Episode 364

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, going to YouTube or Reddit is just absurd. Makes you lose hope in people because the entire time all I can think is, "There is no way we're reading the same story". You have that with the YouTube creators, who's entire channel is Berserk reacting to the leak that was missing like half the pages because they couldnt be bothered to actually purchase the episode.

I think it was basically 90% complete. There's only one panel where it's obvious Miura did not draw Guts: the bottom one where he sends the boy back to Casca, Isidro and Isma after they share a dad+son moment. I could immediately tell when I saw it, but you know what? It's fine. And the rest of the stuff is almost seamless. I'm just glad we got this episode, and very grateful to the team for pulling through in what must have truly been the darkest of times for them..
I am just curious what makes it obvious to you that Miura did not draw Guts in that panel? I am not doubting your assumption at all. I also have not closely examined how Miura had more recently drawn guts. I am only curious what distinctive features stick out to make you say that?

I concur about the team coming through. Props to them!

Last edited:
Yeah, going to YouTube or Reddit is just absurd. Makes you lose hope in people because the entire time all I can think is, "There is no way we're reading the same story". You have that with the YouTube creators, who's entire channel is Berserk reacting to the leak that was missing like half the pages because they couldnt be bothered to actually purchase the episode.
Those are the same people who pestered Young Animal and Miura's assistants because they fucking needed to know if Berserk would continue.
Zero respect.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I am just curious what makes it obvious to you that Miura did not draw Guts in that panel? I am not doubting your assumption at all. I also have not closely examined how Miura had more recently drawn guts. I am only curious what distinctive features stick out to make you say that?

It's just not the same drawing style.

BiQ_

" ... "
I really enjoyed the panel with stick fencing between Guts and the boy. Going back to both the duel with Griffith back in Golden age, but also to when Gambino trained with Guts...

Man, I just... really wish now I could have seen more of Guts as dad (don't we all?) but at least this bit felt so very good.

I really enjoyed the panel with stick fencing between Guts and the boy. Going back to both the duel with Griffith back in Golden age, but also to when Gambino trained with Guts...

Man, I just... really wish now I could have seen more of Guts as dad (don't we all?) but at least this bit felt so very good.
That whole segment was very heart warming, nice to see guts smile a bit

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
If you think Femto is talking about how he feels lonely, then I don't think you're understanding the scene correctly. It's about how the boy's feelings linger only for a brief moment before disappearing.

Yeah, he's clearly describing the boys feelings, and the Femto part is when they're all gone. Despite the tear and clear emotion, he doesn't look altogether friendly to me either, like he's keeping dignified as he explains this but is not necessarily pleased with this situation as you allude to (it actually reminds me of a shot on the Hill the Swords where he reaffirms his desire to take his own kingdom, Guts should know that better than anyone, etc).

Anyway, the really brilliant part of this dialogue that should be puzzled over and appreciated is how it deceptively works thematically for both characters even though one's feelings are clearly being conveyed by the other (Miura saved us on one hand, gave us something else to correct for the next decade on the other =). It's really a final masterstroke for both these characters, with obvious implications for the others. And at least we technically got Griffith expressing some emotions and regret in the end, something I've been curious about since the aforementioned Hill scene, even though they're not actually his own. That's all we might have ever gotten, anyway (though it's possible the boy might have blurred the lines or compromised him further; maybe they would have magically attacked Griffith psychologically at some point, try to unlock him like Caska, but offensively speaking to essentially break him instead of fix him). Anyway, the funniest comment I saw online was someone saying, "Even Griffith is crying." =)

It all seems pretty clear to me... And no, she does not immediately know who he is...

Yeah, that's clearly the revelation she's having with the demon child page. Awesome moment.

Well, the thing is, I don't think at this point in the series we would just have gotten a repeat of Flora's or of the Hill of Swords, where basically the good guys get devastated. Guts & company can't just run away towards a far off place anymore: they're already there! When they leave the island it will need to be with a plan of action to actually beat Griffith (however slight their chances might be). Plus, given Femto's typical disinterest and the boy's possible interference, I feel that there would be a non-negligible risk for him to try and wing it all by himself (while buck naked to boot). You just know the Skull Knight is lying in wait ready to spring (he hints it's why he's here in episode 363). In a way, Griffith is also in a pickle, he's "waking up" in probably the last place he wants to be!

Besides, there's much more development that needs to take place on the island, including stuff we already got teased like Schierke learning to summon Daimons. They can't leave precipitately because this is basically their second to last stop before the big showdown, and the next one (the Bakiraka fortress) won't afford nearly the same opportunities. So my take is: Griffith leaves after a quick skirmish (lasting from a few pages to a full episode) and some smack talk. He later sends in the troops and a big battle ensues. The good guys win, but it's harrowing. Guts' group leaves afterwards (they can't stay on the island for too long anyway) with renewed determination despite having only a slim hope.

Now, in theory Griffith himself could return with his shock troops and take part in the battle directly. They can't travel there by themselves anyway. But the main reason I like the idea of another member of the God Hand attacking (either alone or separately from the apostles) is because Conrad or Ubik could be killed (with tremendous effort) and the story would progress naturally. However Griffith can't be defeated at this point, and yet he also can't just crush them. Could there be a crazy stalemate where it still feels real and dramatic? Well, I'm sure Miura could have done it (or anything else), but it seems harder to pull off.

Well, I won't argue the point further, but where's the billion dollar Patreon goal where you engineer what the rest of Berserk would have probably been like in detail by extrapolating the existing material and it's most likely outcomes? Sure, you won't get some things Miura had yet to introduce, but you'll probably even decipher a few of those by what's still necessary and missing, but if he didn't leave behind series notes I'll gladly read yours, buddy. :slan:

In any case, I have to go against the general sentiment here and say that I sure wish we could have gotten episode 365, because I bet you it would have been absolutely amazing, and an even better place to leave the series at. But as the Skull Knight would say: you don't always get what you wish for.

Oh, I wish we'd gotten them all, man. I'd love to be confirmed wrong about all this. I think 363 was about the least cliffhangery unintentional ending possible short of an actual series chapter or arc ending where the group had decided to stay in Elfhelm indefinitely before Griffith or anything could come mess it up. Short of that, it was always going to be an obvious interruption wherever it stopped (besides all the loose ends in any case). Still, big picture-wise, as much as I wouldn't trade this episode and it's generous revelations for the world (really serendipitous how much got addressed, actually; and as a Griff fan I couldn't have reasonably asked for more), 363 happened to work better as an ambiguous, poignant stopping point. This also happened to be a really specific, messy and esoteric event that even series regulars don't understand as opposed to something universal and poetic like, "it ends with him reuniting with his lost son." :ganishka:

There's some mental wiggle room and gymnastics that could be performed here, but that's a discussion appropriate for... well, never. =)

It's just not the same drawing style.

It's strangely comforting confirmation that people were always wrong when they'd blame assistants for what they thought was a weird face or panel because, yes, the difference here with Guts and the boy on that page is so stark, it was like nothing Miura had ever drawn before. Makes me appreciate the boundaries of his signature style more, even as it evolved.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, he's clearly describing the boys feelings, and the Femto part is when they're all gone. Despite the tear and clear emotion, he doesn't look altogether friendly to me either, like he's keeping dignified as he explains this but is not necessarily pleased with this situation as you allude to

Indeed. The single tear we see on the page is the one he's talking about when he says it accompanies the disappearance of the faint emotions that remain as he "wakes up". It doesn't precede more feelings, it marks the end of the boy's feelings as he gets shoved back into the closet in the basement.

Anyway, the really brilliant part of this dialogue that should be puzzled over and appreciated is how it deceptively works thematically for both characters even though one's feelings are clearly being conveyed by the other (Miura saved us on one hand, gave us something else to correct for the next decade on the other =).

Yep! It's absolutely brilliant. It's also going to be tiring real fast to explain to people. :ganishka:

It's really a final masterstroke for both these characters, with obvious implications for the others.

Of course, and that's been the play with having Femto take over the child's body from the beginning. How do you make a purely evil, emotionless bad guy interesting? Well, just like that. It's a masterstroke that was planned more than 20 years ago. Like Walter was telling me earlier, the boy is the real martyr of the series, the ultimate tragic figure. Guts was dealt a shitty hand at birth, but the boy was victimized before birth and has had nothing but hardships since.

Well, I won't argue the point further, but where's the billion dollar Patreon goal where you engineer what the rest of Berserk would have probably been like in detail by extrapolating the existing material and it's most likely outcomes? Sure, you won't get some things Miura had yet to introduce, but you'll probably even decipher a few of those by what's still necessary and missing, but if he didn't leave behind series notes I'll gladly read yours, buddy. :slan:

All in due time!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence guys. :farnese:
I do plan to post my thoughts on the matter eventually. Not like I'll have anything else to do! First to detail what I believe remains to be addressed in the series, and later on to propose coherent ways the story could have unfolded.

Spoilers: Femto does not get redeemed at the end.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I do plan to post my thoughts on the matter eventually. Not like I'll have anything else to do! First to detail what I believe remains to be addressed in the series, and later on to propose coherent ways the story could have unfolded.

No problem! I figured you'd get around to it, eventually. Please don't feel any pressure, though.

Spoilers: Agreed. :femto:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh

just theorizing

In classic Miura Fashion, i feel that he would just make our jaws drop in the very next episode. like things would turn ugly almost instantly. perhaps Femto immediately acts and goes for Elfhems defenses or even go after Danan and succeed.. Skullknight does not hesitate so he would strike at Femto immediately and potentially lose his life.. anyone's life is on the line actually

or perhaps the forces Elfhelm can successfully capture one of the God Hand,. and Falconias leadership falls on Charlotte, but gets taken over by Locus. Time shenanigans occur obviously. making Griffith missing for years

The Behelit being activated would also be very intereting, perhaps Cascas mental anguish after seeing Griffith will summons the God Hand right then and there..

it would be amazing whatever happened next,, Mr. Miura never disappointed

Well, I won't argue the point further, but where's the billion dollar Patreon goal where you engineer what the rest of Berserk would have probably been like in detail by extrapolating the existing material and it's most likely outcomes?
It’s probably in the same place a patreon for a proper full anime adaption is.
:judo:

i apologize if this has been addressed already, but MB wearing the berserker armor felt like some interesting potential foreshadowing? i'm not nearly as well versed as you all so i'm sorry if that's a glib comment.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!

Do you know of anyone who really wants such a thing? I saw this mentioned on reddit, but the commenter there didn’t want that. I don’t think even the fujoshis necessarily want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom