Recent content by Masa

1. Masa

New interview with Mori about Miura, Berserk and more

BERSERK should have died as an unfinished masterpiece. If they wanted to release a cliffnotes version to give fans some kind of closure, that's one thing. However, it was always 'optimistic' to think that a seminal work that was so masterfully auteured could ever be continued in the same...
  2. Masa

Volume 42 release

Left almost looks AI-generated. Something about the faces. Also, aren't Guts' proportions off here? His body looks too long. Unless the seamen are midgets?
  3. Masa

Episode 371

The Dragon Slayer has memories now? I know it's imbued with astral power, but it's not sentient right? That's the impression I got from the latest episode. Sadly, this continuation only compounds the absence of Miura with each instalment. Guts having an emotional nadir after the loss of Casca...
  4. Masa

Shichirō Kobayashi, Art Director for Berserk (97) Passes Away

Hello, Aazealh. I was aware that both names had been credited for the promotional art, but I didn't know who specifically drew what. There's probably no way of finding out. I know Yoshihiko Umakoshi has drawn a few Berserk sketches down the years, e.g.:
  5. Masa

Elden Ring (New From Soft Game)

I've played every Souls game and Bloodborne religiously but I'm barely into Elden Ring and dropped it :sad: And I've no plans to pick it up soon. Strangely enough, I can't put my finger on why. Perhaps the idea of an open-world Souls game sounds better in theory than practice? Aside from reading...
  6. Masa

Shichirō Kobayashi, Art Director for Berserk (97) Passes Away

The '97 Berserk anime wasn't perfect but it had a lot of great talent behind it. Sad to see this old talent pass on. He left behind a beautiful collection of work. Incidentally, does anyone know if it was Shichirou Kobayashi or Yoshihiko Umakoshi behind the official character artwork? After...
  7. Masa

Episode 369

Did Danan turn out to be a nothingburger? Why was she utterly helpless when everything went south? Rhetorical question, we can surmise why. Mori wasn't told what to do with her. I can't believe she would've been a glorified extra in Miura's version.
  8. Masa

Episode 368

At the end of the day, we are left with a pale imitation. And I don't mean that as any slight towards Studio Gaga. It is a credit to them that they can stylistically emulate their sensei's artwork, but Miura's use of panelling and full page spreads were in a class of their own. They're also...
  9. Masa

Episode 367

I'm mostly ambivalent to
  10. Masa

Young Animal announces a continuation of Berserk by Studio Gaga, supervised by Kouji Mori

Naturally, a lot of fans are hyped about the announcement. Personally, I would've preferred that Berserk was left as an unfinished masterpiece. While I don't doubt Kouji Mori and Studio Gaga's intentions or abilities, Miura was too strong an auteur and too masterful an artist to continue the...
  11. Masa

Episode 364

Today was an emotional day :sad:
  12. Masa

Episode 364

Thanks so much for the link! Bagged myself a copy. No way I’m missing this!
  13. Masa

Episode 364

I have a lot of different emotions. Obviously I’m ecstatic that we get to see Miura’s final gift to us, but it’s also going to be very moving to know this was the last thing he worked on before his death. It will open up those wounds that I hoped were healing. 363 ended in such a way that...
  14. Masa

Uncertainty about Berserk's future

For me, it’s simple: If Miura couldn’t get to see the ending of his life’s work, no one else should. If they choose to release cliff notes (if any exist) with some previously unseen sketches, that would be cool to satisfy my curiosity but I’ve come to terms with BERSERK being an unfinished...
  15. Masa

What Are You Playing?

From the start, I was one of the few FFVII fans who never wanted a remake. First of all, remakes rarely ever top the original or come close. Upgraded visuals and faster gameplay aren't the point. FFVII wasn't the best-looking game on PS1 even for its time, but the stylized character models...
Top Bottom