A different scenario for post-Eclipse Casca

Hello I'm new on here and this has probably been asked before, but what do you guys think would/liked to have happened if Casca didn’t regress after the eclipse? I personally would have loved to see her getting all decked out in cool armor with a new sword and slaying demons with Guts. But after the eclipse im not quite sure she would be up for that. Anyways, what do you guys think? I would love to hear your thoughts!:shrug:

That sounds like a very interesting scenario, but I don't really know what would've happened if she didn't regress. It certainly could've been much better than having Casca be a "Vegetable" for 200 chapters and be useless.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
what do you guys think would/liked to have happened if Casca didn’t regress after the eclipse?

If Casca didn't regress after the Eclipse, Guts wouldn't have become the Black Swordsman and Berserk's story wouldn't exist. That's why things happen the way they do. Given that Guts as the Black Swordsman is the starting point for the series, no one from the Band of the Falcon could be by his side after the Eclipse. That's why Casca had to be incapacitated.

That being said, I was very much looking forward to seeing her back in action after she was healed. Because of how the narrative was constructed, I think her return is effectively more impactful than her never having regressed would have been. But unfortunately, since Miura unexpectedly passed away, we won't get much more than a rough approximation of what would have happened. :sad:

That sounds like a very interesting scenario, but I don't really know what would've happened if she didn't regress. It certainly could've been much better than having Casca be a "Vegetable" for 200 chapters and be useless.

Casca wasn't "a vegetable" (that's someone who cannot move their body) and she served a much bigger purpose for the story in the state she was in than if she had been herself and "decked out in cool armor and slaying demons with Guts". That's why you aren't able to think of a scenario: because it would be a completely different story.

Aaz, I always wondered, was the audience supposed to differentiate Elaine from Casca at times, or was that just a simple coincidence that the girls had to name her differently for obvious convinience?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aaz, I always wondered, was the audience supposed to differentiate Elaine from Casca at times, or was that just a simple coincidence that the girls had to name her differently for obvious convinience?

It's always been Casca. The girls named her Elaine because they didn't know her actual name, that's all. Then Casca referred to her impaired self like that when she woke up, but that was just to conveniently differentiate between the two "states". It's always been her and the reader isn't supposed to view them as different characters.

MommySlan

My birthday matches Berserk 1997 first airing.
I think the whole catatonic state that the aftermath brought upon Casca and her understanding of complex matters to be ultimately shattered as an amazing representation of the whole concept of trauma by itself. Berserk is a legitimate reason given by the author to drive his protagonist so far at the revenge pursuit that anything else would be ephemeral at the sight of this mad individual blinded by a brutal rage. I know a lot of us tend to reject minor characters such as Schierke and Farnese, but they are these pivotal characters that are there to stand for Guts and Casca (Elaine) both; It was so heartwarming to watch how much Guts put aside to preserve his loved one and the extremes he went to protect her and make her happy, even if she wasn't counsciously aware of it (at least, not in its entirety). All I regret is the fact that we won't be seeing the end that Miura-sensei long envisioned.

(Fuck! I thought Berserk would end with Griffith singing Karma Chameleon) :sad:
[gutstheme.mp3]

Last edited:
Top Bottom