Recent content by tmichael

1. tmichael

Game of Thrones TV [spoilers]

Not gonna waste my time even unpacking why I’m bummed. Absolute worst way to handle the death of every single character who died tonight. Absolutely revolting episode.
  2. tmichael

Totally agree. Pick a show to write and write it. This could've been a really interesting fantasy show, a really interesting palace intrigue show, or both, but those elements need to inform one another if they're both gonna be around. Clearly, they've chosen to oscillate and used the fantasy...
  3. tmichael

I think the thing that this season has shown me is people finally getting on my page about the shock value season finales. I was actually deeply irritated that an intra-royal battle involving the church was a plot that literally just imploded, with the most powerful individual in that situation...
  4. tmichael

I think the most impressive thing about the last couple seasons of this show is that they've managed to simultaneously make every episode feel tedious and meandering and the overall plot of the show feel rushed. It's really some kind of case study for meditations on how humans experience time or...
  5. tmichael

Berserk: The Flame Dragon Knight novel

Yeah, that was the feeling I got. Berserk seems to "humanely" present horrific and appalling imagery - that is, it serves a narrative and thematic purpose, and if you read it attentively it's hard to make the mistake that Miura is being sadistic or excited by the violence he's depicting. These...
  6. tmichael

Episode 358

Griffith has already demonstrated that he doesn't have much empathy left in him, save when the former Demon Child now Moonlight Boy (or however that transition has actually worked) takes over. If the plan is empire-wide sacrifice, it would be super confusing to me for him to not be an active...
  7. tmichael

Berserk: The Flame Dragon Knight novel

:schnoz: Those are all such disgusting mental images and with entirely clunky verbiage. I had thought the book was gonna be a bit embarrassing, but this is sort of completely appalling.
  8. tmichael

Movies to dread

There's more to complain about than this, but the way they had the background music clip in and out with every Jim Carrey line in the sort of late middle of the trailer really annoyed me, and I don't know why they did that. As far as the movie goes, I feel like Jim Carrey as Robotnik is kind of...
  9. tmichael

Episode 358

All respect to Miura on this point. I feel like so much fiction lately has gotten derailed by fan appeasement, and this guy's just quietly drawing up medieval paintings day in and day out that completely unsettle the part of the fanbase who stuck around for MEAN MAN SWING SWORD. The subreddit...
  10. tmichael

Episode 358

I feel like the parenthetical indicates Passione was explicitly acknowledging that. To your point Passione, I agree that I would be very interested to see more fleshing out of the characters outside of Guts's immediate party, if only because the pace of the series seems to be picking up and I...
  11. tmichael

I'm actually hoping that NK is the latest subverted fantasy trope and that the battle is won but that that doesn't mean as much as the realm actually being led well. I'd be most satisfied with a one-two punch of NK and Cersei being finished up (in whatever order) and then the reality of having...
  12. tmichael

Episode 358

I'm finally fully caught up and can check in on this part of the forums without spoiling myself! I am feeling so excited for the new episode this weekend (got my pre-order all set up and looking forward to translation) and have been so struck with so many emotions through this last volume...
  13. tmichael

What are you watching? (television thread)

Binged Neon Genesis Evangelion over the weekend. I've tried to watch it several times before and could never quite get into it, but I pretty much watched it in two sittings. Completely floored and unsettled by it. Also thought that Episodes 25 and 26 really stuck the landing, but I admit I'm...
  14. tmichael

I feel like this episode and the last one are pretty complementary but frustrating. I agree, Griffith, that this one was much more hamfisted and rushed the plot along. While there were plenty of dumb character interactions, I felt that the ones they nailed were really high water marks, and there...
Top Bottom