Recent content by Frogacuda

1. F

Episode 369

It isn't the manga format that they're struggling with here, it's the concept of storytelling. Stories are not just a series of plot beats, they're in the telling. Any effort in which they are afraid to put words in character's mouths or fill in details, or consider pacing and tension is...
  2. F

Episode 369

I think this is correct, this is a very stripped down version of the story, but presented in the format of the real thing, and those two things are at odds. I was a big defender of doing the continuation as a manga, but their unwillingness to stray from or expand on what Miura laid out makes it...
  3. F

Episode 367

So I'm not totally clear, did Griffith stop Guts blow or did he manage to pull his strike somehow (seems physically impossible with a weapon like the Dragon Slayer but this is manga so...) when he noticed Casca?
  4. F

Episode 367

Hm, I didn't really get where he was coming from the first time I read it, other than "up", but re-reading it I see what you mean. It would have made sense to me if Zodd was already there laying in the cut as he has been for past moonlight boy outings, but that doesn't seem to be how it's set up...
  5. F

Episode 367

Too much is being made of Zodd's presence here without Sonia, based on the large and unfounded assumption that he just arrived, when we know from past encounters that he chaperone's the Moonlight Boy's outings. We can see him peeking over the hill during one of them. I think it's safe to say...
  6. F

Episodes 365 & 366

Of course Miura's absence is felt, and the continuation cannot change that. Miura was a completely singular talent. Nothing will undo that loss, and this isn't a replacement for what would have been. But while the execution may not be his, these are his characters, his story beats, his staff...
  7. F

Episodes 365 & 366

The question for me was never whether or not the change would be invisible, or whether it would be 100% of the same quality as before Miura's death. I can certainly see some panels where things feel slightly off from how we're used to. But I'm overall struck by how good the art still is, how...
  8. F

Episodes 365 & 366

I think the Griffith/Guts grudge is pretty one-sided at this point. Whether it's the influence of the moonlight child or the fact that killing Guts is simply irrelevant to his goals, Griffith doesn't seem to be actively hostile to Guts or care a great deal about the "incomplete sacrifice."
  9. F

Young Animal announces a continuation of Berserk by Studio Gaga, supervised by Kouji Mori

Another possible interpretation is that he means the broader strokes, like he says he won't try to do chapters that he didn't discuss or can't recall, he will stick to the core plot line. Which does not mean that he won't flesh it out in terms of adding scenes or dialog or smaller beats in the...
  10. F

Young Animal announces a continuation of Berserk by Studio Gaga, supervised by Kouji Mori

The question is not whether or not this is "Miura's Berserk." It's not. The question is really what will be the most satisfying and impactful way to tell the parts of the story that Miura didn't get to. A text summary, or a light novel, or anything else is not going to be any more of a "real"...
  11. F

Episodes 365 & 366

I think this is mostly semantics. Miura had said Fantasia would be the final arc, right? So whether we call this next part a chapter or an arc, it is still likely covering the same series of events.
  12. F

It's fundamentally going to be like an oral retelling of someone else's story. It's not going to be what it would have been. And I particularly worry that they won't be fleshing anything out because I think those small details are important to storytelling. But Berserk is probably around 75-80%...
  13. F

Kentarou Miura has passed away

I haven't been an active poster here in many years, but never because I went away, I've been lurking the whole time, always reading new chapters as soon as they dropped and poring over people's theories. I started reading Berserk back in... I want to say 2000, before "scanlations," back when...
  14. F

Young Animal is planning something for Berserk on October 9th

In this decade, we've never gotten more than 6 releases a year, and mostly far less. It's hard to see that as a huge setback. How many chapters do you guess there are left at this point? 50?
  15. F

Episode 361 (July 22)

Interesting theory, but wouldn't "Weed" or "Wido" be the more correct translation? Usually English V's are represented as B's in kana, as in Boido/Void.
Top Bottom