Anyone into the Fire Emblem Series?

Yozuru

"I say when it ends!" - Lucina
I have been playing the Fire Emblem games on the DS, such as FE:Awakening and FE:Fates.

I was wondering if anyone share the same enjoyment of the games? :???:

If you haven't played any of them, it's a fantastic handheld game! :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I like them, but haven't played one in a while. Last one was Awakening I think, on 3DS. My beef with the series is that I've known it for a long time, and I think it doesn't renew itself enough. It's pretty formulaic nowadays and I've kinda outgrown it as a result.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've played Sacred Stones, Awakening and half of Fates: Conquest.

Similar to Dragon Quest, I've tried quite hard to understand the hubbub around this franchise, but it's just not for me. I think the stories are generic, the characters are boring tropes (that repeat from game to game). I always feel like I'm watching some B-grade anime instead of experiencing a unique world with an actual story to tell. Combat in Fire Emblem games (particularly recently) rarely involves actual tactics, aside from moving a phalanx of your squad members slowly toward the enemy, while building up relationships so you can counter attack and one-hit-kill them.

The first S-RPG I played was FF Tactics, followed by Front Mission, and I found those stories/characters/world and systems are much more engaging (Front Mission DS is a fantastic version of the game, btw, with the full game and a second campaign). So when Awakening was getting all sorts of buzz, I was psyched for an entry among that caliber, and was sorely disappointed in what I found. For all its wordiness, I could summarize Awakenings' story in about two sentences.

aquarake

8-bit Wizard
Fire Emblem is one of my favorite video game franchises. I just started Fates: Conquest and am loving it so far!

Walter said:
I've played Sacred Stones, Awakening and half of Fates: Conquest.

Similar to Dragon Quest, I've tried quite hard to understand the hubbub around this franchise, but it's just not for me. I think the stories are generic, the characters are boring tropes (that repeat from game to game). I always feel like I'm watching some B-grade anime instead of experiencing a unique world with an actual story to tell. Combat in Fire Emblem games (particularly recently) rarely involves actual tactics, aside from moving a phalanx of your squad members slowly toward the enemy, while building up relationships so you can counter attack and one-hit-kill them.

The first S-RPG I played was FF Tactics, followed by Front Mission, and I found those stories/characters/world and systems are much more engaging (Front Mission DS is a fantastic version of the game, btw, with the full game and a second campaign). So when Awakening was getting all sorts of buzz, I was psyched for an entry among that caliber, and was sorely disappointed in what I found. For all its wordiness, I could summarize Awakenings' story in about two sentences.

The best FE games were on SNES , FE IV Genealogy of the Holy War had an amazing story/plot and superb OST, a bit more tactic than DS/3DS entries , the difficulty was cheap with all those holy weapons and OP Chars (except last boss....insane if not killed with yuria / Julia).

And Finally, FE 5 Thracia 776 , its brutal , just brutal. Hard as Hell , but very addictive, a lot of changes from previous installments(fatigue , Rescue/Take/Drop Allies, Capture enemies ,Build vs wpn weight /steal items /Rescue, lvl and stat caps, equip Scrolls to boost stat growths,etc ) a must play for any SRPG Fan.

In GBA FE 6 sword of seal is better than FE 7. sadly both have abominable graphics and a downgrade in game mechanics.

FFTactics , Ogre Battle , FE 4/5 , nobody make games like those anymore..... :sad:

Crimson Blade

Burns eternally hot
I got into with Awakening, as I was looking for other games past Pokemon to play on 3DS when I bought it, and Awakening was unanimously praised by just about everyone.
Along with the other few I did buy, only FE lived up to the hype. And I got so into it. It was exhausting at first, even on normal, being a total newbie but I'm also a grind-addict when it comes to my games, so it wasn't long before I was unstoppable.

The best part about Awakening was its characters; I loved getting them to talk to one another, hooking up and everything else that went along with them. It was so exhausting at first, it was really only the characters that kept it so light for me despite that.

I need to replay it much harder next time. Even hard mode got way too easy by the end with how I play.

When I had heard about Fates, I was put off at first because of the new skills (seemed way too complicated now, lots of RGN and numbers) and because I had heard "Awakening's story sucked, but this one's good", which I didn't agree with. I pretty much said "Well, you say that, you better blow my balls away with this story."

But, it did. I went in with harsh expectations and it completely passed. I got super into it as well. The optimal path of Fates is Birthright, Conquest, then Revelation. Birthright was easy on Lunatic, for the most part, because of how I play, but still fun. Really fun. And still really challenging.

The characters were just as good, but they all felt a little more grounded with their layering, like they could actually be real, which I did appreciate more.

And Conquest kinda pissed me off because it's virtually unbeatable on high difficulty without cheating or DLC (which is just paying to cheat), but I persevered. I didn't have as much with it because of that though. Might have to just stick with Hard.

I'm gong to play Revelation soon, especially before the Switch one, which looks amazing. But I'm most looking forward to Revelation as the canon story, with almost everyone included. And with the ability to grind restored.

The new game too looks amazing. No more boring Warriors to get those kind of great graphics. Can't wait.

Top Bottom