Activation of the LHC

Guts' intestines said:
by watching you might be able to say that I watched as they discovered the God particle and revolutionized physics from then on, to me that beats any ball coming down at midnight,

Or you might be able to say that you watched an online LHC countdown clock, expecting something to actually happen but after it hit zero.. it just eventually restarted and no results were released because the experiment didn't really occur at that specific time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Or you might be able to say that you watched an online LHC countdown clock, expecting something to actually happen but after it hit zero.. it just eventually restarted and no results were released because the experiment didn't really occur at that specific time.

Yeah, you can be sure no actual scientific breakthrough is going to happen as a countdown reaches zero. If those actually mean anything, it's more like powering on various parts of the device.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
I'm talking about sept. 10, in which we were told that the machine will be activated at full power. Whether they do another countdown...IDK; right now the site is down, but if they do another one it'll tie into the live webcast. This is more comparable to the New Year's telecast except this is what I called more important, not just staring at the clock that counts down to a freaken cooldown.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
fuxberg said:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8Vr00EBHA

Michio Kaku: Mini Black Holes and the Large Hadron Collider

..you could get the same type of information by looking up "Black Hole" in a suitable technical literature. Good to know that youtube is slowly making books become obsolete. Maybe there should be a poll to see who's still frightened about that damned thing.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
So the US almost had a Manhattan sized LHC, but we can't because some redneck judge only cared about meeting Jesus?

No my friend, that would be unreasonable. He just wants to find God with the help of a machine.

Actually i'm excited about this experiment, i doubt that Earth will be sucked in by a black hole and be compressed to 1cm, that wouldn't be fun..
Question:
Does time slow down around a black hole?

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
fuxberg said:
No my friend, that would be unreasonable. He just wants to find God with the help of a machine.

Actually i'm excited about this experiment, i doubt that Earth will be sucked in by a black hole and be compressed to 1cm, that wouldn't be fun..
Question:
Does time slow down around a black hole?

According to Einstein, yes. There's a massive space/time distortion around the "hole". The closer you get, the more it would seem like you're frozen in time.

But is that because the light can't "escape" the gravitational well of the BH? So it seems that everything is frozen to the outside viewer, but what if the subject is within the BH gravitational influence? Does time carry on normally to the subject? (Assuming that he isn't destroyed by the BH).

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
fuxberg said:
But is that because the light can't "escape" the gravitational well of the BH? So it seems that everything is frozen to the outside viewer, but what if the subject is within the BH gravitational influence? Does time carry on normally to the subject? (Assuming that he isn't destroyed by the BH).

I think it only seems like something is frozen in time to an outside observer because no light can escape the gravitational pull, you just can't "see" what's really happening around the edges of the BH. For the subject that's caught in the gravitational well, i think, it could feel like its falling forever to the very center of the hole. Maybe it's something between existence and non-existence. I don't really know because i haven't been out of the normal flow of time recently.^^

Guts intestines

SimplyEd said:
I think it only seems like something is frozen in time to an outside observer because no light can escape the gravitational pull, you just can't "see" what's really happening around the edges of the BH. For the subject that's caught in the gravitational well, i think, it could feel like its falling forever to the very center of the hole. Maybe it's something between existence and non-existence. I don't really know because i haven't been out of the normal flow of time recently.^^

Well, I think the theory (only theory since no human has ever been in a blackhole) is that the bh's gravitational pull is so strong that it pulls on the fabric that is space-time to the point that nothing can escape it. According to one of Einstein's theories, space-time is like a large fabric or sheet that is spread across the universe. When celestial bodies lie across this field/sheet they press down on it causing smaller things to drift towards the grooves in space time that they create, but even smaller things make these grooves so the larger objects can only pull them in a centrifugal (instead of the larger object's greater gravitational influence pulling them into collision) motion around them which creates grooves that surround the larger object(s). This is what explains planets having orbits around a star, and how they don't get pulled into the star, as well as how they can be knocked out of orbit if they are not out of their groove in space-time. A BH freezes time not because of absence of light but because it pulls on the fabric of space-time and stretches it infinitely, so if space-time is like a bed sheet a minute of time may have been a centimeter of space on the sheet, when its stretched this little increment of time could be stretched so severly that a minute is the space of a football field. This is only an illustration because blackholes cause infinite stretch at the point of no return, so if a centimeter of space on the sheet once was a minute, then when it's stretched infinitely this minute of space is stretched to the point that no time passes at all. The separate attribute of blackholes is that their gravitational pull is so strong that the fastest known thing in the universe, light, is unable to escape their grasps. This has been a science moment brought to you by Guts' intestines, thank you.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Guts' intestines said:
The separate attribute of blackholes is that their gravitational pull is so strong that the fastest known thing in the universe, light, is unable to escape their grasps. This has been a science moment brought to you by Guts' intestines, thank you.

Which is not taking into account high frequency gamma particles, which should be way faster than lightspeed, and possibly able to escape a BH's grasp. Also, there's still the thing with BH's losing mass by emitting radiation as soon as they're formed.

Did you know that BH don't suck everything around it, you can actually orbit around a BH.
Hmm.. I may have too much free time, i spent 2hrs watching a doc about black holes.

Guts everyone knows that :ganishka:

Guts intestines

Well, you 2 asked the question.... Besides light is the (as far as we know for sure) fastest thing in the universe and...

fuxberg said:
Did you know that BH don't suck everything around it, you can actually orbit around a BH.
Hmm.. I may have too much free time, i spent 2hrs watching a doc about black holes.

Guts everyone knows that :ganishka:
btw I said its gravity is infinitely strong at the point of no return so you'd have to be pretty close, everyone knows that. Otherwise, then orbiting a bh is possible, once at the point of no return (hence the name) this becomes impossible.

Guts intestines

toolkid2112 said:
i hear september 10 is the day for this thing to go down i hope its on live tv

Yup, that's the date.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I just now saw that error. I'm glad I could fix it.

Ya know for a second I actually thought I wrote that, I was like "What the hell, why would I start talking about Roadrunner?" Then I read what you said and yelled "BOB" while shaking my fist in the air. Hmm, maybe the fist shake could be what Rakshas' would be emoticon stands for.

UPDATE: I was almost going to double post but decided not to, anyway the sept. 10 firing was a success but I guess we all have to wait to see if they discovered anything.

X

Xem

Or maybe they should listen to the hackers.

Not all hackers have malicious intent, some of them are trying to help.

Guts intestines

pippin22 said:
There's a large hadron in my pants. :carcus:

Ha...HA! :schierke:

Anyway, there will be no actual particle collisions until october, so it was just another chance to get excited about nothing.

EDIT: May have been funnier had you said large HARDon Collider, just maybe, but its too late!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
The Perineum Falcon said:
I bet they don't even know how to turn it on......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_re_eu/eu_big_bang

Either way that's still kinda embarrassing. If I were them, I'd sit down and eat some tasty french fries after adding some

oldbay.jpg

Top Bottom