Episode 372

Can't we just be happy with 364? I wouldnt mind if thats all we got, a happy ending episode, when shit didnt go down yet, and things were still in good vibes. I would rather take nothing over a continuation. Best case scenario? Written like a script for a film. A summary of the key events that would happen had Miura finished it himself!
(sorry for the rant I gotta take it off my chest)

When Miura sensei died I was still catching up with the manga (I really took the time with each and every episode because of the notorious release schedule - once you're caught up that's it), And I remember asking a friend of mine who's a long time Berserk fan if at least we've got answers to the big questions and he replied "We didn't get a lot of answers, but we did get closure". since that day I still have mixed feelings about this "ending" we've got.

364 was nothing less than a gift from god and I don't have the words to describe how happy I am that Miura was still around to show us those precious moments. But still I desire a proper ending, this story deserves the best and most close to the source ending it can get, and if not by Miura himself at least by the studio he trained and the long time friend he even consulted with. This is nothing less than historic opportunity for doing this, If one day in the future some copany would like to "mangafy" the drafts and notes by Mori it'll be surely less "berserk" than what we are currently getting - flawed as it is (and it hell of is).

I'm pretty confident that once the manga will be over Mori and the studio will release their notes and drafts so we will get that pure information we so desire, but the continuation in an of itself hold value too.

(sorry for the rant I gotta take it off my chest)

When Miura sensei died I was still catching up with the manga (I really took the time with each and every episode because of the notorious release schedule - once you're caught up that's it), And I remember asking a friend of mine who's a long time Berserk fan if at least we've got answers to the big questions and he replied "We didn't get a lot of answers, but we did get closure". since that day I still have mixed feelings about this "ending" we've got.

364 was nothing less than a gift from god and I don't have the words to describe how happy I am that Miura was still around to show us those precious moments. But still I desire a proper ending, this story deserves the best and most close to the source ending it can get, and if not by Miura himself at least by the studio he trained and the long time friend he even consulted with. This is nothing less than historic opportunity for doing this, If one day in the future some copany would like to "mangafy" the drafts and notes by Mori it'll be surely less "berserk" than what we are currently getting - flawed as it is (and it hell of is).

I'm pretty confident that once the manga will be over Mori and the studio will release their notes and drafts so we will get that pure information we so desire, but the continuation in an of itself hold value too.
Yeah I feel the impact greatly as well, I've been a very long time fan, around 9 to 10 years now. Waiting on episodes was unpleasant and it did hurt me as a fan but it all worked out in the end there with 364, felt like it was all worth it for those happy moments. I am grateful to Kentaro Miura, he is an inspiration to the world, he created a unique manga
res.jpg
I will never cease being a fan, I will simply ignore the new episodes if they happen to ruin anything, its not Miura so they can't hurt my view on Miura. They can only leave a bad aftertaste in my mouth thats all

There's a real conflict between my desire for closure with the story and my fear Berserk will be further dragged through the mud. Mori's arrogance and all the heightened monetization of the series lately has me fearing this is all just a money making scheme on Mori and the publisher's part to profit off Miura's legacy. In any case I wasn't champing at the bit for 372 to come around.

I'm excited about 372. We shouldn't expect the same level of quality that we had with Miura. They aren't him and will make/have already made mistakes, both small and large. Still, they do have one thing that Miura didn't have and that's freedom. There's a good possibility they will explore parts of Berserk world and lore that Miura maybe didn't plan to, like Kushan lands for example. It's like expanding on the lore of Blue wizards in Lord of the rings for example, as long as it's moderately good, people will accept it because ultimately, we want to see how our beloved fiction will end.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Still, they do have one thing that Miura didn't have and that's freedom.

That's nonsense. Miura could do whatever he wanted. Meanwhile they're only halfassedly following what they think he might have done. You've really got it backwards here.

There's a good possibility they will explore parts of Berserk world and lore that Miura maybe didn't plan to

That's literally the opposite of what Mori and the Young Animal editorial department said they would do when the project started.

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
That being said, @Dark Emperor, when someone's saying "I'll just read it and not buy it", it's hard for me not to wonder if they're not just sticking to what they were always doing in the first place. Out of principle, our forum rules do remain that people ought to purchase the books if they want to discuss what's going on. I'm asking everyone to keep that in mind and to not promote this sort of behavior.
I get your sentiment, but most of it isn’t really applicable to me.

I have all the standard tankōbon chapters, the official guidebook, the Dreamcast game for which I bought a Dreamcast just to play the game, the most recent art book (which I did get through a third party admittedly, but I plan on just buying another one through a more legitimate method and just give it to my cousin or something), and the magazine with episode 364 in it. Shit, I even bought the Flame Dragon Knight just because of Miura’s involvement in it. My money is now going to be spent getting the deluxe editions since deluxe volume 14’s release was handled in a way that respected Miura’s legacy.

I still won’t be putting any money into the Berserk continuation because I don’t support it. It’s quite that simple, plus I’m willing to bet you that there’s a bunch of people here who don’t own a single volume but still participate in chapter/episode discussions.

However, per the rules, I will keep out of further chapter discussions if those are the qualifications for it.

I'm excited about 372. We shouldn't expect the same level of quality that we had with Miura. They aren't him and will make/have already made mistakes, both small and large. Still, they do have one thing that Miura didn't have and that's freedom. There's a good possibility they will explore parts of Berserk world and lore that Miura maybe didn't plan to, like Kushan lands for example. It's like expanding on the lore of Blue wizards in Lord of the rings for example, as long as it's moderately good, people will accept it because ultimately, we want to see how our beloved fiction will end.
That is so wildly optimistic that I'm really happy you live your life in this manner but unfortunately real world hits u like a truck and u will realize how wrong you were to put that much optimism in Studio Gaga:guts::azan:

"I knew it, but I was convinced. Mr. Miura was no different than a co-author"
The hell...? I've read the rest of the tweets and he's saying that Miura sensei and Mori work and think togheter to the point where "rather than being best friends, it seems that they are twin brothers" in his words. But still to call Berserk anything but Miura's masterpiece is doing Miura injustice.

Also on the same subject, for all of yall who wish for the continuation to end or get canceled (not judging, just trying to understand this point of view), what than? Do you expect Mori to release a one shot with the drafts and ideas? a LN? series of tweets?
I'm not sure any of them are preferable to me to be frank, but I might've missed another good way for going about it.
Clearly, an attempt is made to remove Miura's influence on Berserk, which was essentially his vision and nobody else's.

It's happened with Star Wars already, to give an example, with a bunch of bullshit statements, like "Star Wars was saved in the editing". And "obviously" that editing could not have been done by GL, because he ruined Star Wars with the Prequels and that means retroactively his role in the success of Star Wars must have been minimal. So the editing or whatever was done by his wife or friend or some other crap. Basically saying GL didn't create SWs, he only "co-authored it, badly". Yeah, George Lucas was so bad he only created Star Wars.

You can expect the Berserk fanbase to eat it up, just as SW fans believed RLM and their nonsense claims in those stupid Prequel reviews.

I think in general there might be a movement to divorce or distance authors from their own works, as if their tillage is shared by everyone.

Last edited:
I think in general there might be a movement to divorce or distance authors from their own works, as if their tillage is shared by everyone.
To what end?

As a statement it sounds pretty crazy to me.

Young Animal obviously has something to gain from it, but a movement?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, let's not veer into conspiracy theories. To the best of my knowledge, the idea that the original Star Wars movie might have been "saved in editing" comes from the existing raw footage that was filmed and looks very rough. It's not uncommon in moving-making that a picture ends up being wildly different from how it was first imagined. I don't think it's meant to depossess George Lucas of his authorship, but rather to point out that he was not an exceptional director even back then.

But that's really unrelated to the topic at hand, which is already a digression from what this thread is supposed to be about (episode 372). As far as the continuation of Berserk goes, it seems simple to me: in their attempts to appear legitimate, the parties involved have acted in ways that make them seem callous and ungrateful towards Miura. If it becomes a pattern, we'll know what to make of them.

Beelzebud

[...] Into the abyss will I run [...]
As far as I'm concerned, there is an enormous and irreconcilable divide between the real Berserk, by Kentarou Miura, and this continuation. The real Berserk sadly ended with Miura's passing. I hope the continuation project concludes as quickly as possible, because in my opinion it sullies his legacy more than anything else. And I hope someday, when it's all done, Mori will tell us what he actually knew from Miura.
You've just summarizes what I really feel about it all. I can't put it in better words.

By the way, not excited, but any new episode is very welcome. Waiting to see what's next(and hoping for better as well).

Coming here later just on the day of the episode, because now there's nothing worth my read in the Thread.

Aaz, thanks for the news, keep going with your great work as always :guts:

I am still sort of excited for new episodes despite the obvious issues. Some of Miuras work is still in the continuation, however small that might be. They have had a long break now and I really hope that is due to them giving more time, understanding and respect to Berserk.

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
I really hope that is due to them giving more time, understanding and respect to Berserk.
They probably just had a hard time trying to get the new episode out, If they were really trying to understand berserk they'd take a whole lot more time than this so that's definitely a no, and them respecting it already seems out of the question.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
They have had a long break now and I really hope that is due to them giving more time, understanding and respect to Berserk.
Hope manifests eternally. I don't know why this particular time off would be more respectful than the 9 months (~Sept '21–June '22) they spent on the previous batch of episodes.

I believe they are trying and are not disrespecting Miuras work intentionally. With time and practice the art should should steadily improve. As for the characters and pacing I have way less hope but maybe that slowly improves as well. I thought they were Miuras friends and unless they are scumbags they should only want the best for Berserk but clearly they are way in over their heads. Here is for hoping 372 has some of the change we all want from them.
They probably just had a hard time trying to get the new episode out, If they were really trying to understand berserk they'd take a whole lot more time than this so that's definitely a no, and them respecting it already seems out of the question.
Yeah Ive been saying that as well. They should have planned it out way better but that ship has sailed, they are not gonna stop now.

Last edited:
I'm astonished, I've never felt much of positive towards this continuation after reading the first chapters and seeing how they left me completely hollow and wishing for a world where Miura was still with us, but I wished good luck to the members of the team that was working on such a difficult task, though as many of you said I think a book with illustrations drafts and notes from Miura plus his ideas for the ending would have worked better and with less problems along with it.
But I can't believe what I'm reading from that tweet, I don't know Japanese, but from what I understand reading this forum some of you do so I guess the Google translation isn't too far off, it's incredibly disrespectful and I don't understand how all the comments there are completely positive.
Sorry for the rant.

I'm astonished, I've never felt much of positive towards this continuation after reading the first chapters and seeing how they left me completely hollow and wishing for a world where Miura was still with us, but I wished good luck to the members of the team that was working on such a difficult task, though as many of you said I think a book with illustrations drafts and notes from Miura plus his ideas for the ending would have worked better and with less problems along with it.
But I can't believe what I'm reading from that tweet, I don't know Japanese, but from what I understand reading this forum some of you do so I guess the Google translation isn't too far off, it's incredibly disrespectful and I don't understand how all the comments there are completely positive.
Sorry for the rant.
I'm still hoping they did not mean it literally and were just making jokes :shrug:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hope manifests eternally. I don't know why this particular time off would be more respectful than the 9 months (~Sept '21–June '22) they spent on the previous batch of episodes.

They did some yoga, a little meditation, a couple séances, actually read Berserk this time for continuity before starting, and now they're coming back with some real BME: BIG MIURA ENERGY!

JK it's gonna suck just the same simply because Miura was the transcendent genius and they're not. With more time and perspective to think about it, it's really a lot closer to just some random guys arbitrarily continuing Berserk ("well, they were there!") than a Miura insider dream team as we'd hoped and they sold us on. Imagine it like if when Michael Jordan had retired they had his best friend and former assistants wear his jersey and replace his minutes on the Bulls. This is literally what is happening! :ganishka:... :judo:

as many of you said I think a book with illustrations drafts and notes from Miura plus his ideas for the ending would have worked better and with less problems along with it.

Yeah, this sentiment was spot on, and it'd be out already and maybe they could have stuck it in the back of the last Berserk Deluxe Edition volume rather than the guidebook. Actual closure/catharsis for the series, at least as much as possible.

Oh well, hopefully the continuation will at least still serve this function in the end and that will be its legacy rather than tainting the reputation of the manga in the public eye.

I'm honestly surprised to read so many absolutely negative opinions, with each release of the new chapters there were many who weren't sorry and all in all they appreciated the effort of Mori and the studio.
I also well remember the numerous criticisms of several important chapters both regarding the deterioration of the drawings and the progress of the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it’s pretty simple, @luke71 . I’ve got high standards for Berserk, and the continuation doesn’t meet them. The last year has not been a fun ride for most of us. As a longtime Berserk fan, that doesn’t feel good, and I admire the spirit of the team behind the continuation, but having their hearts in the right place isn’t enough.

I think that if anyone looks at these recent episodes objectively, beyond the “rah rah, they’re really doing it!” mentality, it’s not hard to see the stress fractures in what they’ve been trying to build on top of the remnants that Miura left behind. And years from now, after the honeymoon period given to the new team fades, more will realize that they made the wrong decision in how to conclude Berserk, even if it was a bold (reckless) effort.

Top Bottom