[2022] Berserk: The Golden Age MEMORIAL EDITION

My guess is that it'll be real editing, meaning they're going to lengthen or shorten cuts to improve the pacing and maybe redo some of the voice acting and musical arrangement. Redrawing or touching up some of the worst visuals would be icing on the cake!
Hope they are able to get rid off around 60 to 70 percent of the CGI in more daytime (light) scenes in order to hide the more noticeable CGI and hide the rest by blending it in with 2D animation.

I think it's too early to tell, but considering the amount of changes I'd say there's a fair chance of it happening.
Also, I can see the greedy folks at Aniplex being drooling at the perspective of getting more money from Berserk fans.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hope they are able to get rid off around 60 to 70 percent of the CGI in more daytime (light) scenes in order to hide the more noticeable CGI and hide the rest by blending it in with 2D animation.

Uhhhh that seems unlikely. Adding two or three minutes of new footage and remastering scenes can be justified as a way to lure back existing fans, but if they're going to really redo 70% of the scenes, they might as well just make something entirely new.

Any chance they're going to release this version on blu-ray?

I'd be surprised if they didn't do so.

This is certainly welcomed. I hope they change things up as much as possible.

One of the things that always griped me the most was Skull Knights introduction. If they ended movie 2 with Guts meeting him in the forrest, or maybe even at the start of movie 3 it wouldn't have been nearly as jarring as Skull Knight seemingly being a creep and entering the scene as Guts and Casca just had sexual intercourse :ganishka:

Also the way they made Guts beat Boscogne...

Welp, will be interesting to see how much they actually bother to improve/change/add.

Oh yeah, the omission of Zodd helping Guts at Doldrey was also sooo bad. It's super puzzling since that was one of the most badass parts and the whole trilogy was caring above all else about gore, badass action and sex. They couldn't ask for a more badass moment in there!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
How about a Wyald "Excitement & Enjoyment" Edition!? Come on! =)

And yeah, whatever additions they make I don't think they'll be fixing it or anything, but a new song is cool and like Aaz I also didn't mind the original soundtracks for being more traditional scores, given you're not going to out-Hirasawa Hirasawa so you need to go in a different direction.

Actually, I wish they'd taken that approach to the whole project considering it basically never went anywhere beyond the purview of the original '97 anime. What a waste. They could have done a "Conviction" trilogy of Black Swordsman, Lost Children and Binding Chain/Birth Ceremony and it would have been far cooler just for being fresh. Then again, the 2016 anime was pretty conclusive proof we just shouldn't have any more Berserk adaptations.

My wishlist:

• An extended sequence of Guts going on the initial raid with the Hawks and getting to know Judeau, Rickert, and Pippen. Earn him accepting a new home.
  • Minister Foss and all his Schemes
  • The Queen and her schemes
  • An extended Casca backstory
  • Griffith clawing his arms over the boy
  • Bonfire of Dreams
  • Griffith and Gennon
  • Zodd at Doldrey
  • Guts Judeau and Corkus in a bar
  • Guts at Godots
  • Guts vs Silat at the fair
  • The king losing it
  • The Bakiraka
  • Wyald
  • Rickert and Rosine
  • Judeau and Casca in the Eclipse extended
  • Casca gives birth to the demon child
  • Guts becoming the black swordsman at Godots
  • Guts getting the dragons slayer and killing the first apostle
  • Guts doing the Lost Children arc

Last edited:
My wishlist:

• An extended sequence of Guts going on the initial raid with the Hawks and getting to know Judeau, Rickert, and Pippen. Earn him accepting a new home.
  • Minister Foss and all his Schemes
  • The Queen and her schemes
  • An extended Casca backstory
  • Griffith clawing his arms over the boy
  • Bonfire of Dreams
  • Griffith and Gennon
  • Zodd at Doldrey
  • Guts Judeau and Corkus in a bar
  • Guts at Godots
  • Guts vs Silat at the fair
  • The king losing it
  • The Bakiraka
  • Wyald
  • Rickert and Rosine
  • Judeau and Casca in the Eclipse extended
  • Casca gives birth to the demon child
  • Guts becoming the black swordsman at Godots
  • Guts getting the dragons layer and killing the first apostle
  • Guts doing the Lost Children arc
Well....You will be getting ONE of those....

New information:

- Release date: October, 2022
- The "Campfire of Dreams" sequence will be added by Naoyuki ONDA, chief animation director (he also provided the new visual)
- Director Yuta SANO comments that additional scenes* and edits have been made
- Ending song is "Wish" by Mika NAKASHIMA
- Susumu HIRASAWA and Shiro SAGISU will provide new music**

* Note: Japanese doesn't have the plural form, but I think we can assume it'll be more than one.
** Note: This is confusing because it says, "... will provide new music for the TV series (TVシリーズ内)." I'm assuming it's the movie but not sure why they decided to word it this way.

New information:

- Release date: October, 2022
- The "Campfire of Dreams" sequence will be added by Naoyuki ONDA, chief animation director (he also provided the new visual)
- Director Yuta SANO comments that additional scenes* and edits have been made
- Ending song is "Wish" by Mika NAKASHIMA
- Susumu HIRASAWA and Shiro SAGISU will provide new music**

* Note: Japanese doesn't have the plural form, but I think we can assume it'll be more than one.
** Note: This is confusing because it says, "... will provide new music for the TV series (TVシリーズ内)." I'm assuming it's the movie but not sure why they decided to word it this way.
That's mostly all the same information already posted at the top. I'm curious about the directors comments on "we aimed to add additional scenes and corrections". I'm really not going to read into this further than the initial "existing cuts will be modified and remastered". I feel they can be pretty liberal in their language of "scene" and what would be considered new if "modified" and "remastered". If they were truly adding additional, brand new scenes, they would definitely be hyping that up. The fact Bon Fire of Dreams is explicitly being used as the "new scene" advertisement pretty much confirms THATS the "new" material.

It says TV series because the films are being edited for a TV broadcast. That's what the Memorial Edition is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom