Assassination of Julius and Adonis

Sammoniac

You taffers!
I'm rereading the manga right now, and something struck me about this part of the story (I'm sorry if it was discussed before but I searched a little and never found anything regarding my point - please redirect me if you have already been debating this).
Why the hell didn't anyone recognize Guts while he was fleeing after killing Julius and Adonis? I mean, there were countless guards who saw/were slain by his gigantic blade... and if I recall, Guts is the only character in the series who wields such a big sword, besides Zodd.
Just by looking at Adonis' wound (and the damage on the wall behind him), everyone could have suspected it was Guts' work, and not that of a simple "thief".

Forgive me if the answer lies in the story, Its been a while since I read it..
Just curious to know what you guys think about that :azan:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
The only people who had seen Guts on the battlefield were the band and any soldiers around, not random castle guardsmen. Not to mention there's no proof that ONLY Guts uses a large sword, but he probably is the only assassin to use that sort of weapon... :troll:

Sammoniac said:
I'm rereading the manga right now, and something struck me about this part of the story (I'm sorry if it was discussed before but I searched a little and never found anything regarding my point - please redirect me if you have already been debating this).
Why the hell didn't anyone recognize Guts while he was fleeing after killing Julius and Adonis? I mean, there were countless guards who saw/were slain by his gigantic blade... and if I recall, Guts is the only character in the series who wields such a big sword, besides Zodd.
Just by looking at Adonis' wound (and the damage on the wall behind him), everyone could have suspected it was Guts' work, and not that of a simple "thief".

Forgive me if the answer lies in the story, Its been a while since I read it..
Just curious to know what you guys think about that :azan:

He more or less didn't leave any survivors. The only people that actually got a "visual" of him were the people that got killed and the archers on the bridge that shot at him. However, they only got a glimpse of his back. It was the middle of the night, and he was wearing a cloak and hood. Plus his sword wasn't all that big back then. Sure it was larger than normal but I don't think the archers were able to make the connection. Or may not have gotten a good look at his sword. He was moving pretty fast, on top of trying to hide his face in the middle of the night, at a distance. those are not the easiest circumstances under which one can positively identify someone else.

As far as the damage and wounds go, Maybe Sherlock Holmes was on vacation. Jk, only an expert would be able to tell. Later in the manga, Serpico makes an attempt at identifying the weapon used on a bunch of corpses. The groups initial speculation is that it was done by a number of people, he corrects them that it was done by one person. The next speculation is that it was done by a large axe. But its later confirmed that it was done by a sword. Point of all that being, that the damage and wounds would have been insufficient to identify the weapon, even when Guts was using the DS, let alone his Golden age sword.

Also, like mentioned, most people didn't know about Guts' weapon. Or about Guts himself. Only the Hawks and other soldiers ever really saw him in combat, except I guess the King and some of his guard when the Hawks got the job of protecting the flank of the Midland army (or something, I'm hazy on the specifics of that first battle with the Ram knights or wheover of Tudor.) Anyway, most of the attention later went to Griffith anyway.

The assassination itself occurred during the 100 year war. It would have taken some serious evidence for most people to suspect that someone on Midland's side did it and not Tudor. Even from a motive perspective. Only Minister Foss, his associates, and the assassin himself knew about Julius' attempted assassination of Griffith. Everyone else would assume that the only people to gain from Julius' death would be Tudor. Killing two potential successors to the throne, as well as the "top" general of Midland. How would anyone under normal circumstances even suspect Guts?
Plus, Griffith played his cards right, by attending the party with Charlotte. Even the attempt on his own life (plus the excuse that it was an attempt on the princess) helped direct the blame away from him, or anyone in his group.

At least that's the way I see it but please keep in mind that I haven't reread the Golden age in like 2-3 years.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Thanks Ramen, you knocked some sense into me :badbone:
I knew that Miura wouldn't make such mistakes, but I just thought that more people in the castle would have seen Guts training around the castle everyday. What you said makes sense, most guards did only see his back (except a couple of them waiting in front of him when the archers starting shooting behind, just before he jumped down the ramp).

What bothered me the most was his obviously large sword. The ones who saw it before would most likely have been impressed and talked to others about it.
Like, you know, ; - " Hey, ye lazy-arsed peons! The White Hawks' commander wields a blade that's longer than me hags' period, so stop complainin' and swing them needles around! "

But I guess you're right, I was just over-analyzing hehe

Top Bottom