Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue Mage

• Corsair

• Puppetmaster

• Total voters
My favorite is Black Mage, because it does a great amount of damage, gets the strongest spells in the game, also a fun job to play. So what is its attack and defence is terrible

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
However you have to get to 30 first to play as beastmaster.

I used to play. Never found dunes that bad. I've gone 10-20 through there perhaps a dozen times. Couldn't find time to play anymore and I wasn't really getting anywhere so I rid myself of that money drain.

My advice- quit now before you blow away your life!

Level 75 talking here; when I reached the level, all i had left was wasted time and a hole in my soul :judo:.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
DemonX v.2.0 said:
My advice- quit now before you blow away your life!

Level 75 talking here; when I reached the level, all i had left was wasted time and a hole in my soul :judo:.
Thats only because the expansion hadnt come out yet right? You did get the expansion.... right? :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheBeast43105 said:
I heard from a friend that it takes a while to level up and that you lose experience every time you lose. That stinks....

That's pretty much the concept of every MMORPG.

CnC

Ad Oculos
TheBeast43105 said:
I heard from a friend that it takes a while to level up and that you lose experience every time you lose. That stinks....

back when I played UO, that sort of life-on-the-line mentality really made the game gripping. If you died, you lost all your shit on your person. And that meant something. When they made that sort of thing downright impossible (I believe they made PVM servers) the game lost its adrenaline

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Aazealh said:

No, not really. There is no experience loss in Guild Wars when you die (just get ressurected by a party member or wait until the whole group enters a new map or all die and you respawn) and in World of Warcraft you become a spirit and just need to run back to your corpse (although you can lose experience and be automaticly put into your body to save time running around to get to it). I'm not sure but I think when UO revoked the "when you die you get looted" approach and made no loss of experience on death..

Not sure on that last one though. But like CnC said the concept of losing something of value in the game (experience or actual items) can add an extra fun-factor and a sense of adrenaline, but at other times can just be down right frusterating.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
No, not really.

Yes it is.

First off my reply wasn't only targeted at experience loss, whatever though. Second, death penalties (which most often result in XP loss, but let's be precise) are a standard and basic fundament of MMORPGs. Guild War uses a special system that reduces the player's maximum amount of health and energy by a percentage of the penalty. You have to kill enemies to get back to normal. Typical system. The possibility of getting resurrected by party members is present in a lot of games and obviously doesn't negate this mechanic at all, in fact it's a direct consequence of it, calculated by the developers and often used to valorize "healer" classes or their equivalent (talking broadly here). And it's the same for WoW, although if you manage to get back to your corpse as a ghost you won't suffer the penalty, because to travel back to it is considered to be enough of a penalty already. This was done by Blizzard along with other features in an effort to appeal more to the mainstream audience, and it worked. As for UO, it's one of the games that had the biggest death penalties ever. It actually was a huge issue in-game... It became trivial after years, when everybody had rez scrolls and with the changes that cost the game much of its popularity. Not relevant here, the game was just altered after its commercial death. Anyway you can always find an exception that proves the rule, but it doesn't change the facts.

Aazealh said:

Yeah, obviously. Im saying that its more so in FF XI. It takes longer than your average MMORPG to level up and you lose more experience than in other ones.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Thats only because the expansion hadnt come out yet right? You did get the expansion.... right?  :guts:

I quit the day before it came out *pats himself on the back*  :guts:

As far as loosing exp in FF11, its irritating. At higher levels, one death can lose you several hours (about 4 to 5) of experience.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DemonX v.2.0 said:
At higher levels, one death can lose you several hours (about 4 to 5) of experience.

In EverQuest before they eased the game to attract new players (when it started to fail basically) a death at high level would cost you about as much (if not more, hard to remember from memory). In short, dying at level 59 meant you had wasted your day (and I'm mean while getting the biggest resurrection available of course).

TheBeast43105 said:
I lose about 4000 experience when i die. Thank goodness that there is usually a high lvl white mage near by that can raise 2 or 3 you and you lose only 30-10% of the amount lost.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
First off my reply wasn't only targeted at experience loss, whatever though.

Ahh, I thought it was since you quoted TheBeast43105 and he was only talking about the experience aspect, sort of seemed like you were reffering just to experience loss and not general negative effects from death in MMO's. No worries though, I get what you mean. :guts:

Final Fantasy has a PvP mode also but you have to go to a special place to do it, Its called Ballista; and it is a lot of fun to do also the good thing is you don't lose exp or items points when you die there.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
I have the game although I technically can't play it. :puck:

To make a long story short my old computer had problems and I had to sell it off and get a new computer.  Hence, I had to discontinue my FFXI service for awhile.  So once I get my new computer I download the game to my system and try to log into play online only to find that if my account is deactivated for 30 days it means I have to buy another freaking copy of the game.  My discs are still like brand new (I barely got to play the game before my first computer's problems appeared) and now they're totally worthless. >:(

Seriously, I think SquareEnix has more than enough money than to pull this sort of thing on their loyal fans.

Ah well, sorry for the rant.  But if I do get around to buying another copy of the game I'll have to post my server name and ID up here.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Raziel said:
I have the game although I technically can't play it. :puck:

To make a long story short my old computer had problems and I had to sell it off and get a new computer. Hence, I had to discontinue my FFXI service for awhile. So once I get my new computer I download the game to my system and try to log into play online only to find that if my account is deactivated for 30 days it means I have to buy another freaking copy of the game. My discs are still like brand new (I barely got to play the game before my first computer's problems appeared) and now they're totally worthless. >:(

Seriously, I think SquareEnix has more than enough money than to pull this sort of thing on their loyal fans.

Ah well, sorry for the rant. But if I do get around to buying another copy of the game I'll have to post my server name and ID up here.

Jump on the WoW bandwagon. :guts:

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
I play, but I think I've posted that before. I'm not 75 or anything crazy. But I've leveled a decent bit of jobs. After quitting once for around 6-8 months I came back and did Samurai to 61, Dragoon to 51, Monk to 56 (job I'm working on now), Paladin to 33, Warrior to 37, thief to 37, and just about every other melee job to 15 by solo.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Raziel said:
if my account is deactivated for 30 days it means I have to buy another freaking copy of the game. My discs are still like brand new (I barely got to play the game before my first computer's problems appeared) and now they're totally worthless. >:(
Wow, what a bunch of horseshit.

[quote author=Square-Enix Customer Support]
Squenix: "Oh, so you've changed your mind, and have come crawling back to us?! $50 for your insolence, you lecherous gamer!"

Gamer: "I was in the hospital and lost both my legs... I... I'm sorry."

Squenix: "Only the weak let their petty life's troubles interfere with their gaming habits! Pay up, scum! .... I'm waaaaaating!"

Gamer: "20, 30, 40...."

Squenix: "TOO SLOW! $25 processing fee!"[/quote]

Raziel said:
Ah well, sorry for the rant.  But if I do get around to buying another copy of the game I'll have to post my server name and ID up here.
Well if you ever decide to come back i will be happy to buy any of you a world pass so you all can come to my server. We will all start are own linkshell, make it white and call it "thebandofthehawk". (you can not put spaces when naming the linkshell, if your wondering). It willl be cool playing final fantasy 11 with all you guys, you will enjoy it.

Top Bottom