Young Animal is planning something for Berserk on October 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm kind of new to the berserk fandom and this could very well be a dumb question so forgive me in advance but nonetheless I have to ask, how do we know for certain it is an art exhibit? Like, all we have is the manga mogura twitter account saying it and the leaked image no name posted, but what are the sources of these images? I tried reverse image searching them and all I could find were twitter accounts reporting on it. I am not questioning the validity of these sources of course, but nonetheless I am curious.

Heiji, who has been a reliable source of information for leaked Berserk news for years, posted about it here. That's why we're talking about it with some authority. But we'll know all the details tomorrow, once 10/9 rolls around in Japan.

I'm kind of new to the berserk fandom and this could very well be a dumb question so forgive me in advance but nonetheless I have to ask, how do we know for certain it is an art exhibit? Like, all we have is the manga mogura twitter account saying it and the leaked image no name posted, but what are the sources of these images? I tried reverse image searching them and all I could find were twitter accounts reporting on it. I am not questioning the validity of these sources of course, but nonetheless I am curious.
It's from Young Animal, the magazine Berserk is published in I'm pretty sure. It's a leaked early copy I think, the announcement for an art museum has not been officially made in public.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I have to ask, how do we know for certain it is an art exhibit? Like, all we have is the manga mogura twitter account saying it and the leaked image no name posted, but what are the sources of these images?

Young Animal is officially released on Friday in Japan, however magazines are always printed days in advance. People who subscribe to them typically get them early, and folks working in the distribution circuit can get their hands on them even before that. However he does it, Heiji gets the news early and then posts about it. He's done it for years, so there's no reason to doubt him, and besides, the picture we got literally says it's an exhibition. As a matter of fact, when you posted the domain name last week, I had two guesses for what it could be: a store or an exhibition. But it seemed pretty far-fetched that they'd do an exhibition during the COVID-19 health crisis, so I disregarded the idea. Clearly I shouldn't have...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!

Exhibition site: https://www.dai-berserk-ten.com/
Crowdfunding site: https://greenfunding.jp/lab/projects/3955/

• Crowdfunding goal is 10 million yen for a huge zodd statue.
  • Crowdfunding bonuses range from a 1000 yen "thank you" from Miura to a Dragon Slayer replica for 1 million yen.
  • Exhibition includes life-sized dioramas of memorable Berserk scenes: Godot's forge, Elfhelm, the Eclipse, Corridor of Dreams, possibly more.
  • More than 200 pieces of Miura's art will be on display, some will be original (unseen?).
  • Event-specific merchandise will be on sale. No details yet.
  • Exhibition page starts with a message from Miura saying that he knows Berserk has been long overdue for such an event.
  • No items will be shipped overseas.
Event location:
Sunshine City Exhibition Hall A
〒170-0013 3-3-1 Higashiikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo

"The event may be canceled or postponed to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus infection. Thank you kindly for your understanding."

Thanks for breaking the news and helping with summarizing what it meant Walter, and Aaz for that extremely important tidbit about international credit cards not working for their current (or only) setup. I would have loved to contribute for at least some of those sub-350$ rewards to support Miura, but ...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for breaking the news and helping with summarizing what it meant Walter, and Aaz for that extremely important tidbit about international credit cards not working for their current (or only) setup.

I've finally had some time to check and contrary to what I say on the podcast, it seems the platform they're using for the crowdfunding is itself limited to domestic credit cards.

Wow, this is pretty exciting and sounds a lot bigger than I was originally expecting. I'm going to cross my fingers for now and hope that I can get some time off/ convince my girlfriend of it ( it's happening around my birthday so maybe I can try to swing something ...). As far as the Japan issue credit cards, that's really unfortunate both to the fans here wanting to get in on those exclusive rewards, but more importantly simply being able to contribute to the cause! I've been able to get by using my Visa for literally everything here but will have to do something if I want to get in on the crowdfunding . I think there are quite a few easy options for prepaid Japanese credit cards that should work.

On a somewhat unrelated note, this is also a potentially really exciting time for the manga. While obviously nothing is confirmed, around the time of a big deal exhibition would be a great chance to put out an episode or two!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A little update on the crowdfunding campaign since it's been open for four hours. They're at 32% completion (3,251,000 Yen) with 47 backers so far. The bulk of that is from the higher rewards, and specifically the 10 signed original color reproductions. As expected, the serious collectors all went for it as Miura's authograph is what's most valuable. It's what I would have gotten too, had I been able to squander my money on this project. Only one person went crazy and backed at the Dragon Slayer tier, so two are left. The pin badge set however has also only got one backer so far despite being much more affordable, but frankly it looks pretty lame so I doubt all 99 units available will be taken. And it doesn't even have Rakshas. The rest is spread between the lower tiers, but it's clearly only the core fanbase that has backed the project so far.

And it doesn't even have Rakshas.
definitely what kept me from splurging on this one personally :rakshas: but honestly, what the hell! Besides just visually being a glaring omission... You know the Rakshas mask pin would have been the coolest looking of them by far!

Nice to see that it's picked up steam so quickly, and congratulations to those that got the signed illustrations. I'll probably stick to the 18,000 tier all things considered.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
definitely what kept me from splurging on this one personally :rakshas: but honestly, what the hell! Besides just visually being a glaring omission... You know the Rakshas mask pin would have been the coolest looking of them by far!

Honestly the others look pretty bad to me so I'm afraid they might have botched Rakshas as well. I'll admit to being puzzled by what they're going for with these pin badges, especially since they seem to believe they're worth $350 on their own. I like pins as much as the next 80s kid, but for that price I'd expect more. It doesn't help that the only picture of them available is small and blurry.

Nice to see that it's picked up steam so quickly, and congratulations to those that got the signed illustrations. I'll probably stick to the 18,000 tier all things considered.

Pfff, I bet a couple of them will end up on auction for three times the price. :mozgus:

A little update on the crowdfunding campaign since it's been open for four hours. They're at 32% completion (3,251,000 Yen) with 47 backers so far. The bulk of that is from the higher rewards, and specifically the 10 signed original color reproductions. As expected, the serious collectors all went for it as Miura's authograph is what's most valuable. It's what I would have gotten too, had I been able to squander my money on this project. Only one person went crazy and backed at the Dragon Slayer tier, so two are left. The pin badge set however has also only got one backer so far despite being much more affordable, but frankly it looks pretty lame so I doubt all 99 units available will be taken. And it doesn't even have Rakshas. The rest is spread between the lower tiers, but it's clearly only the core fanbase that has backed the project so far.

Those 10 autographs and the sword are the first things I noticed too. Just wow.

With the launch of the page, I wondered why they'd left out the dimensions of the 10 autographed pages because they broke it down for every other item. I was hoping they'd give us an update on that today, but I see now change. And the other thing I thought of was - if there would be different reproductions or if it was 10 of the Guts that they presented on their site. If they ever come up on auctions, it'll be incredibly expensive like you suggested.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
With the launch of the page, I wondered why they'd left out the dimensions of the 10 autographed pages because they broke it down for every other item. I was hoping they'd give us an update on that today, but I see now change. And the other thing I thought of was - if there would be different reproductions or if it was 10 of the Guts that they presented on their site. If they ever come up on auctions, it'll be incredibly expensive like you suggested.

Well there was absolutely no doubt those signed illustrations would be the first thing to go. And it's going to be ten reproductions of the same picture, obviously. If each was a unique illustration, the price would be much higher. Also, it's actually 13 reproductions, since the Dragon Slayer tier gets one as well. Well, assuming two other super fans have got $10,000 to burn on that.

Anyway, about the dimensions, I did notice that as well. These are Shikishi, a specific type of paper used, among other things, for authographs by artists. They come in different standard sizes, but given the size of the signature relative to the illustration, I'd say they will probably be 273 x 242 mm.

Sad misstep on their part for not making the crowdfunding open to international backers, as I'd imagine they would've hit their goal already. May not be able to go to the exhibit, but I (and many others) would've happily contributed to make it as big and successful as possible. It's the least we could do after all the quality Miura's given us.
Not to mention all those glorious prizes :judo: but what can ya do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom