Themes of masculinity in Berserk

I was reading up on masculinity in the Bible and the views it expresses on what being a man is, and as I read though it the story of Guts the struggler came forefront in my mind.

If you are interested please take a quick read to see how many parallels there are in this to Gut's story and personal redemption, its beautifully accurate to the story.

The part that really got me was "Biblical masculinity boils down to three words: Pursue, Provide, Protect." Those three words encapsulate the entire personal transformation of Guts in the story.

I hope ya'll got something out of this connection,
Thanks for the time and struggle on brothers!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like quite a stretch to me. The descriptions given for "Pursue" and "Provide" in the article you linked do not really fit Guts' story at all. And protecting someone is a rather common theme in stories. :shrug:

Seems like quite a stretch to me. The descriptions given for "Pursue" and "Provide" in the article you linked do not really fit Guts' story at all. And protecting someone is a rather common theme in stories. :shrug:
It might be a stretch. I think the difference in description is because the article is written in a real life focus, where examples like artful and constructive activities are listed. Meanwhile in Midland the themes and actions of what is good and evil are a lot more carnal, visual, and obvious.
I don't think that the themes themselves are the beautiful things about Berserk and Guts, themes like these as you say are usually universal in most stories. I think that Berserk and this article go well together because of how well Guts emotes and embodies the male struggle for what is the right thing to do as an unrighteous and human character as he goes from murderous revenge to being a mentor, a leader, and the redeemer of Casca.

Top Bottom