What are you listening to? (general music thread)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly old news at this point, but Radiohead posted about 18h of recording sessions of OK Computer after a failed ransom attack. I don't particularly like the rest of Radiohead's career, but this has remained one of my favorite albums, so hearing all this stuff is pretty incredible. Versions of songs that meander into completely different directions than was ultimately laid down in the studio, it's very surreal.

Here's the story, along with a link to grab the full set (~$22): https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/radiohead-leaked-ok-computer-material/

Yesterday, my Soundtracks For The Blind (and Die Tür Ist Zu) CD set that I ordered came in. Although I've listened to it before years back, I still always come back to it no matter what. It's such a great album. My favorite song from the album has to be Animus.

Yesterday, my Soundtracks For The Blind (and Die Tür Ist Zu) CD set that I ordered came in. Although I've listened to it before years back, I still always come back to it no matter what. It's such a great album. My favorite song from the album has to be Animus.

I love Swans! I've been getting into them more and more lately. Although I've been listening to them off and on for probably 15 years.

Currently listening to this while I work on some stuff. It's a pretty killer playlist.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Been blaring the new Tool album all morning. So much has happened to me in the last 13 years since 10,000 days, so it's somewhat surreal hearing new material.

Right now I'm listening to this:

Great music!

Branded_Swordsman

"Strain your eyes at the darkness around us."

So “Animal Life” by Shearwater showed up on a random Spotify playlist and it reminded me of Berserk. The vocalist sounds like a herald from a medieval court, the music builds in a way that feels really epic, and the lyrics are full of imagery that could be found inside of Berserk’s world. The lines that stick out:

“Charging down the maw of the ocean…I held your name inside my mouth through all the days of wandering.” The first part obviously makes me think of the time our boy killed a sea god. And the name could be Griffith or Casca depending on what chapter of the story you’re looking at.

“Cast away like a dog from the shelter, I shed the dulling armor plates that once collected radiance.” This line makes me think about the transition from Golden Age Guts to the Black Swordman.

“No joy in building love in the finishing, chasing down an anodyne and half reflected radiance.” This one makes me think about Griffith’s dream and the way it took precedence over the bonds of love shared by the Band of the Hawk.

“And surging at the blood’s perimeter, the half remembered wild interior of an animal life!” It’s the final line of the song. It makes me think of all the panels where Gut’s and Schierke are working together to keep the Beast of Darkness in check while he’s using the armor.

There’s also a peppering of Roman Catholic imagery that makes me think of the Holy See and a hearty dose of longing for better days.

I don’t think that there’s any real connection between the song and Berserk. But I found the connections interesting and thought I’d share. What this really goes to show is that I probably think about Berserk too much.

Have fun struggling!

COIL - Queens of the Circulating Library.

Been listening to a LOT of the album Swanyard by them too. I'm fucking addicted to this album.

Also listened to the EP trilogy (Not the Actual Events, Add Violence and Bad Witch) by Nine Inch Nails a couple times while cleaning earlier.

Took a listen to Gojira's The Art of Dying as well.

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
I found a nice band in the strangest way possible. I was playing Euro Truck Simulator 2, and I turned on the online radio that comes with the game. I put a polish radio, Roxy FM I think it was called. Some songs passed and one in particular got all my attention. It was a polish song and the chorus was the only part in english, the only part I understood. So I searched for it, I found the song, and in the process I discovered a band that will stay in my playlists for a long time. I got no idea what the lyrics are about but I'm just loving it. Thanks Euro Truck Simulator 2 !

The song and the band:

Do you know this song and/or band?

I'm listening to new Carbon Based Lifeforms album containing remix tracks of older tracks and stuff like that, it's called ALT:02. Genre is psybient/psychill/downtempo.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Sort of embarrassingly I'm taking a deep dive for the first time at Bowies discography. I know a lot of his material just from being alive, but I never listened to any album fully until now, starting at the very earliest beginning. Currently on Diamond Dogs and man I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The live stuff even more. The bands he surrounded himself with were great.

Sort of embarrassingly I'm taking a deep dive for the first time at Bowies discography.
I'm not familiar with his discography either, maybe 2 or 3 songs tops.

Sort of related/ not related - as someone who's heavily into metal, I get a lot of flak from my close buds for not being familiar with Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead. I've heard some of their songs but only because other bands have covered them and featured em on their albums. It's something I'm never in the mood to check out or seek. With Maiden - I can't get into those clean power metal vocals. I gotta get over those mental blocks haha.

For anyone who's a fan of Strapping Young Lad or Devin Townsend, he has a podcast (on YT) where he goes over the writing process of some of the albums he's been involved with. It's heart-breaking to listen and he's such a great story-teller. I've read a bit about his past and troubles but this is wholesome cos it's coming directly from him, unlike a Q&A in an interview.

Last edited:
Mostly black metal, viking metal, and folk metal. More specifically, Venom, Bathory, Korpiiklani, and Ensiferum. It all scratches a weird sort of itch I've had lately, especially if I listen to them while playing Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, or the new Animal Crossing game.

Sort of embarrassingly I'm taking a deep dive for the first time at Bowies discography. I know a lot of his material just from being alive, but I never listened to any album fully until now...
Don't be too embarrassed. I've also not really listened to much Bowie, and like IncantatioN have only heard a small handful of songs. Pop in general isn't so much my lane, outside of pretty much Jpop that anime helped me get into, like Hirasawa and Hironobu Kageyama. Bowie's definitely in the backlog with many other things, though.

Sort of related/ not related - as someone who's heavily into metal, I get a lot of flak from my close buds for not being familiar with Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead. I've heard some of their songs but only because other bands have covered them and featured em on their albums. It's something I'm never in the mood to check out or seek. With Maiden - I can't get into those clean power metal vocals. I gotta get over those mental blocks haha.
I'm pretty nostalgic for all of those bands, sans Motorhead, and they're all undoubtedly historically important to the evolution of the sub-genre, but over time they've ended up not staying near the top of my working "favorite metal bands" list.

That said, I'll always advise anyone who is heavily into metal that said artists are worth (eventually) familiarizing yourself with, if for no reason other than to gain a more full understanding and appreciation of the canvas that future metal acts are painting over, to to speak; to see more clearly the artistic flourishes that subsequent metal musicians made in tweaking and bending the existing genre to their liking.

Naturally, that entails seeing what the genre would have been like for them at the time that their musical sensibilities were being shaped. Following my reasoning, though, leads to an infinite regress, as heavy metal itself was a twist on existing forms of hard/heavy rock in the 1960's, which was an evolution of rock, which was a synthesis of other existing genres, and so on. At the moment, I've only really gone as far back as proto-metal, since that's still metal-adjacent.

Also, Iron Maiden has had two other vocalists besides Bruce Dickinson, who both deliver vocals with more bite than Dickinson. If his vocals are a major hurdle for you, but you're still interested in hearing more Maiden, then their self-titled debut album Iron Maiden, Killers, The X Factor, and Virtual XI are where you'll want to take a gander.

Stuff I've been listening to recently:

X-TG - Desert Shore (Fucking love)
The Tear Garden - Brown Acid Caveat (Also fucking love)
Ween - Pure Guava (the fuck)
Genesis P-Orridge & Astrid Monroe - When I Was Young (Really dig this. Reminds me of the Silent Hill 4 OST a lot)
Crystal Castles - Amnesty (Meh, earlier stuff a lot more interesting)
Heilung - Ofnir (Really cool stuff, dig the live versions more though).

So, let’s listen to music.

That was so awesome and also so lame. They have so much potential. Kind of a lame song. The vocals leave something to be desired.

Call me easily enthused but I came back to this thread to listen to the this song. I think I just meant to say there’s so much production I expected opera, but it’s so poppy. You know, pop-y. Poppie. Fuck, pop esque. It’s just an alright song. A pop song with production.

Last edited:

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
I got back to Fat Jon and Nujabes lately. Their music always give me 2 moods: lay on the ground all day and look at the sky / work on something for a long time with extreme detail and dedication.

Mind in a Box - Lost Alone
Ministry - Rio Grande Blood
Nine Inch Nails - Ghost V - Together
Fight Club OST
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Author & Punisher - The Painted Army
David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time
The Books - Lost and Safe

Top Bottom