2017 Berserk TV Series (Season 2)

Gamehowitzer said:
While we're talking about why the recent adaptation was total ass, i came across a youtube video that makes some good points about why it didnt work, and what would have worked better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6CJaChQ7rQ He makes the argument that the manga is a picturesque work, and they tried to adapt it as a dynamic work. Picturesque meaning its about the visual detail and not the motion in it. He argues that the 1997 anime and its style, colors, etc. were much more fitting. He also argued that the world of berserk is very gritty, grimy, and dirty, and cgi and 3d computer models are always very glossy and cant portray that grit.

The arguments are alright, but the guy seems to pussy out at the end, almost as though he's trying to seem objective in the eyes of the anime lovers. He spends the entire video criticizing the movies and 2016 series, only to turn around and start mocking people who dislike the animes for not doing the manga justice. Pot calling kettle black, dude. People have every reason to find all the series unsatisfactory, including the one from '97, and there is no reason to be thankful that Berserk has been animated so many times when nobody can get it right.

Kaladin said:
The video is garbage, the only good thing about it is the video editing.
Editing is actually pretty meh, which goes with my feeling towards the whole things just looks like its copying effective uses of this type of video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuPgdqQKpq4T4zeqmTelnFg
Like this guy, kaptain kristian, knows effective editing in this way.

Nothingwillbewong said:
Editing is actually pretty meh, which goes with my feeling towards the whole things just looks like its copying effective uses of this type of video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuPgdqQKpq4T4zeqmTelnFg
Like this guy, kaptain kristian, knows effective editing in this way.

I see,thanks for sharing, you seem to know a thing or two about this stuff so I'll take your word for it.
The way he put the panels together was pretty neat to me but I have zero knowledge in this field so I'm not hard to impress :ganishka:

I liked the video more than I thought I would, since it's one of those things where I find the observations about visual storytelling to be illuminating even if I disagree with the thesis or conclusion. Not bad if you get past the click-bait title. Manga is by definition picturesque. You can make either a picturesque or a kinetic anime, and in either case you can do it well or poorly. I disagree with the video about the movie's kinetic style necessarily being a bad thing. It's different from 1997 or the manga, but in the 2D parts it actually works pretty well. For example, I liked the way the assassination of Adonis was shot, and thought it was just as valid as the way that 1997 did it. The movies went too far with the kinetic stuff mainly in the 3D CG mass battle scenes, where they got carried away swooping around with the camera or depicting each individual duel between the extras rather than making everything more tight and focused. In fact I don't really mind the 3D fights themselves, as I can kind of ignore the character models and appreciate the choreography. Perhaps the problem is more that they dwelled too much on the nuts and bolts of combat, and not enough on the expressions and emotions?

2016 is basically the worst possible way to make a kinetic anime, and the bizarre thing is that, after initially making up its own bad storyboards, it continued to do so after it had started using the exact panel sequence of the manga as the basis for its storyboards. The PS2 game and Berserk Musou actually had some good kinetic filming in them too, and we could see how awful the new anime was just by comparing it with those same scenes from the videogames. The 1997 anime wasn't the only way to properly adapt *Berserk*; it just has the reputation of being the best adaptation so far because the quality was pretty solid all-around, and it remained faithful to the story except for leaving out Puck/Silat/Skull Knight and ending too abruptly. Of course that prevented it from being a perfect adaptation, but I don't hold it so much against it because the manga was still at a pretty early stage, and they probably just trying to promote the manga rather than pave the way for a long-form adaptation.

well like i said, i thought he had some good points. not that the video itself was particularly outstanding or anything. But i don't know anything about all that artistic stuff, and im not very sharp when it comes to making criticisms or arguments. so lets just say im stupid lol :ganishka:
jokes or not jokes aside, thanks for your input. I like seeing your varying opinions and i think it helps me become a smarter fan. regardless of how i feel like :???: sometimes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Azure Park said:
The 1997 anime wasn't the only way to properly adapt *Berserk*; it just has the reputation of being the best adaptation so far because the quality was pretty solid all-around, and it remained faithful to the story except for leaving out Skull Knight and ending too abruptly.

Actually there's quite a bit more content the 1997 adaptation left out. And to be honest there's no lack of things to complain about, including its low budget (even for the time). The reason it's the best is because the others are absolutely terrible.

1997 was a good adoption but so far we havent got a "perferct" one

Wyald was removed from the 1997. Wyald only appeared in a the musou game lol

Demon Knight said:
1997 was a good adoption but so far we havent got a "perferct" one

Wyald was removed from the 1997. Wyald only appeared in a the musou game lol

I also missed Wyald, as the encounter with him and Zodd is WAAY to important to ignore! Same goes with the "rather" recent trilogy of movies. Why miss out on great story and context?

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
YourFavoriteSpartan said:
I also missed Wyald, as the encounter with him and Zodd is WAAY to important to ignore! Same goes with the "rather" recent trilogy of movies. Why miss out on great story and context?

Because this way it wouldn't be limited within 24 (?) episodes, or they'd fit it in at the expense of being detrimental to other parts of the story. Showing the escape from kushan assassins and then the Wyald pursue and battle would take at least a whole episode.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Menosgade said:
Because this way it wouldn't be limited within 24 (?) episodes, or they'd fit it in at the expense of being detrimental to other parts of the story. Showing the escape from kushan assassins and then the Wyald pursue and battle would take at least a whole episode.

That doesn't really hold up considering that team added about 20 minutes worth of Adon filler.

I finally sat down and watched season 2. I'd been putting it off forever because i was so disappointed with season one. I'll be honest I went in with probably the lowest expectations I've ever had for anything berserk and.. I actually found myself enjoying it.

Objectively the series was still pretty bad, lots of story cut, sound effects, awkward 3d- but that's all already been covered here. On the other hand I was unreasonably excited to see more parts of the story adapted into a video format. It was like a guilty pleasure that I would never share with any of my friends. I just wish we could finally get an adaption of berserk that I could be proud of and actually be excited to show my non-berserk friends.

My first experience with Berserk was actually the first golden age movie, and at the time I thought it was just some B studio churning out whatever adaption was handed to them. Despite the quality of the movie some of the characters really hooked my interest and I decided to dig into the source material (which may have been the best decision I ever made). Maybe this means I have a soft spot for bad adaptions but without them I never would have started struggling down the path of Berserk.

tl;dr: wish we could finally get an adaption of berserk that I'd be excited to show my non-berserk friends

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
ANA interview with Netflix Castlevania producer said:
I used the classic Berserk as an example of what to do and the CGI reboot as an example of what not to do.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2017-07-26/castlevania-producer-adi-shankar/.119340

:ganishka:

Informative interview about the Castlevania series on Netflix. Just goes to show what someone with good influences and a love for the series can do with an adaptation if given the chance.

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
I never even gave "season 2" a chance. I was so disappointed to hear this series was essentially a continuation of the very mediocre Golden Age films by 4C.

But if I do ever watch it, ironically it'll be dubbed, even though that's like a cardinal sin when you like anime (or has been for me for awhile). If only because I don't much care for the new casting of the characters in Japanese, Guts in particular.

Kanna from the original series embodied Guts, this new guy, while he mostly *sounds* alright, he can't scream for jack. He can't do the rage needed to bring Guts to life and it sucks to listen to. A lot.

Overall though, I'm very disappointed in the lack of quality of what Berserk adaptations have been getting. And I don't even think it's the CG.

Games on the Nintendo 3DS like Fire Emblem have amazing and stunning 3D animation, so I'm not against it for that. I'm against it because it's horrendously low quality animation that is a direct insult to the artwork of the original. From an indifferent studio and unqualified director.

Crimson said:
I never even gave "season 2" a chance. I was so disappointed to hear this series was essentially a continuation of the very mediocre Golden Age films by 4C.

But if I do ever watch it, ironically it'll be dubbed, even though that's like a cardinal sin when you like anime (or has been for me for awhile). If only because I don't much care for the new casting of the characters in Japanese, Guts in particular.

Kanna from the original series embodied Guts, this new guy, while he mostly *sounds* alright, he can't scream for jack. He can't do the rage needed to bring Guts to life and it sucks to listen to. A lot.

Overall though, I'm very disappointed in the lack of quality of what Berserk adaptations have been getting. And I don't even think it's the CG.

Games on the Nintendo 3DS like Fire Emblem have amazing and stunning 3D animation, so I'm not against it for that. I'm against it because it's horrendously low quality animation that is a direct insult to the artwork of the original. From an indifferent studio and unqualified director.

I have the inverse problem--as a fan of the English dub of the 97 series and film trilogy, I can't get behind 2016/17's dub :ganishka: Marc Diraison did a great job of making Guts simultaneously badass and vulnerable--Kaiji Tang is very one-note, stereotypical tough guy anime voice. Not to mention a lot of the translations and deliveries are so stiff, it almost feels like it was dubbed before the 97 series.

That said, if you do give season 2 a chance, it's.....minutely better than season 1? The pacing's a bit better, the CG models are improved, and they don't cut quuuuuuuite as much as season 1 did. It's still a lukewarm adaptation at best, and the final episode just ends it with no pomp and circumstance. But oh well, give it another 19-20 years. Madhouse can't keep turning down Berserk forever!

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
NCHaskew said:
I have the inverse problem--as a fan of the English dub of the 97 series and film trilogy, I can't get behind 2016/17's dub :ganishka: Marc Diraison did a great job of making Guts simultaneously badass and vulnerable--Kaiji Tang is very one-note, stereotypical tough guy anime voice. Not to mention a lot of the translations and deliveries are so stiff, it almost feels like it was dubbed before the 97 series.

That said, if you do give season 2 a chance, it's.....minutely better than season 1? The pacing's a bit better, the CG models are improved, and they don't cut quuuuuuuite as much as season 1 did. It's still a lukewarm adaptation at best, and the final episode just ends it with no pomp and circumstance. But oh well, give it another 19-20 years. Madhouse can't keep turning down Berserk forever!

Thanks for the warning. I was under the impression the original dub cast reprised their roles for everything, but I guess it was only the movies.

I guess the actual series is simply just beyond hope.

Haha, yes, here's to another 2 decades when we might be able to get Berserk properly adapted. So long as they don't keep trying and failing. :ubik:

I would like to see Susumu Hirasawa opening. And I would prefer an opening with SIGN.

At least Susumu Hirasawa opening song will make this anime a bit better.

I didnt like the 2016 opening song. It just doesnt fit the dark world of BERSERK
I realize that this is a little late to ask but do you perchance know if the official lyrics of the 2016 opening has a thread of its own?

I appreciated the 2016 serie very much. I'm back to berserk, I stopped 7 years ago.

I think the musics are very good, the style is great, animation is not perfect but so happy to see Blackswordman in a anime movie again

regarding the accurate, I m not sure and not hardcore fan enough

just a random question but does anyone know who did the Japanese voice acting for bonebeard at the end of season 2. I checked a few credits pages but never saw it maybe the actor was buried under additional voices or something but it sounds a bit like Hidenari ugaki( the actor behing the Yakuza video game series character Goro Majima) but I dunno honestly just curious

Top Bottom