high enough level ( 70 )
The Old Hunter's DLC is an fantastic addition to the main game, but I think it's cruel of FromSoft to allow the player to enter those areas at level 70; you should be at least around level 100 - 110, with a +9 weapon if you're to have a good shot of making it through them without your t.v ending up halfway out the window.   :mozgus:
It's not a bad idea to go into it early though, if only to suicide rush to all the new weapons and attires in the first area. Love me that Beasthunter Saif...and that Whirlgig Saw...and that Bowblade (though you have to be an asshole to get that particular item early). :slan:

I got the regular edition bundled with my used PS4 (along with Horizon Zero Dawn!), but I'm planning on just buying the DLC electronically. I wasn't quite sure when the right time or best opportunity to start the DLC was though. Obviously before I beat the game, but I don't know if I'm missing out on other changes along the way besides the new areas/items? From what you guys are saying the later the better, but I'm not potentially missing a window on some event or quest in the interim, right (I'd look it up but am trying to avoid spoilers)? I want to experience as much of the game as possible in this playthrough...

Which is why I semi-abandoned my pure Skill build to get enough strength to wield Ludwig's sword when I unexpectedly got his patch! Worth it though, my new main, the charge attack is a game changer, and I put it to +5 so the Threaded Cane +3 (4 when I get 1 more Twin Shard) is indeed my change of pace weapon now. Also happy to see that Ludwig's scaling is identical to the Saw Spear, so I really didn't have to break my build to use it effectively either. Skill is already at 25 so I'm going to focus on endurance again now that I need to swing that greatsword around.

Other odds and ends: I've been exploring the Unseen Village, which was pretty intimidating before I got Ludwig's Sword (it also didn't help that to get there I had to leave over 10,000 souls echos out in the wind), but may have seen all there is to see there for now. I discovered a couple of bosses I've got on the docket for tonight: Darksomething Paarl I think, and some praying woman that turned into sort of a white werewolf with antlers (I bought the damn handkerchief =) whose name I didn't even catch. It was late and I wasn't feeling it when I found them, and I was again running five figures in Blood Echoes, so I didn't want to try my luck.
« Last post by Cyrus Jong on Today at 12:01:37 PM »
Do you have Game of the Year Edition? DLC is great in this one. I highly recommend it, but only when you have high enough level ( 70 )

It's not a bad idea to go into it early though, if only to suicide rush to all the new weapons and attires in the first area. Love me that Beasthunter Saif...and that Whirlgig Saw...and that Bowblade (though you have to be an asshole to get that particular item early). :slan:
Character Cove / Re: Level of physical appeal between apostles
« Last post by adhdlama on Today at 10:19:48 AM »
Can't have apostles that are recurring characters be totally wierd.
News & Not News / Re: News & Not News Megathread
« Last post by Aazealh on Today at 09:48:10 AM »
Why a 19-year-old Bitcoin millionaire built a working Dr. Octopus suit.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/teenage-bitcoin-millionaire-doc-oc-suit/

Haha boy, this is basically just one long puff piece for Finman.
Character Cove / Re: Level of physical appeal between apostles
« Last post by Aazealh on Today at 09:40:36 AM »
Why is Chris Hemsworth more handsome than some gross dude in the subway? Why is Beyoncé more talented than some random girl who really loves to sing? Why is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson stronger than the average guy?

Same thing for apostles. Different individuals have different characteristics. Some are prettier, some are more talented. That's how it goes.
News & Not News / Re: News & Not News Megathread
« Last post by Zeke on Today at 09:20:09 AM »
Why a 19-year-old Bitcoin millionaire built a working Dr. Octopus suit.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/teenage-bitcoin-millionaire-doc-oc-suit/

« Last post by Zeke on Today at 07:27:16 AM »

The Old Hunter's DLC is an fantastic addition to the main game, but I think it's cruel of FromSoft to allow the player to enter those areas at level 70; you should be at least around level 100 - 110, with a +9 weapon if you're to have a good shot of making it through them without your t.v ending up halfway out the window.   :mozgus:
Character Cove / Level of physical appeal between apostles
« Last post by berserkfan on Today at 07:03:35 AM »
Hi, I've always wondered, has it ever been explained why particular apostles (grunbeld, zodd, ganishka, etc.) tend to have more of a humanoid/less grotesque appearance than the typical apostle? The average apostle looks more monsterous with weirdly shaped features while also looking less of a human compared to guys like grun or locus. At the same time they also tend to be weaker. Why is this?
« Last post by VladimirPutin on Today at 05:47:03 AM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10