Translation question, Chapter 82, post-sacrifice.

I have the full manga from Dark Horse on Kindle, but also read it online for new episodes or clarifications like this one.

My question is about chapter 82, Just after we swap to Griffith sinking into the Abyss, post-sacrifice. Griffith witnesses the deaths of the Hawks and then reacts to them.

In Dark Horse, Griffith simply says(thinks) they are passing through him, and that he feels nothing. "I wished for it. I killed them. It's strange... I don't feel anything"

The BandoftheHawk translation is very different when considering Griffith's mental state at THIS moment, when he has made the sacrifice but not yet become Femto.

Ch 82, page 17. HERE, we're shown a very different Griffith. His first comment is "Everyone's dead. I'm through it..." which makes it seem like it was hard or troubling for him to witness the feast as he did, that he DID feel, possibly physically, but I'm leaning toward emotionally. Griffith then says he wants to die, that he wants to never feel or think again.

Which is more accurate? Was Griffith already in a state of indifference toward humanity and his comrades, or was he, for this moment, remorseful and shaken? I've long wondered about line between Griffith and Femto, and if there is one at all. I know everyone has their ideas, and I have mine, but this moment shines a bit of light in that direction, so I'm hoping for clarification.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I have the full manga from Dark Horse on Kindle, but also read it online for new episodes or clarifications like this one.

My question is about chapter 82, Just after we swap to Griffith sinking into the Abyss, post-sacrifice. Griffith witnesses the deaths of the Hawks and then reacts to them.

In Dark Horse, Griffith simply says(thinks) they are passing through him, and that he feels nothing. "I wished for it. I killed them. It's strange... I don't feel anything"

The BandoftheHawk translation is very different when considering Griffith's mental state at THIS moment, when he has made the sacrifice but not yet become Femto.

Ch 82, page 17. HERE, we're shown a very different Griffith. His first comment is "Everyone's dead. I'm through it..." which makes it seem like it was hard or troubling for him to witness the feast as he did, that he DID feel, possibly physically, but I'm leaning toward emotionally. Griffith then says he wants to die, that he wants to never feel or think again.

Which is more accurate? Was Griffith already in a state of indifference toward humanity and his comrades, or was he, for this moment, remorseful and shaken? I've long wondered about line between Griffith and Femto, and if there is one at all. I know everyone has their ideas, and I have mine, but this moment shines a bit of light in that direction, so I'm hoping for clarification.
The Hawks translation should never be taken seriously. “I’m through it,” first off isn’t even a correct English phrasing in any capacity. And it is a shoddy way of conveying that the anguish of the Falcons as they die is passing through Griffith as he descends. And he remarks that he doesn’t feel anything. The scene is about Griffith coming to terms with their deaths within the context of shedding his humanity. By the end of this scene he sheds his final tear.

Top Bottom