Boxing

Lets talk boxing in here, good suggestion Joe Chip. We were beginning to hijack the weekend thread! My fault. Continuing out chat from -http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11760.msg234551#msg234551

Joe Chip said:
Mayweather may be an asshole, but he must be one of the most talented people to ever walk in the ring.
Tyson is my favorite fighter. I liked him way more when he was working with Kevin Rooney together. He said in an interview that getting older had a serious effect on his style, he couldn't keep up with the speed + head movement he once had (not that all the parties really helped =) )

Can we start a Boxing thread? I didn't know that you guys enjoyed it.

Definitely, gotta give credit where it's due and Mayweather, whatever his style may be, has come this far successfully and 48-0 is a massive record. His ability to deliver those point-punches consistently is commendable. His stamina got him outta his fight with Maidana and he had a hard time with Castillo back in 2002. I think those 2 have been his toughest opponents, close fights. He controlled the Pacquiao fight, coming back with more jabs whenever he needed to stay ahead in the points. Honestly, I don't like Floyd's style of boxing. Complete opposite of Tyson's.

Tyson's a favorite of mine too. What're your favorite Tyson fights? A few to list but his two fights with Ruddock were close as hell! I love watching Tyson because he's so ... menacing - powerful boxer, small but his style overcame the reach-height barrier and you always got the sense of a reeeeeeeeaaaal fight being fought. All he cared for was knocking the other guy out. No points.

I haven't seen a lot of fights from the old days from the likes of Ray Leonard or Ali or Marciano or Dempsey.

IncantatioN said:
Tyson's a favorite of mine too. What're your favorite Tyson fights? A few to list but his two fights with Ruddock were close as hell! I love watching Tyson because he's so ... menacing - powerful boxer, small but his style overcame the reach-height barrier and you always got the sense of a reeeeeeeeaaaal fight being fought. All he cared for was knocking the other guy out. No points.
Tyson played his cards very well. That's why i like him so much as a boxer before he split up with Kevin and his old crew. Extremely fast, with effective counter punching and on top of that brutal strength. He even knocked out guys with his left jab lol.
I like all the fights just before he lost to Douglas, after that he just wasn't the same. If you look how he dealt with guys like Holmes or Spinks you'd think that they were average boxers, but they were anything but that. Oh and the fight with Frazier, i am still wondering how the hell he stood up from those punches.

IncantatioN said:
I haven't seen a lot of fights from the old days from the likes of Ray Leonard or Ali or Marciano or Dempsey.
If you want to check out Ali, here is he at his finest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5UW0wfAYbM I don't like his style much, but boy oh boy was he talented. I can see why people say he was the greatest of all time. After his forced retirement, he just wasn't the same. If you watch his earlier fights he was extremely fast for a heavyweight. I am more of a fan of Frazier, his approach was much simpler, i am here let's throw some punches at each other lol.
I haven't seen may of the fights of the older guys, the quality of the videos that are available is really bad.

Do you guys also watch MMA ? A friend of mine introduced me a few months back and i am starting to watch more and more as time goes by.

Hi, I'm only just starting to get into sports in general and I've found boxing very entertaining. I can't offer the commentary you real fighting fans have so I'm just gonna leave this classic Tyson gem. The man is hilarious outside the ring and deadly in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIDjMCxNHSg

I thought Canelo was a hype job, but he's starting to win me over with some of his recent fights. His upcoming match against Kovalev is going to be awesome!

Other fights I'm looking forward to: Porter vs Spence, Joshua vs Ruiz 2 and Inoue vs Donaire.

I thought Canelo was a hype job, but he's starting to win me over with some of his recent fights. His upcoming match against Kovalev is going to be awesome!

Canelo really stepped up with his defensive skills and they weren't weak for years tbh. He was already great on defensive in year 2013 in his fight with Austin Trout. Ofc he was outclassed by Mayweather but who wouldn't be? With his fights against Golovkin Canelo proved he can fight the best and thus proved he is one of them.

Canelo really stepped up with his defensive skills and they weren't weak for years tbh. He was already great on defensive in year 2013 in his fight with Austin Trout. Ofc he was outclassed by Mayweather but who wouldn't be? With his fights against Golovkin Canelo proved he can fight the best and thus proved he is one of them.

I actually wasn't referring to his match with mayweather (in which he seemed weight drained), but the level of his opposition after. Alfredo angulo was on his way out, I thought he lost to Lara, James Kirkland was a 'has been', Cotto was in the twilight of his career and looked like a dwarf on fight night, chavez jr seemed weight drained and let's not forget Amir Khan.

But like I said, his recent fights are a different story and I don't understand the people who are disputing his win in the ggg rematch, I thought it was a complete shutdown.

I became fan of his in 2012 after his fight with Mosley, but he really cemented it with vs Austin Trout fight with his body movement/defensive. Later he just proved that he can fight good fights with strongest fighters around his weight division.

Top Bottom