[2022] Berserk: The Golden Age MEMORIAL EDITION

The Berserk: The Golden Age movie trilogy will be shown on TV for the first time in Japan.
No specific date is given except this year 2022.
No further details are provided.

Official website: https://berserk-me.com/
Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/berserk_mePR
FVv0q7JaAAA6qi4

I'm fine with them trying to make more off of Berserk but I wish they would do this a bit later cause it just looks from a glance like a way to benefit from berserk returning which I think wasn't their reason. Oddly the movies were gone were removed from digital services 2-3 months ago.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm fine with them trying to make more off of Berserk but I wish they would do this a bit later cause it just looks from a glance like a way to benefit from berserk returning which I think wasn't their reason. Oddly the movies were gone were removed from digital services 2-3 months ago.
On the contrary, the timing of this (mostly worthless) news item was likely planned to coincide with Berserk’s return. Makes the biggest media splash.

And the movies are still available on Netflix here in the US. Just checked.

Is it called the anime asylum à la Arkham asylum? :iva:
Anyways, I never saw the third movie, is it true that it's the worst one?

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
iirc the third film included parts of Volume 14, so I recommend it for that. That is one of my favorite volumes and that is the only anime adaptation I'm aware of portraying the aftermath of the eclipse.

Last edited:
I'd say it's safe to say there will be no new content?

I imagine theyre just gonna fit the movies for television.

I would say that it is unclear to this moment. Too little details have been revealed, at face value it should be just a random tv broadcast of the trilogy.

There's still no updates, but I noticed a few things that may hint at something more.
1) In the staff list there is a credit for "Memorial Edition Director" to Yuta Sano, who originally worked on CG and storyboards in the trilogy and in the past decade grew a solid career in Studio 4°C as animator and director. The involvement of a new director specifically for this release should indicate at least a minimal amount of change, but it's impossible to say to what extent as of now.
2) At the very bottom of the Memorial Edition website appears an Aniplex link. Aniplex is one of the biggest anime producers nowadays, behind massive franchises and adaptations, but for what I can see, Berserk has never been producer or adapted in collaboration with them according to what I can see on the ANN info pages for each work, so the appearence of their link in the page could indicate that behind the scenes something is moving, maybe the rights have been sold to Aniplex and there could be plans for a new adaptation. It could very well be nothing, maybe something just for the tv broadcast.

It's too early to jump to conclusions, time will tell what's going.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that it is unclear to this moment. Too little details have been revealed, at face value it should be just a random tv broadcast of the trilogy.

There's still no updates, but I noticed a few things that may hint at something more.
1) In the staff list there is a credit for "Memorial Edition Director" to Yuta Sano, who originally worked on CG and storyboards in the trilogy and in the past decade grew a solid career in Studio 4°C as animator and director. The involvement of a new director specifically for this release should indicate at least a minimal amount of change, but it's impossible to say to what extent as of now.

They have announced exactly what it is they're doing: adapting the movie trilogy for TV. They will be recutting it in the process, but I don't think you should expect any notable new material. If anything they might rather edit things out. Anyway, if they are to add new material, you can be sure they will announce it well ahead of time.

there could be plans for a new adaptation.

That seems unlikely. First because a new adaptation would be announced separately, and second because it would be challenging to broadcast Guts' adventures as the Black Swordsman on terrestrial television in Japan. Besides, given that there already was another adaptation in 2016, it doesn't make much sense to tie a hypothetical fourth project to the movies specifically.

They have announced exactly what it is they're doing: adapting the movie trilogy for TV. They will be recutting it in the process, but I don't think you should expect any notable new material.
I'm not sure what to expect, so I'll just wait and see what will be announced. At first I expected nothing more than a random broadcast, no different than what happens when you turn on the tv and there's a random movie playing. I simply pointed out that since there's staff members brought in specifically for this edition, so it's not what I initially thought. Time will tell what it will be.

That seems unlikely. First because a new adaptation would be announced separately, and second because it would be challenging to broadcast Guts' adventures as the Black Swordsman on terrestrial television in Japan.
It sure is challenging, but it's not impossible. Hellsing Ultimate happened, Chainsaw Man is happening, if there enough will for it, a way will open (but I can't say for the quality).

For now I would say that we should wait and see what exactly is the nature of Aniplex's involvement, if it's just a distribution thing (that would be odd, since they're an anime and music production company), or if they now hold the rights for a new adaptation. Honestly with now secretive Japanese people are, I can imagine deals like these happening silently and only being revealed much later. If it is indeed true that Berserk is now on their hands, it could open many possibilities, at least, animation studios and staff-wise. Again, time will tell.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It sure is challenging, but it's not impossible. Hellsing Ultimate happened, Chainsaw Man is happening, if there enough will for it, a way will open (but I can't say for the quality).

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about. Hellsing Ultimate is a series of OVAs and was not broadcast on terrestrial TV channels as far as I know. These have more stringent standards than cable channels. The original Berserk animation from 1997 was actually broadcast on NTV, but during night-time. However I don't think they could air an adaptation of the Lost Children chapter, for example.

For now I would say that we should wait and see what exactly is the nature of Aniplex's involvement, if it's just a distribution thing (that would be odd, since they're an anime and music production company), or if they now hold the rights for a new adaptation.

As far as I can tell, Aniplex is handling the production and distribution of the Memorial Edition. They are mentioned on the website because they created it and are in charge of the project. I don't see why that would be odd either, since they are among other things a distribution company. :shrug:

Honestly with now secretive Japanese people are, I can imagine deals like these happening silently and only being revealed much later. If it is indeed true that Berserk is now on their hands, it could open many possibilities, at least, animation studios and staff-wise. Again, time will tell.

Business deals are handled "silently" all over the world, that's par for the course. Unless legally required, they're only publicly announced when it's convenient to do so. But that's not a basis for what you're asserting here.

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about. Hellsing Ultimate is a series of OVAs and was not broadcast on terrestrial TV channels as far as I know. These have more stringent standards than cable channels.
I understand that, I simply think that if the time will come where a brand new adaptation is on the table, they won't necessarily have to stick to cable channels broadcast.

As far as I can tell, Aniplex is handling the production and distribution of the Memorial Edition. They are mentioned on the website because they created the website and are in charge of the project. I don't see why that would be odd either, since they are among other things a distribution company.
For me the oddity is that they are involved in the first place, since they were never part of the production of any previous adaptation. As in, Aniplex is such a big company (and always looking for profit from every propriety they touch) that I would be amazed if their involvement were only relegated to the production and distribution of the Memorial Edition of the trilogy and nothing more. Hence my speculation that something might have happened behind the scenes and that there might be more to it. If they simply wanted a one-off tv broadcast of the films, I imagine there could have been tons of other opportunities and distributors.
Of course I could be wrong, I don't understand much about these things, after all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that, I simply think that if the time will come where a brand new adaptation is on the table, they won't necessarily have to stick to cable channels broadcast.

If you say so.

For me the oddity is that they are involved in the first place, since they were never part of the production of any previous adaptation. As in, Aniplex is such a big company (and always looking for profit from every propriety they touch) that I would be amazed if their involvement were only relegated to the production and distribution of the Memorial Edition of the trilogy and nothing more.

The movies were distributed by Warner Bros for their theatrical release. It's not shocking to me that another company would be handling their adaptation for TV ten years later. That's the advantage of forming production committees like "Berserk Film Partners". Also, Aniplex isn't particularly big compared to its peers from what I understand. Anyway, I can tell that you really want to believe in this, so I won't insist. :slan:

Well, I can't say I believe anything right now :shrug:
I only want to understand better the situation with Aniplex and if it leads to something more or not and only time will give answers.

New key visual
fv9jT4K.jpg

The TV broadcast cut will premiere in October 2022.

New additions to the TV broadcast cut include:
*"Bonfire of dreams" scene under the supervision of chief animation director Naoyuki Onda
*Hundreds of existing cuts will be modified and remastered
*New music from Shiro Sagisu and Susumu Hirasawa
*New ending theme, "Wish" by Mika Nakashima

Wow. Was not expecting that. When I saw the new key visual I initially yelled out loud HOW DARE THEY?!!?!? As Bon Fire of Dreams was one of the most devastating cuts among many devastating cuts.

While I'm not a fan of the film, including such an important and moving scene can definitely only be seen as an improvement. I'm really excited to even just see how this scene is done in a vacuum. It really is lovely that this is what they've decided to animate, for multiple reasons including Miura's passing. I really hope it's done justice. Too bad they can't add more, but if there was a single scene that could be added to the entirety of the trilogy, this is definitely it.

"Hundreds of modified and remastered" are usually almost unnoticeable things like filter adjustments, but sometimes redrawn scenes and art can actually look quite a bit better. While I'm not expecting much on this front, I'm curious to see how substantive they are.

New Shiro Sagisu and Susumu Hirasawa is great. I wonder what tracks/ scenes they've decided to change. While it won't have much of an impact for me on the film overall, I'm still very much looking forward to hearing it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
While I'm not a fan of the film, including such an important and moving scene can definitely only be seen as an improvement. I'm really excited to even just see how this scene is done in a vacuum.

Yeah, it's got to be one of the most criminal omissions from these movies, so it's pretty cool that they're making this effort. @Imperivm97 should be happy!

"Hundreds of modified and remastered" are usually almost unnoticeable things like filter adjustments, but sometimes redrawn scenes and art can actually look quite a bit better. While I'm not expecting much on this front, I'm curious to see how substantive they are.

I distinctly remember the original movies being badly edited, with weird cuts and a puzzling use of music that ruined scenes. Like you say it's probably best not to expect too much, but maybe that will manage to enhance the result. From the beginning the problem with that adaptation was that it tried to cram too much material in too short a running time. If they can let things breathe a little more that could make a difference.

Still can't really say I look forward to it, though. Those movies were quite bad.

I agree, the Bonfire of Dreams omission really is a kick in the nuts to any real Berserk fan. The only moment it was adapted for the new adaptations afaik is in a small segment of an audio drama for Berserk 2016... And even there it was badly reduced and poorly executed.

I can't say I'm a fan of the trilogy, I would say I found them mildly enjoyable at best and quite bad most of the time but even at its peak, it never really felt like something I would consider as a valid Berserk adaptation.

My brightest expectations for this would be that they can consistently flesh out the story, maybe even adding stuff like Guts' childhood, Casca's flashback, more character interactions, maybe even fixing Skull Knight's introduction, and as for technical adjustments, better editing, fixing the CGI and the awful shaky cam they loved so much and stuff like that. These enhancements would certainly make them much more watchable. Yuki Kaji also confirmed recording new lines for Judeau so that's surely something more I look forward to, as he was one of the highlights for me.

As for the music, Susumu Hirasawa's involvement is for a new OP and insert song(s), I'm not sure if he could do even some more BGM, that'd be lovely. I'm not overly excited about Shiro Sagisu's music but if he can provide more emotional / dramatic orchestral music that would make me happy. His action music was quite terrible imo, especially with that Special Choir he loves so much. Surely I look forward to the Bonfire of Dreams, whether it'll have Hirasawa new music, "Guts" or a new Shiro Sagisu piece, I have high hopes for it! If they get a commercial release I'll be most pleased.

I can't say I'm happy yet, but these news bring a smile to my face.

Also, it has been announced that at the Berserk Exhibition they will also distribute posters from the new key visual and at an Aniplex event they'll distribute a collection of artworks from the trilogy (I suppose the ones in the credits of the third movie, directly adapted from the Miura illustrations for the manga). If I were in Japan I'd love to get these myself.
https://twitter.com/berserk_mePR/status/1556565884394565632

"Bonfire of dreams" scene under the supervision of chief animation director Naoyuki Onda
I do admit that I didn't expect it to be different in any way (besides the obvious editing of some scenes to fit in that new format), so any sort of change is cool to me.
I never really liked these movies to be honest, but after this piece of news, I'm at least looking forward to seeing if they're any better.
And thinking about it now, maybe they could do us a favor an along with the changes, also remove some scenes that were completely unnecessary/weird like the Farnese and Serpico cameo.
Hundreds of existing cuts will be modified and remastered
Now about that... I have no idea what these changes could be. They could be something as subtle as the typical anime fixes where anime studios go back and redraw certain wonky facial expressions, usually for the blu-ray release.
OR, it could be something as major as them drawing scenes that were CG before. (Though I'm leaning way more towards the former).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
My brightest expectations for this would be that they can consistently flesh out the story, maybe even adding stuff like Guts' childhood, Casca's flashback, more character interactions, maybe even fixing Skull Knight's introduction, and as for technical adjustments, better editing, fixing the CGI and the awful shaky cam they loved so much and stuff like that. These enhancements would certainly make them much more watchable.

Haha, you're too greedy man! I do think the recuts could go a long way, but I can't imagine they'll transform this caterpillar into a butterfly...

Yuki Kaji also confirmed recording new lines for Judeau so that's surely something more I look forward to, as he was one of the highlights for me.

Keep in mind that could mostly be related to the Bonfire of Dreams scene. Judo has some key lines leading to it (that were omitted from the movies).

As for the music, Susumu Hirasawa's involvement is for a new OP and insert song(s), I'm not sure if he could do even some more BGM, that'd be lovely. I'm not overly excited about Shiro Sagisu's music but if he can provide more emotional / dramatic orchestral music that would make me happy. His action music was quite terrible imo, especially with that Special Choir he loves so much.

You probably shouldn't expect even more than what's been announced, I mean it's already pretty cool that they got a new Hirasawa song! The opening song is still Aria though, from what they say. As for Sagisu, I will defend his work: I have the soundtracks for these movies and I think they're fine. I've always felt that the fault mostly lied with how the music was used (e.g. somber theme during an action scene, upbeat theme during a chilling scene, etc.).

Also, it has been announced that at the Berserk Exhibition they will also distribute posters from the new key visual and at an Aniplex event they'll distribute a collection of artworks from the trilogy (I suppose the ones in the credits of the third movie, directly adapted from the Miura illustrations for the manga). If I were in Japan I'd love to get these myself.

They'll distribute postcards at the exhibition, not posters, and they're handing out "clear files" (plastic transparent file folders) at Aniplex's booth at Comiket (a huge manga convention). The illustration for the clear files seems to be just the one in the tweet, which is indeed traced from Miura's own artwork (something that I still find insane to this day).

Now about that... I have no idea what these changes could be. They could be something as subtle as the typical anime fixes where anime studios go back and redraw certain wonky facial expressions, usually for the blu-ray release.
OR, it could be something as major as them drawing scenes that were CG before. (Though I'm leaning way more towards the former).

My guess is that it'll be real editing, meaning they're going to lengthen or shorten cuts to improve the pacing and maybe redo some of the voice acting and musical arrangement. Redrawing or touching up some of the worst visuals would be icing on the cake!

Top Bottom