Shichirō Kobayashi, Art Director for Berserk (97) Passes Away

Wasn't familiar with him until now, but this is very sad news. Berserk 97 goes without saying had very good art direction, but Angels egg? No wonder I liked the look of that movie so much the Art director is the same as Berserk. Something about the look and feel of them both is really enchanting and beautiful, a lot of 90s anime have that quality too. I would really recommend watching angel's egg it's on YouTube, it's really a visual spectacle. rest in peace seems the guy was 90 and he probably had a really fulfilling life doing what he loved. Still crushed that Miura couldn't live that long and get to do all he wanted.

Still crushed that Miura couldn't live that long and get to do all he wanted.

I feel this way from time to time, but it's also true that the number of years doesn't matter, but what you do with them. Miura-sensei surely had much more to offer the world, but he used his years wonderfully too.

Just look at this community that wouldn't exist without him.

Amazing resume he's got there. Lupin III is a classic, I loved Angel's Egg and found it eerily beautiful, and as for Berserk, well, the 97 anime is the reason I'm here, and we can attribute its quality to his work. It's sad that he's gone, but I'm glad that by all appearances, he lived a full life and with a respectable legacy. I hope he was satisfied with it.

Still crushed that Miura couldn't live that long and get to do all he wanted.

It just isn't fair.:judo: But if there is one positive thing to say, I'm glad he had friends like Mori and Chica Umino to mourn him. Looking at some of Miura's comments and the dopey doujins he drew, I was always concerned that he was lonely, depressed, and unsatisfied with his life. It's good to see that really wasn't the case at all.

The '97 Berserk anime wasn't perfect but it had a lot of great talent behind it. Sad to see this old talent pass on. He left behind a beautiful collection of work.

Incidentally, does anyone know if it was Shichirou Kobayashi or Yoshihiko Umakoshi behind the official character artwork? After Miura passed, and fans were speculating on its future, one of my first thoughts was handing it to this guy. I would've gladly seen a "light novel" with a synopsis of the plot accompanied by this style of artwork.
dZXdaGx.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Incidentally, does anyone know if it was Shichirou Kobayashi or Yoshihiko Umakoshi behind the official character artwork?

They got dual credits for the Laserdisc cover illustrations, if that's what you're asking about. I can't be bothered to go look for the anime's guidebook to see if there's more details, it's buried somewhere under a pile of books.

They got dual credits for the Laserdisc cover illustrations, if that's what you're asking about. I can't be bothered to go look for the anime's guidebook to see if there's more details, it's buried somewhere under a pile of books.
Hello, Aazealh. I was aware that both names had been credited for the promotional art, but I didn't know who specifically drew what. There's probably no way of finding out.

I know Yoshihiko Umakoshi has drawn a few Berserk sketches down the years, e.g.:

reUa1Bz.jpg

CGOOlmT.jpg

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
Any recommendations for the works of Shichiro besides Berserk '97? I don't know much about Angel's Egg, Revolutionary Girl Utina or Lupin III.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Any recommendations for the works of Shichiro besides Berserk '97? I don't know much about Angel's Egg, Revolutionary Girl Utina or Lupin III.

That's tough because he worked on a whole bunch of things. I'd say Angel's Egg is pretty unique in the anime landscape, and The Castle of Cagliostro is a classic Lupin III movie that was directed by Hayao Miyazaki. I don't know if you'd like Utena, but he also worked on Venus Wars, and I have to recommend Treasure Island and the old Cobra movie, both directed by the legendary Osamu Dezaki.

Top Bottom