What are you listening to? (general music thread)

Oburi

All praise Grail
I’ve been on an early prog rock kick lately. I always flip flop on my favorite band from that era. Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson etc. But right now, I’m stuck on Emerson, Lake & Palmer. They are the kings.

Matteo Metallo

Veritas Non Verba Magistri
Digweed - Last Night at Output
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (Complete Sessions)
Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine
Aphex Twin - I care because you do
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Also just downloaded a slew of Pirate Radio broadcasts from the early 90s in London that I am working through.

All proper selections!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Digweed - Last Night at Output
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (Complete Sessions)
Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine
Aphex Twin - I care because you do
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Also just downloaded a slew of Pirate Radio broadcasts from the early 90s in London that I am working through.

All proper selections!
I really got into jazz fusion from the 70's. Started with Miles Davis and currently obsessed with the Canterbury scene. So many amazing groups that I'd never heard, many of which put out only one or two albums before disbanding. Kahn, National Health, Matching Mole, Egg, Gilgamesh the list goes on. The big ones were The Soft Machine, Gong and Caravan, who put out many albums for many years with many different iterations in the lineup. They toured with Hendrix and Pink Floyd and many more.

Oburi

All praise Grail
You say this and I don't see Return to Forever or Weather Report listed? :azan:
Well i was specifically talking about the Canterbury groups. But yes indeed both of those groups I’ve been listening too as well. Return to Forever blew my head open. Unbelievable talent. Also Mahavishnu Orchestra and Jean Luc Ponty ( especially with Alan Holdsworth, the guitarist so great Eddie Van Halen said he was the best guitarist of his time).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well i was specifically talking about the Canterbury groups. But yes indeed both of those groups I’ve been listening too as well. Return to Forever blew my head open. Unbelievable talent. Also Mahavishnu Orchestra and Jean Luc Ponty ( especially with Alan Holdsworth, the guitarist so great Eddie Van Halen said he was the best guitarist of his time).

True! I just had to interject on behalf of my favs. Anyway, I've actually listened to some Gong and Magma since our talk the other day... Some pretty good stuff in there! And yeah Mahavishnu Orchestra and Ponty are great too. It's funny, it's been years and years since I listened to any of this, but I used to love it some 15 years ago. Makes me want to revisit it! By the way, you should check out Uzeb if you haven't already.

Matteo Metallo

Chick Corea, oh my!!! Been a minute, but "Return to Forever" what an album. My favorite Miles fusion album is "Get up with it", so good!

Just checked an album that has some elements of Goblin style prog, but with more doom and sludge intertwined. Band is Pinkish Black, album called Bottom of the Morning. I dig, but it didn't blow me away.

Revisited 2 classics... Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times. One of the best in the Black Metal genre and Amen Dunes - Freedom. Probably an album that has been on repeat more times in the past 2 years than any. Just great song writing and genuine feeling in regards to an everyman bloke like myself. Can't recommend it enough.

Mahivisnu Orchestra has not been on my play list for awhile, that will change tomorrow... Also, y'all need to check out an amazing comp called Prog Is Not A Four-Letter Word. Whole album is full of gems.

Last edited:

Matteo Metallo

The Soft Machine
Sorry for the double post, but Robert Wyatt and company are on my all time favorite level of 60s era masters that didn't get the credit they ever deserved. Soft Machine's tune "Why Are We Sleeping?" should have saved the world.

If you want a sweet 60s treat, then indulge in Silver Apples self titled masterpiece. Why weren't these guys mainstream!?

Matteo Metallo

I have always loved a good harsh ambient take on music. A few years back I took a deep dive into Black Metal. There was a scene popping out of California with acts like Leviathan, Xasthur and Nachtmystium (sic) that caught my attention, which ultimately led me to the origins with Darkrhrone, Burzum, Mayhem etc. Anyway, as much as I dig a lot of the older stuff I still prefer the dank atmospheric caucophony that the modern acts are producing.

Hey. I've seen there are some playlists on Spotify with suitable, fantasy-themed music to listen to while reading Berserk, others with covers of the different OST, some others with songs specifically related to some characters, but I have seen phew (or I haven't been looking for long enough) playlists depicting how the fans feel and/or interpret musically the very emotionally different moments of the story, if that makes sense. Anyway, I'm here because I've done that in this playlist (obviously, based on my musical taste and personal appreciation of the events), so if you're curious and want to listen I hope you find it suitable/of your liking :). Also, maybe this encourages some of you to do the same! I'd like to hear what the different parts of the story sound like to you.

If we're talking Berserk-related I'd have to throw in Fief, in my opinion creating the best medieval-sounding dungeon synth out there.

The emotionally unstable teenager still kicking about inside me after all these years mused me to listen to the new Porter Robinson album, and I'm genuinely impressed! It's pretty syrupy as per usual for Porter, but it injected me with a shot of nostalgic glee--can't believe it's been seven years since Worlds! It's feel-good music that we all need nowadays.

I'd like to hear some of everyone's favorite video game soundtracks, if you have any. Symphony of the Night is up there at the top for me, but in terms of what I grew up on the Metroid Prime games take the cake. Katamari Damacy deserves a shout out as well.

(Sorry if you guys have already had this discussion before, I'm new here).

Last edited:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Along with everything else the Suikoden games got right, I also think the music, particularly Suikoden II, is some of the best rpg music ever..

Along with everything else the Suikoden games got right, I also think the music, particularly Suikoden II, is some of the best rpg music ever..
I've never tried the Suikoden games but great music is a big draw for me! JRPG's haven't always been my thing but the premise of Suikoden II looks fascinating so I'll have to give it a shot when I have the time!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't really love Celeste the game, but this piano/jazz remake of the soundtrack is amazing the whole way through. Track 5 is the standout for me, though.

I've also found myself returning to one of my favorite albums—Nigel Kennedy's East Meets East—which breathes new life into some traditional eastern and arabic classics. It's a crazy fusion of classical, new age, and what us Americans call "international" music. The whole album has its gems, but I bought it immediately after hearing this particular song played at a bookstore 15 years ago:

I didn't really love Celeste the game, but this piano/jazz remake of the soundtrack is amazing the whole way through. Track 5 is the standout for me, though.

I've also found myself returning to one of my favorite albums—Nigel Kennedy's East Meets East—which breathes new life into some traditional eastern and arabic classics. It's a crazy fusion of classical, new age, and what us Americans call "international" music. The whole album has its gems, but I bought it immediately after hearing this particular song played at a bookstore 15 years ago:

Haven't played Celeste either, but I'll have to check out that soundtrack as well! Must be great if it warranted an entire re-arrangement!

As for Kennedy that's lovely, dynamic, transportive stuff, certainly an evocative international/bazaar vibe but definitely not in a kitschy/pastiche sort of way. Loved the jazz fusion flourishes, my dad is the biggest Frank Zappa fan alive so I grew up hearing a fair share of fusion/progressive rock in addition to his catalogue.

I'm largely more invested in rock/pop and electronic music than jazz, but when it comes to the genre I always find myself coming back to In a Silent Way (I know, not much of a deep cut) and Journey In Satchidananda.

As for some jazz-adjacent music I'm a big fan of Amon Tobin, who you could label as "nu jazz"--he incorporates a boatload of jazz samples in his work. He also composed the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory soundtrack, another game that I've never played but the music is top-notch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom