Twin Peaks Returns

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
SuperVegetto said:
I got a massive deja vu from this comment.

Is it future or is it past?
Walter said:
Wow! My face while watching. :ganishka: Alex should ditch his dayjob and become the key Twin Peaks theorycrafter.

I actually found the whole thing, and while I couldn't get through more than a minute more than what appears in the Peaks video, he's actually talking about some conspiracy concerning the elites being vampire pedophiles with the aim of becoming one with the machines!(!?) :carcus: Eat your heart out, David Lynch!

Also, if you found The Return's ending to be a bit abrupt, here's a coda for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEINFmMn4M

Well... you can't argue with that! :isidro: :magni:

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier came out this week and it popery ties up Annie´s and to a certain degree Audrey´s story. A lot of the info within can be pieced together from S03 but this one is a sequel to it, unlike Mark Frost´s previous and much more labyrinthian The Secret History of Twin Peaks. I would be surprised if S03 (9/10) will be the very final word on the show but this is a good ending point.

...The overlapping realities shown in season 3 of Twin Peaks just brings up something from season 1 episode 3 with the multiple federal pins on Coopers coat in The Red Room outlining that his consciousness has spanned several dream worlds and is not simply old man Cooper but an older Cooper spirit.

I recently began my re-watch of season's 1 and 2 before diving into the new season and I'm on episode 3 of season 1. Can't help but hear the themes ring in my head while I'm at work like the opening of Laura's theme or Freshly Squeezed.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Jahezus, I thought this was 4 minutes and 35 seconds long, not four and half hours! I think I read an article or post back when The Return ended that explained everything well enough, at least pertaining to the beginning and end of The Return.

Not going to lie, when I saw you posted in this thread I was hoping it was a season 4 announcement. =)

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I skipped around this monstrous offering, and while there are a lot of good insights in this, the one I can’t swallow is that by this guy’s logic, anyone who actually enjoyed Dougie’s scenes (most of us here, I’d wager?) brilliantly subverted Lynch’s elaborate troll on us all for WHAT TELEVISION HAS BECOME, MAAAAAAAN!

However, the notion that the Twin Peaks universe is one that subtextually reflects/comments on our relationship with Television in general is one I’ve considered ever since James rode off on his motorcycle into, inexplicably but undeniably, an altogether different, in-progress, TV show universe. So yeah, there’s the backbone of something there, but I think what Lynch is doing defies being distilled into a single, unifying mission statement, as this guy attempts to do.

Not going to lie, when I saw you posted in this thread I was hoping it was a season 4 announcement. =)
Same :badbone:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I completely agree with you Walter. While the whole meta subversive element is there, no doubt about it, that's not all it boils down to. Not everything can be explained away using that logic alone. I actually watched the whole thing and some of the specifics he cherry picks out and tries to connect get really ridiculous. The Dougie thing is bogus and it's going on the assumption that everyone, Lynch included, feels the Dougie scenes are slow and boring and pointless and not funny and there must be a reason for that. All you have to do is watch 20 seconds of Lynch behind the scenes to understand that Lynch enjoys slow cinema, almost like a genre on it's own in todays fast moving hypercut Transormers / Marvel universe world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzH4CDmZ3h8 , Other than for maximum comedic value, the style and pace of the Dougie scenes were more like a response to the way most shows are paced and edited today. Similar to how the infamous episode 8 felt like it belonged in 2001: A Space Odyssey, another slow, yet perfectly paced film. This is what David Lynch enjoys. It's his style and it always has been. I really don't think there's any greater meaning to it beyond that. And if you really think Lynch is trying to test your patience with some of the scenes in The Return, well, when was the last time you watched something like Barry Lyndon, or The Good the Bad and the Ugly, or the Godfather.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Haha, same here!

I really hope so. I recently watched a fan edit of Fire Walk with Me that includes all the missing pieces scenes according to the original script. It was like 4 hours long but honestly it was so good that I dont think I'll ever want to watch the regular version again after seeing it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I really hope so. I recently watched a fan edit of Fire Walk with Me that includes all the missing pieces scenes according to the original script. It was like 4 hours long but honestly it was so good that I dont think I'll ever want to watch the regular version again after seeing it.

Nice!

I watched a good deal of this and while there are a lot of good points the entire story is not a vehicle for a single metaphor, especially something as banal as people's relationship with television. The original run is stepped in many layers of symbolism, especially Lynch's own metaphysical world view and the occult which much of this essay does not address or misconstrues at least IMO. Mark Frost's role is also very undersold in people's view of Twin Peaks and his mythos building is a big part of the show.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I feel like if I had read that theory when the show was still fresh, it might have been interesting to me. But 3 years removed, I'm just: "Hmm, sure"

Oburi

All praise Grail
I've rewatched The Return like 5 times since it aired. Usually it's just as something to put on late at night while I fall asleep. But man, greatest 18 hours of television ever. Still a miracle that it was even made. Not to mention the fact that Lynch , still salty after prematurely revealing Laura's killer in season 2 due to network pressure, expertly managed to put the genie back in the bottle and reintroduce Laura Palmer as the central mystery, all while continuing the narrative. I think it's genius.

I feel like if I had read that theory when the show was still fresh, it might have been interesting to me. But 3 years removed, I'm just: "Hmm, sure"

I dunno man, it still fascinates me. I'm still keeping up with theories and reading interpretations online because as far as I'm concerned, nobody has quite nailed it yet. That's kind of the point, I know (the mystery is more fun than the answers). It's Lynch's M.O. But it's still fun to try an explain away some the more confounding elements. I enjoy the mystery and I've accepted that much of it will never have an answer, but you never know! Maybe in ten years something will come out that satisfyingly makes sense of episode 18 because I'm not smart enough to crack that one. And I've read everything I could find and I still haven't come across anything that seems exactly right. Which is awesome.

When I saw the thread was updated I thought it would be potential season 4 talk or an announcement. :judo:

Man I fucking hope so.

Top Bottom