Recent content by JohnWayne

1. JohnWayne

Episode 370

Cheers for the clarification, then the whole structure of what's gone on and how it's paced even in terms of page count flies out the window.
  2. JohnWayne

Episode 370

Oh, 100%. There's a reason I ended my post by saying that nothing in either how the scene is framed in particular or the way the Continuation is handled at large makes me think that what I'm presenting is likelier than what's going on on the face of it, only that these are the respects in which...
  3. JohnWayne

Episode 370

When fantranslations produce dialogue better suited to coping analysis than the real thing. Lots of laugh. Makes no difference to the steelman I'm presenting though, the intent is the same. He's bemoaning that when he didn't trust anything he could trust his sword, his way of affecting physical...
  4. JohnWayne

Episode 370

Late, but on the topic of the monologue regarding Guts' sword if you want to steelman it you could make the case that even as far back as his mercenary days his sword was the representation of his ability to physically affect the world. Not necessarily successfully and it's certainly broken...
  5. JohnWayne

Episode 370

We're entirely in agreement that it could never match up to Miura's vision or execution. But examples like this episode are why it can't live up to his intent either because it's in moments like these that it tries and fails to make the move from summarizing broad events to summarizing specific...
  6. JohnWayne

Episode 370

If that is the sum of Miura's intent that Mori was made aware of when it comes to what is an essential turning point for the main character, then answering the prior question is pointless as the project itself as a transmission of Miura's intent is discredited by the lack of any real insight...
  7. JohnWayne

Episode 370

I'm glad more people are slowly coming around to this take. It's an idea who's time will increasingly come as more corners are cut. As for the actual episode though, I'm more mixed on it than the previous one. There are attempts at characterization and some of the beats I can follow what they...
  8. JohnWayne

Episode 369

That's the thing though, what I'm telling you also wouldn't be Fincher's vision. It would be my brief recollection of what I remembered from the film, much like this manga. I am the author in that case, not Fincher, much like Mori and the assistants are the authors now, not Miura. The point...
  9. JohnWayne

Episode 369

I've read your posts on the continuation and mostly agree on them, where the great gap is that you think there's potential that some version of this can convey Miura's original intent exactly as it really was whereas I think it can't. Only Miura is a testament to himself. This'll always be...
  10. JohnWayne

Episode 369

Where I and you and @Griffith disagree is that the format chosen can be a good conveyance of Miura's intent while being a bad manga. My position is that this is impossible because the method chosen, that of a narrative manga, condemned it to always be an adaptation of Miura's remembered ideas...
  11. JohnWayne

Episode 369

Far from it, I said at the end explicitly that there's no guarantee that what they produce would be any better if they were free from these restrictions, at least on the artist side. But Mori for his part is at the very least a decent writer with experience writing manga. To produce what he's...
  12. JohnWayne

Episode 369

The project goes beyond following Miura's intent in the structural sense, it is trying to reproduce Miura's style and what they know of his story. But they can't do the former since they're not Miura and what Mori knows of the story, even if he knows the entirety of the broad strokes going to...
  13. JohnWayne

Episode 369

It's entirely denatured by default. No one except Miura can deliver on Miura's story and Berserk is in every aspect his story. The frame of the post-Miura episodes as a legitimate continuation made by the people closest to Miura are a big part of why it lands the worst among the people most...
  14. JohnWayne

Episode 369

I sincerely doubt it's intentional too, by all accounts the two were as close as it gets, but that is no guarantee you won't misread the material. The Dune sequels were made by Frank's son and they still managed to miss everything about the originals except there being worms in pseudo-feudal...
  15. JohnWayne

Episode 369

Speaking of the Gurus and what @Skeleton brought up, the way Griffith and Zodd effortlessly and quickly dispatch the isle's inhabitants and all of the Elfheim characters are written out unceremoniously in the span of a handful pages with seemingly no consequences short of healing Casca, who's...
Top Bottom