[2022] Berserk: The Golden Age MEMORIAL EDITION

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
As for it being padding, I'm sure you're right. The odd thing is that I also noticed several edits during the episode. Scenes from the movie that had been trimmed by a second or two. A missing opening shot, such as when the nobles are telling us about the Hawks. The Opening of the Zodd sequence when Guts is arguing with his men also cuts in later. Very odd and random choices.

Yeah, I noticed that too and I'm as puzzled as you are. They actually cut down more scenes than in the previous episode. Really weird.

It's pretty awful to hear about this, especially when this tv edit was supposed to "flesh out more" and "have a slower pacing" by adding more scenes of quiet character interactions. All I can think of is that at this point, they may even have decided to cram all of this into a tighter episode run to save even more money with the prospect of gaining even more. As expected from Aniplex.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
Not that I am a big fan of the Psycho-Pass IP but IG proved with it that an extended TV cut of older material can work and be unanimously regarded as the superior version so I don´t really get how this production came about. Most TV cuts (Gundam Unicorn/The Origins, GitS: Arise) are simple splice jobs with no footage gone missing and a new OP/ED. Ones with a real budget I might add but the same unfitting fest footage OP and a half-cooked photoshop with ill-fitting music had to suffice. Dragon Ball Kai had its issues, mostly with the cheaper made Buu Saga, but it too is the better version.
The Memorial Edition is a rather unique fuck up. I have never seen anything like it in this medium but I am all ears.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So I checked the third episode and they did what I expected: shorten a bunch of scenes throughout to save time, plus skip the opening and keep the story going during the credits. That way they crammed about 24m50s of content in there and finished the material from the first movie. They only ended up cutting about 3 minutes of content in total, going from about 69 to a bit less than 66 minutes.

No notable additions otherwise (just the usual facelift on background guards and the like), and of course the actual adaptation is still pretty damn bad. I'd forgotten just how badly they handled the assassination scene in particular. It all kind of feels like they based themselves on a summary of the story instead of looking at the source material. Oh well. See you next week for the Bonfire of Dreams scene!

By the way, I'm curious to see how they handled the second movie. It doesn't have enough material to make four episodes of roughly 20 minutes each. About 10 minutes of content are missing in the later half. It could probably be compressed down to three, but my guess is they've done four with additional content. An easy way to lengthen what will be "episode 6" would be to reinsert the assassination plot, which I had forgotten was removed from the ball scene. Not sure they'd go through the trouble, though.

On the other hand, the third movie would be easy enough to splice into four episodes, although with about double the amount of cutting as in the first one.

Not that I am a big fan of the Psycho-Pass IP but IG proved with it that an extended TV cut of older material can work and be unanimously regarded as the superior version so I don´t really get how this production came about.
May I ask what extended TV cut are you talking about? I am not aware of this type of operation with any of the Psycho-Pass seasons / movies

residentgrigo

May I ask what extended TV cut are you talking about? I am not aware of this type of operation with any of the Psycho-Pass seasons / movies
Psycho-Pass Extended Edition aired in 2014 to advertise S2 and to tie-in with the novelization of S1. Eps 2 were combined into 1 and every ep got exactly 2 new scenes (acknowledging the novel) with improved CG and the touched-up Blu-Ray animation.

Director´s cuts are their own thing and this isn´t one. Movie versions of ONAs are spliced together with new bits into films as that is easier to sell in the long run but even those movies usually lead to One More Thing. David Production´s Planetarium got an OVA after the expanded film for example. It makes no sense here and the only way to do more is to use material after EP 249. The single worst summary anime of all time has to be Dougram: Documentary of the Fang of the Sun as footage from 75 eps are edited into 83 min but let´s see. The impossible could happen and the AMV in ep 2 has me worried. Old footage or not and it showed that the last ep will have new bits from Vol 13.

I am now internally prepared for the 1% chance. Admittedly rare TV recuts are used as no-budget media ads as nighttime airtime is cheap and them simply existing after the initial money was made gets you into the media cycle. My motion comic idea stands but if anything will be adapted next by the current production company then it has to be the Elfhelm portion. That material is the easiest way to sell the returned manga.

The plot moves so fast, I won't be suprised if they'll manage to cram the lost chlidren chapter in this time spam lol.

The part where Griffith asks Guts if he think that he's an evil person after he ask him to assasinate Julius is really missing for me, but oh well gotta shorten it somehow.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Interestingly, the fourth episode doesn't go into the Bonfire of Dreams, it ends just as Casca is rescued, before they go find Guts. The scene where the two of them are in the cave was lengthened by about 1m15s. Adds back a crucial bit of dialogue, but to be honest the rest is already so cut up and distorted that it doesn't fix much. Casca's characterization is particularly awful, they really did her dirty in these movies. Still, better to have that scene back in than not to.

They also fixed Guts' face model in a close-up that for once I'd say is quite noticeable and impactful. On the negative side, Griffith is still leading the rescue party that comes to get Guts and Casca. Disappointing. Anyway, given how they've cut this up, I'm curious to see how much material they've added to the next episode, and how they handled the Doldrey battle.

residentgrigo

I would not have noticed that there was new stuff if I wasn´t told what to look for. So it is both seamless and not spottable (in a bad way). An old scene that was now finished? To save everyone time.
The new bit starts at 14:14 and lasts till 15:25. That is what needs to be sliced into movie 2 to at least pretend that Casca has an inner life. Both characters are CG models that barely move for the entire duration, the animation is limited and closeups on the neat backgrounds and panning shots are used to pretend that this is a moving picture. I´ll eat a broom if the bonfire of dreams has more money and artistic vision put into it.

I must say the cgi in the added scene in the cave was really well done, I couldn't tell it was cgi until the characters started moving, I think they are touching up some of the facial features using 2d and it looks really seamless, although the first shot of Casca sitting wasn't that great. Also I didn't even notice all those changes from the original movie involving Casca until it was pointed out to me, but definitely a huge improvement. Also do we know if it's 4c that are making the new additions? I'm pretty sure it is because they would have to go back into their files and edit.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Also do we know if it's 4c that are making the new additions? I'm pretty sure it is because they would have to go back into their files and edit.

The "memorial edition" is being handled by Aniplex. But they have access to all the original files, and the TV edit's director worked on the movies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Studio 4°C is still the animation studio for the Memorial Edition. Aniplex are the producers / financers, not the animators.

Studio 4°C isn't explicitly credited for the Memorial Edition though. I was assuming the artists were contracted independently, but I guess it could have gone through them. Kind of a technicality given how little work was done.

I will say, all those face improvements for Guts and Casca are much-appreciated. Although even with the 2D face, the Golden Age Arc films/Memorial Edition Guts looks a little off. Kinda puffier than the manga, like he's been stung by a bee. Still a fan of the trilogy, since it's what brought me to the dance, but ya know. I take the good with the bad.

Studio 4°C isn't explicitly credited for the Memorial Edition though. I was assuming the artists were contracted independently, but I guess it could have gone through them. Kind of a technicality given how little work was done.
Considering all the little updates to the CGI and other tweaks like color adjustments and compositing to the older animations by Studio 4°C, not to mention that they hired previous staff again for the new scenes I take it as a given that it's them again. It wouldn't make much sense to hire a separate studio to rework someone else's outdated work and make the new scenes with their older CG models, and there is no other studio being credited for the animation with Studio 4°C as far as I know.

Anyway, beside all these unclear crediting, has the new Susumu Hirasawa song been used already? Or has any other music from Berserk 1997 been used?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Anyway, beside all these unclear crediting, has the new Susumu Hirasawa song been used already? Or has any other music from Berserk 1997 been used?

The 2016 remix of Forces was used in the second episode. That's all. I'll say, for someone who talks about this thing so much, it's a little weird that you're not watching it. :sweatdrop:

This second half of the year had many unpleasant surprises that didn't put me in a good mood to keep up with all the shows that are airing as well as the older ones that I want to watch... But I'm slowly getting there.
I talk a lot about this because my interest in the Memorial Edition has always been about a slower pacing, more scenes and new music, so hearing from weekly comments here that they're actually going even faster and that they're not doing much with new scenes quite dimished my initial interest.

I still plan to watch it at some point, but I don't feel the urgency anymore.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I talk a lot about this because my interest in the Memorial Edition has always been about a slower pacing, more scenes and new music, so hearing from weekly comments here that they're actually going even faster and that they're not doing much with new scenes quite dimished my initial interest.

It's what I told you from the beginning. :shrug:

I'm guessing there will be about 10 minutes of new content overall, between the scene in the cave, the bonfire of dreams, the tavern/walk with Judo and maybe a couple other things. Probably not much more than that, unless what they're teasing is a whole new episode to cap it off.

Top Bottom