Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Manga Mausoleum / Re: Dark Horse Releases
« Last post by Walter on Today at 08:32:05 PM »
I value anything Miura has to say, and I know he goes into some good shit there too, but those are not awesome topics. :griffnotevil: Makes me wish you, Aaz, puella and the community could do another correspondence with him. Now THAT was awesome. :casca:

Well I just picked the two that I know people tend to ask about a lot. But it's 16 pages so there's a LOT.
« Last post by Griffith on Today at 07:57:18 PM »
Don't forget that it has a sizable (16 pg), recent interview with Miura, touching on things like his message to fans about the breaks, he and his staff's reaction to the anime (slim, but it's there), along with a variety of other awesome topics.

I value anything Miura has to say, and I know he goes into some good shit there too, but those are not awesome topics. :griffnotevil: Makes me wish you, Aaz, puella and the community could do another correspondence with him. Now THAT was awesome. :casca:

You know where that interview could have been? At the end of a new artbook. :casca:

Ouch, way to twist the knife! Yeah, it's like they took the informational section at the start of the volumes and tried to stretch it into something of value on its own, but if you can't even nail the facts down there's little point. I'll still buy it like all Miura's things (I have his other DH published mangas besides Berserk and if they gave me ANY reason to get the deluxe editions I'd probably do that too).
« Last post by Bleac on Today at 05:36:54 PM »
And while yes, most of the content in this dumb book isn't of much use to fans, let's not all shit our pants.

Yeah I understand, it's not such a big deal but it kinda makes you wish they came up with something more ingenious to add there, even if it's filler. Baseless parameters and stats they pulled mostly out of their asses to attribute to the characters is just silly.

Don't forget that it has a sizable (16 pg), recent interview with Miura, touching on things like his message to fans about the breaks, he and his staff's reaction to the anime (slim, but it's there), along with a variety of other awesome topics. That alone is well worth the price of admission.

I guess you're right, Miura's interview and comments and the exclusive art are the redeeming components.
« Last post by Aazealh on Today at 03:55:57 PM »
And while yes, most of the content in this dumb book isn't of much use to fans, let's not all shit our pants. Don't forget that it has a sizable (16 pg), recent interview with Miura

You know where that interview could have been? At the end of a new artbook. :casca:
Video Games / Re: What Are You Playing?
« Last post by Walter on Today at 03:42:20 PM »
I could get over the voice acting for the most part, but even aside from that the game is quite lengthy, especially if you want to get all the dialogue from each village and NPC populated area. I can see how people might have dropped it at some point for one of these reasons.

This is mostly on me. Grandia is a great game, but the localization bothered me. I think I'm just too old for JRPGs these days, even though they were very influential for me growing up. Small quirks like lazy/bad voice acting will ruin the experience. Length certainly doesn't bother me, since Xenogears is one of my favorite RPGs.
« Last post by Walter on Today at 03:17:29 PM »
I thought they added some stuff like that in, because it looks so out of place. I guess Hakusensha is not an exception when it comes to bad marketing decisions (at least from my perspective, maybe Japanese people love knowing exactly how sociable and emotionally stable Guts is).

For comparison, here's that page from the Japanese edition (2016, welcome to the party guys  :griffnotevil: ).

And while yes, most of the content in this dumb book isn't of much use to fans, let's not all shit our pants. Don't forget that it has a sizable (16 pg), recent interview with Miura, touching on things like his message to fans about the breaks, he and his staff's reaction to the anime (slim, but it's there), along with a variety of other awesome topics. That alone is well worth the price of admission. Number of times US fans have had an official translation of a Miura interview prior to this: One.
« Last post by Bleac on Today at 02:50:43 PM »
To be fair that's from Hakusensha, Dark Horse is just translating it.

I thought they added some stuff like that in, because it looks so out of place. I guess Hakusensha is not an exception when it comes to bad marketing decisions (at least from my perspective, maybe Japanese people love knowing exactly how sociable and emotionally stable Guts is).

These things are popular in Japan, but more appropriate for shounen series than for a manga like Berserk.

That's true
« Last post by Khalamir on Today at 02:17:01 PM »
lol Yea. I mean, I'm going by what these pages look like in the online preview here http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/06/08-1/exclusive-preview-the-berserk-guidebook-ahead-of-fall-launch

Note the many other errors.  I can't believe I let myself get mildly excited over this.

Dark horse said the preview pages are outdated: https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/status/1041829161856249856
I don't have the guidebook, so I can't confirm if it's all fixed.
« Last post by Zeke on Today at 02:12:34 PM »
This page alone is incredible:

What cracks me up about that page is "Guts sayings"; why not just say quotes?  This page title makes it seem like Guts is putting together a series of self help books. 

"My life as a One Armed Swordsman": An inspiring true story of one man's struggle against fate, evil, and disability.

"Love and Loss as a Branded Man" : Never again will you feel compelled to bemoan your torrid love life after reading this harrowing tale of a truly cursed relationship.
« Last post by Aazealh on Today at 02:03:44 PM »
Those "parameters" are more indicative of a medical exam or something to me. Just picture Guts getting his parameters checked and in order.

I fail to understand how can DH be so shallow and out of touch with the community and the essence of Berserk after so many years of publishing it.

To be fair that's from Hakusensha, Dark Horse is just translating it. These things are popular in Japan, but more appropriate for shounen series than for a manga like Berserk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10