Games to look forward to!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I find it annoying that visceral was basically killed off by EA and now are having their game remade by another group.

Yep. Unfortunately I see this remake as more of a cash grab than a real attempt at restarting the franchise. Not holding my breath for it, even though I loved the original.

Speaking as someone who's played Devil May Cry 3 and enjoyed it enough for one playthrough but not enough for more, would Bayonetta be worth trying? I have an interest in the character action genre but I very rarely replay games more then once so I don't know if there are any games in the genre for me.

Is it worth giving Bayonetta a chance?

Speaking as someone who's played Devil May Cry 3 and enjoyed it enough for one playthrough but not enough for more, would Bayonetta be worth trying? I have an interest in the character action genre but I very rarely replay games more then once so I don't know if there are any games in the genre for me.

Is it worth giving Bayonetta a chance?
Bayo 1 was my first experience with character action, I picked a second-hand copy just to see what the fuss was about when Bayo 2 was announced as a Wii U exclusive. After my first play through I went straight into a second. The combat system is a lot of fun, mastering Witch Time and Wicked Weaves is very cathartic. But if you only ended up doing one play through you’d be missing out. You can unlock new weapon sets as you go and experimenting with mixing hand and foot combinations adds variety to replays.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles

EDIT:
Also this:

Love the music choice.

EDIT2:
I swear is the last edit:

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing an obscure mech tactics game like Front Mission, which is one of my favorites, get such special treatment gave me a really warm feeling today.

This was one of the many latter-day Square games for SNES that didn't make it over to the states in any reasonable time frame. I remember seeing its name at the back of EGM as the top-selling game in Japan around the time that Chrono Trigger hit stateside. And all I could do was wonder about what it was. But now, in the course of 2 years, Square has ported 3 of those lost SNES games to Switch: Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana's sequel), Romancing SaGa 3, and now Front Mission. It's been a pretty incredible turn of events for someone like me who had pined over owning these games on a decent console and not some shitty emulator.

So seeing that, and that it looks actually decent instead of shovelware, was the highlight of the Nintendo Direct for me. Though my son is psyched for the new Kirby game.

I half-expected to see Miyamoto show up to debut the next big Mario game. It's been a while, right? Odyssey was back in 2017, 5 years ago this fall. Maybe in a few months we'll see something.

I'm glad for Chrono Cross and the two others.
Seeing that they are able to release a remake of Live A Live... they should definitely bring back Bahamut Lagoon !
I'm hoping for Vagrant Story remake/remaster since years too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, if it weren't for Elden Ring I'd say I was bummed they were moving it out. But as it is, I've got PLENTY of stuff to do in that vein already this year. Fine to wait a few more months.

Speaking of Kirby, my son finished it over the weekend and thought it was great. I watched a bit of it. Seemed like it has a lot less content in it than Star Allies (previous game).

Yep, if it weren't for Elden Ring I'd say I was bummed they were moving it out. But as it is, I've got PLENTY of stuff to do in that vein already this year. Fine to wait a few more months.

Speaking of Kirby, my son finished it over the weekend and thought it was great. I watched a bit of it. Seemed like it has a lot less content in it than Star Allies (previous game).
At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo was busy working in additional features for BOTW 2 on their next console. It still feels a bit too early for the next switch. But BOTW launching with the switch definitely helped catapult it in some ways. Launching without a Zelda or Mario title could be risky.

I really want to invest in Kirby even if it has less content than star allies. I see star Allies as a sort of send off to 2D kirby games. So supporting this new stuff is nice. But Elden ring also has me bogged down currently.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo was busy working in additional features for BOTW 2 on their next console. It still feels a bit too early for the next switch. But BOTW launching with the switch definitely helped catapult it in some ways. Launching without a Zelda or Mario title could be risky.

Given that their planned refresh of the Switch had to be downgraded (became Switch OLED) because of the component shortage, I wouldn't be surprised if that 2023 date coincided perfectly with the release of the next version (whether a "Switch 2" or "Switch Pro Turbo Ultra").

Anyway, I personally don't mind the delay. Let them take their time and make it the best Zelda yet.

Resident Evil 4! (March 24th next year).

Was thinking of firing up the original but I'll wait for this one for now.

---

The Callisto Protocol, by Dead Space director Glen Schofield.

Looks awesome. Hope it lives up to DS.

Last edited:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Resident Evil 4! (March 24th next year).

I have to say... pretty underwhelming trailer for one of the best and most influential games ever. What's up with Capcom and basic white text on black backgrounds in their promotions lately? I guess they're putting all the money into the actual products by editing the trailers in Microsoft Movie Maker.:shrug:

The Callisto Protocol, by Dead Space director Glen Schofield.

Graphics look good of course, title sucks though, what I presume is main character is nothing special and it just looks like another zombie shooter. I mean, Dead Space was too, but I thought the creature designs and emphasis on severing their limbs at least made it unique.

Maybe I'm just not in the mood right now. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say... pretty underwhelming trailer for one of the best and most influential games ever. What's up with Capcom and basic white text on black backgrounds in their promotions lately? I guess they're putting all the money into the actual products by editing the trailers in Microsoft Movie Maker.:shrug:

Same, honestly. I enjoyed the VR remake on the Quest 2 as it felt like replaying the original (even though basically everything was upgraded), but these modern remakes they're pumping out aren't that alluring to me after RE2. Can't help but feel whatever they change might not be for the best, especially given how big the game is.

Graphics look good of course, title sucks though, what I presume is main character is nothing special and it just looks like another zombie shooter. I mean, Dead Space was too, but I thought the creature designs and emphasis on severing their limbs at least made it unique.

There's also the fact Dead Space came out 14 years ago... It was novel then: zombies... IN SPACE! Had a bunch of things that made it unique, too. In comparison, this is more of the same, just in 4K.

I don’t need a remake as a excuse to play through RE4 nearly every year. However, I’ll take it.

Also, I really want to Play that fan made RE inventory puzzle game. Few things are as satisfying as getting all your junk just right in that damn item case.

Hehe. Well, I only played Dead Space back when it came out, and never played Resident Evil 4 past the intro area. So both upcoming games should feel fresh enough for me!

My only concern for RE4 is whether it will be treated the same way 3 was. I vividly remember Griffith's scathing, but fair, review of RE3make two years ago. I hope 4 will be more in the vein of RE2, that Capcom will treat it with more respect this time around and not simply as another cash grab.

Griffith

Same, honestly. I enjoyed the VR remake on the Quest 2 as it felt like replaying the original (even though basically everything was upgraded), but these modern remakes they're pumping out aren't that alluring to me after RE2. Can't help but feel whatever they change might not be for the best, especially given how big the game is.
My only concern for RE4 is whether it will be treated the same way 3 was. I vividly remember Griffith's scathing, but fair, review of RE3make. I hope 4 will be more in the vein of RE2, that Capcom will treat it with more respect this time around.

Yeah, after the RE3make debacle I'm skeptical they're even going to do half this game and not yada yada yada the back end, like do the village mostly faithfully but then half ass and muddle the castles and industrial shit. The difference is apparent as they put years into RE2make and now it just feels like these are getting pumped out as Aaz says.

If they're going to be more like the abridged editions I'd rather they be doing something that could have benefitted from a revisionist take like Code: Veronica. That game did have a great premise/opening concept, it just needed the most operatic elements to be removed, tempered or grounded. A CV remake in the style of RE3make would actually work. It goes back to my theory that instead of remaking classics they should only remake flawed movies or games that didn't quite work the first time or were disappointing and fix what was wrong with them.

There's also the fact Dead Space came out 14 years ago... It was novel then: zombies... IN SPACE! Had a bunch of things that made it unique, too. In comparison, this is more of the same, just in 4K.

I'm not even sure it's the same in a good way, looks boring. Plus, giving it a dumb, stilted name like The Meaningless Made Up Name Protocol sure doesn't roll off the tongue like DEAD SPACE. It still has potential given the pedigree, but otherwise it doesn't look like anything special as of yet.

I don’t need a remake as a excuse to play through RE4 nearly every year. However, I’ll take it.

Or, enjoy replaying roughly half the material from RE4!

Also, I really want to Play that fan made RE inventory puzzle game. Few things are as satisfying as getting all your junk just right in that damn item case.

:ganishka:

This is like hunting down the prison food you had to eat during a decades long sentence on the outside.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, after the RE3make debacle I'm skeptical they're even going to do half this game and not yada yada yada the back end, like do the village mostly faithfully but then half ass and muddle the castles and industrial shit. The difference is apparent as they put years into RE2make and now it just feels like these are getting pumped out as Aaz says.

Yeah and to be clear, I ended up somewhat disappointed by their RE2 remake in the first place, as they cut corners on the B scenarios and made changes to the later game that I don't think were for the best. It's the problem with these remakes, and something that FF7 also shows: when the original title had a huge scope and was an enormous effort by that period's standards, remaking it with the same scope and quality but with modern technology can be extremely difficult.

If they're going to be more like the abridged editions I'd rather they be doing something that could have benefitted from a revisionist take like Code: Veronica. That game did have a great premise/opening concept, it just needed the most operatic elements to be removed, tempered or grounded. A CV remake in the style of RE3make would actually work. It goes back to my theory that instead of remaking classics they should only remake flawed movies or games that didn't quite work the first time or were disappointing and fix what was wrong with them.

Great point! Why remake things that were already perfect or close when you could instead fix things that fell short of it? I definitely would be more interested in getting an alternate take on CV than I am with RE4.

I'm not even sure it's the same in a good way, looks boring. Plus, giving it a dumb, stilted name like The Meaningless Made Up Name Protocol sure doesn't roll off the tongue like DEAD SPACE. It still has potential given the pedigree, but otherwise it doesn't look like anything special as of yet.

Oh yeah, I didn't even mean specifically like Dead Space, it's just that there's been 500 zombies shooters coming out per year for 15 years in a row, so it really does feel like a "paint by numbers" thing at this point. And frankly the story elements revealed in the trailer already seem less intriguing than the ones from Dead Space.

Anyway, know what I'm looking forward to? STRAY! Hope it's good. No kidding it's the first time I'll be booting my PS4 in years.

Griffith

Yeah and to be clear, I ended up somewhat disappointed by their RE2 remake in the first place, as they cut corners on the B scenarios and made changes to the later game that I don't think were for the best.

Yeah, it goes to show how unique and special the original really was because they basically had the mission statement of making a bigger, better version but ended up having to curtail and streamline their efforts in the end. I still really like the result though, being a remake aside, they really figured out how to do that over the shoulder "shooter" perspective without completely deminishing the survival horror aspect and making even the lowliest enemies a threat (the variance in damage zombies could take made them a problem). And those flooded areas with the power out in the police station... :magni:

They also took the Nemesis mechanic to the next level, and a lot of other nice touches if you're a classic RE fan. Oh yeah, they actually did the drama in a way the was still like a b horror movie, but not a bad horror movie. Anyway, it's not classic RE2 done right, but I believe it does it justice for being a really good game in its own right, while still reaffirming the primacy of the original in a weird way.

BTW, my mind is even more blown by the 1998 gas prices now!

It's the problem with these remakes, and something that FF7 also shows: when the original title had a huge scope and was an enormous effort by that period's standards, remaking it with the same scope and quality but with modern technology can be extremely difficult.

What's funny is it shows this via two opposite approaches, or reactions, to this reality: Capcom essentially cut their losses halfway through and said, "fuck it, uh, addition by subtraction, we're simplifying this shit!" And Square can't seem to help expanding and adding things, to the point they made the first 15% of the game feel as big as the original, and even like it could be wading into new, parallel or even sequel territory, begging the question how they'll reasonably do the rest in this style at all, if they haven't already spun out of control. I think the answer is they're either going to be releasing half a dozen of these over a decade or more, or they're going to seriously compromise whatever the big crazy idea was and hem closer to the original, or, worst case scenario, go the Capcom route and cut it down into something else entirely ala RE3make. Which, not coincidentally, came out a year after the original and it's looking like Capcom will have RE4 out too before the next FF7R installment.

Great point! Why remake things that were already perfect or close when you could instead fix things that fell short of it?

Especially because there's no shortage of things we got hyped for but we're disappointed, which could easily be fixed and made into what we thought they could be with hindsight.

I definitely would be more interested in getting an alternate take on CV than I am with RE4.

Case in point, and it's like giving us the opposite of anticipation: we're actually scared of being disappointed with something we already love!

Oh yeah, I didn't even mean specifically like Dead Space, it's just that there's been 500 zombies shooters coming out per year for 15 years in a row, so it really does feel like a "paint by numbers" thing at this point. And frankly the story elements revealed in the trailer already seem less intriguing than the ones from Dead Space.

Yeah, and I remember being really impressed with how fleshed out Dead Space was upon release. It may have just been good marketing but it felt like they immediately had supplementary videos and media with backstory, lore, etc. I just saw it all at a friend's house and was like, "where'd all this come from?" And the game was great and warranted it!

Anyway, know what I'm looking forward to? STRAY! Hope it's good. No kidding it's the first time I'll be booting my PS4 in years.

Wow, it's the futuristic stray cat simulator I didn't know I needed!? Save me some room on the bandwagon.

Top Bottom