Assassin's Creed

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
I think that article just covers UK charts though, so in itself it doesn't mean much.

It does cover the UK only, true. But I posted with that in mind. Considering how stellar a week it is for games I think that still says something.

Beautiful, just beautiful... but redundant like none other (well, spiderman 2 etc...) but even spiderman had more side objectives... all you do in this game for side objectives is help victims of guards and find view points... this game screams batman skin to me... that would be great... even the main objectives become repetative... pickpocket some guy, beat up some dude for info and eavesdrop... then go and kill one baddy who is no more threatening and capable than a random city guard... i can run around for hours though... this is why i compared it to spiderman 2 earlier... i got the same feeling from swinging and exploring the city and high points in that game as well... potential? i agree... i just hope they are listening because alot of people are saying the same thing from what i have read... again, visually stunning but completely lacking substance... i am disappointed and blown away at the same time (strange)

edit:: *24 hrs later* this game has the worst and most abrupt ending i have ever witnessed; reminiscent of old jackie chan movies... overall mood=sad :judo:

I really enjoyed the game (though I would have preferred a less fantastical story line - still that isn't a major complaint) - I am always glad to see developers take risks. The interface works fairly well, though some really interesting things could be done with combat between the player and large groups of guards (though I see the challenge that it would present developers). I have more to say but I am really tired...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Psymont 2.0 said:
edit:: *24 hrs later* this game has the worst and most abrupt ending i have ever witnessed; reminiscent of old jackie chan movies... overall mood=sad :judo:

I heard there's something after the credits. Is this what you're referring to?

Actually, never mind don't spoil it :)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Jade Raymond has been the sole reason for peoples excitement on this game, let's be honest.

I was climbing hills, castles and temples in Shadow of the Colossus the other day... can't help but feel they aren't doing ground breaking stuff in terms of the ability to climb multiple places, but are definitely expanding on it. I admit I was excited when I first saw it, but after seeing a couple of demo play-throughs and hearing what genuine gamers are saying (don't take gaming website reviews all too seriously) I can say if I were to own a PS3 or 360 I'd rent this game and leave it at that.

Well done to all those who unnecessarily bought the ULTIMATE LIMITED COLLECTORS SPECIAL EDITION, though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
Jade Raymond has been the sole reason for peoples excitement on this game, let's be honest.

Nope. That's retarded.

Uriel said:
I was climbing hills, castles and temples in Shadow of the Colossus the other day... can't help but feel they aren't doing ground breaking stuff in terms of the ability to climb multiple places, but are definitely expanding on it. I admit I was excited when I first saw it, but after seeing a couple of demo play-throughs and hearing what genuine gamers are saying (don't take gaming website reviews all too seriously) I can say if I were to own a PS3 or 360 I'd rent this game and leave it at that.

Well done to all those who unnecessarily bought the ULTIMATE LIMITED COLLECTORS SPECIAL EDITION, though.

really the only legitimate comparison to Shadow of the Colossus would be the horse riding. The rest feels a lot like crackdown, like I've said earlier in the thread.

Uriel

The fascination in her is, yes. And I hadn't even thought of the horse, but that's been found in plenty of other games.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
The fascination in her is, yes.

Sorry, but that's a pretty stupid statement. Thinking Assassin's sole reason for play is to somehow please the female producer (i.e not a designer) of the game? It's almost immediately discounted since a lot of people have been paying attention to this game since it's done by the PoP:SoT team from when they showed a tech demo for the animation system back at a GDC a while back.

Here's a much better article on the failings of the game:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/11/review-why-assa.html

It, no doubt, sums up your arguments much better.

Uriel

I'll avoid quoting the post directly above me -- that is something special between you and Aaz =)

What started off as an exaggeration about said Ubisoft producer shouldn't lead to an argument now should it? I wasn't trolling after all. And I did say it was the reason for peoples excitement, not for playing it. Now that it's out, her involvement is somewhat minimal. I don't discount your being miffed at me, but let's be fair and reasonable about saying she got a lot more attention than the game did when it came her advertising it to the gaming community.

LittleJadesPNG.png

Insightful article, though, even though some of the comments were not. Cheers for the link!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
I'll avoid quoting the post directly above me -- that is something special between you and Aaz =)

:ganishka:

Well all I did was point out how ridiculous your statement was; because you said "sole reason". Even if you were to claim that was the sole reason for just the game's marketing, you'd be wrong. However now that you claim thats an exaggeration, fine (just don't get all defensive when you knowingly b.s).

Like the article said, there are things the game does well, and there are several problems. I don't read articles for the comments.

Oburi

All praise Grail
All Jade Raymond did was be nice guide and nice to look at and listen to while watching previews and it did help build up some more excitement for the release of the game, for me anyway. But yea i agree with everything that has been said about the game itself, specially CnC, since everyones opinions on the game are along the same lines. There are things they could improve on, but it's a revolutionary game to me, sets a new slandered. And like all revolutionary games that are so close to being perfect, spotting the little imperfections is easy because there are so few and it makes the game inches away from being...the future of gaming tech.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I just got it with my PS3 HD cables and I'm playing in my home theater. I almost went blind from the beauty and of the cities. It really gives you that city feel during play, and when your being chased you feel like your being hunted down. If your climbing guards will through rocks at you, and they always catch up.

There's a big difference betweent the 360 and PS3 versions because of Blu-ray. The bigger disc allows far more people to be rendered at a time. For the PS3 at least the cities are really bustling with people of all types (ordinary people of varying backrounds depending on region, beggars for every type of common people, retards that hit you when nearby, and plenty of guards).

CnC

Ad Oculos
Odd that this thread has been bumped, as I just finished the game a few minutes ago.

Gonna talk about the end, but I'll refrain from spoilers:
Overall I'm pleased with the way it ended. I think the complaints about the end can be justified, however I think the real end of the game was earlier and what people think is the end is more of an epilogue. And I think most of the meat of the story happened towards the end, so I think they should have paced it better.

So while the core of it can be repetitive, I just took my time playing it. It felt fresh for a 2 hour stint running around the cities then I felt comfortable turning it off and returning to it later. It really doesn't drive you, you drive it. And I suppose it's up to you whether or not you like that idea.

Overall: 8.0. And I do hope they make a sequel :)

---
Okin said:
There's a big difference betweent the 360 and PS3 versions because of Blu-ray. The bigger disc allows far more people to be rendered at a time.

I'm afraid that's incorrect. I've read nothing of the sort along those lines when I did all the reading up on what version to buy. There are comparison videos up somewhere but I'm too tired to go searching for a link atm.

RealHarlekin

Me hungry!
Okin said:
The bigger disc allows far more people to be rendered at a time.
Well that is a strange and wrong conclusion. The amount of characters renderable depends on the hardware (especially the GPU). So it is not a matter of putting many characters on the disc but of how often the character-types can be displayed (in the end if you see 30 characters on the screen there are not 30 character models loaded, only lets say 6 different character models "coated" with 5 different textures). But interesting reasoning (bigger disc, more chars). :guts:

Aazealh said:
The PS3 version is the inferior version. Sorry. :(
I think arguing about the two versions would be a tedious task. I admit that you are right if one had the "luck" of having the PS3 updated with the latest firmware (2.0), as in this case AC is full of bugs.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RealHarlekin said:
I think arguing about the two versions would be a tedious task. I admit that you are right if one had the "luck" of having the PS3 updated with the latest firmware (2.0), as in this case AC is full of bugs.

Well, I'll let that video I posted earlier speak for me anyway. =) And I think you mean those who haven't had the luck to get the patch, right? It's true it fixed some of the problems, albeit not all of them.

RealHarlekin

Me hungry!
Aazealh said:
Well, I'll let that video I posted earlier speak for me anyway. =)
As I said, no need to discuss this. All this comparison stuff hardly depends on the capturing and general equipment used, on the intentions you got and who pays most for your opinion :puck: (of course not all these factors apply to every comparison made, but no-one states which factors apply). Just search hard enough and you will get a comparison showing that the PS3 version looks better. In the end it doesn't matter anyways as most people will buy the version according to the console owned and not buy the console for the version best looking.

Aazealh said:
And I think you mean those who haven't had the luck to get the patch, right? It's true it fixed some of the problems, albeit not all of them.
No, I was talking about the PS3's firmware. Owners without internet connection run their PS3 with the primal firmware resulting in AC running flawlessly. Those whose PS3 always is state-of-the-art (i.e. firmware V2.0) were suffering from the graphics problem (pre-patch). So now we are on PC level with videogames: receiving patches and suffering from incompatibilities between different SW in different versions (here: game and firmware). Where are the good ol' days? :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RealHarlekin said:
Just search hard enough and you will get a comparison showing that the PS3 version looks better.

How about you find one for me? =) Not that I mean to insist since I agree with what you say in general, but in this case I doubt gametrailers rigged the comparison video. I don't think they have a reason to care much actually. I mean, are the framerate problems everybody reported a conspiracy too? And yeah, I was referring to the problems encountered with an up-to-date system of course.

RealHarlekin said:
No, I was talking about the PS3's firmware. [...] So now we are on PC level with videogames: receiving patches and suffering from incompatibilities between different SW in different versions (here: game and firmware). Where are the good ol' days? :judo:

Ah, Ok. Well, that's what Sony wanted. They were already trying to pass off the PS2 as a super-computer when it was released. Now they've finally succeeded with the PS3, and it seems everyone's following the trend too. They can only blame themselves for the associated problems.

Assassin's Creed comparison
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28005.html

Beowulf comparison for the hell of it
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28198.html

Apparently there's a setting for your video display on the PS3 that fixes these problems. In the display settings the system is set to Limited by default and it can be changed to Full for HD TV settings. Setting it to Full is supposed to take away the faded look and make the visuals crisper and cleaner.

People are talking about comparison vids and that's the only one out, so I assumed it was the one you were looking for. Well at least the last part of my post has some merit to it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Assassin's Creed 2

Teaser website for Assassin's Creed 2: http://assassinscreed.uk.ubi.com/assassins-creed-2/teaser/

And some gameplay details courtesy of http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/?p=6548.

So where is the game taking place?

The setting is one thing about Assassin’s Creed 2 that gamers are very curious about. Well we can tell you that the game takes place during the Italian Renaissance in cities like Sicily and Venice. You will play in the game as a player named “Ezio”, and other multiple characters. It is not confirmed whether you will play as these new characters only in the animus, or also in the real world.

Now some of the major new gameplay features…

Many complained about the first game being repetitive, and the team at Ubisoft hopes to change that with some new gameplay features. One of these new features will be the ability for players to swim. This could provide some new interesting levels and missions in cities like Venice. There is also the ability for the assassin to stab and attack enemies from the roof or while they are lying in the hay.

Another new feature will be that when gamers attend events such as “balls”, players will be able to wear masks to fit in amongst the crowd. The demo that our source played said that he was able to disguise as a dancer in the ball and very smoothly take out his enemy without anybody knowing it.

Not only this, but there will no longer be cinematics in the game. Instead they will be moving towards more quick-time event cut scenes in the game. This is to keep the gamer engaged in the crucial gameplay/story moments. This is a great step to keep the gameplay more engaging than it was in the past game.

This game is shaping up to be a highly anticipated 2009 title…

While the first game was fun and had some good ideas going for it, it was far from perfect. There were some repetitive moments, and lack of exciting gameplay features. Hopefully with an exciting setting, improved battle mechanics, the ability to swim, and improved stealth mechanics this game will live up to the hype gamers put on the first one.

Hopefully it's going to rock. I actually really liked the first game, despite its repetitiveness, so I'm looking forward to this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://kotaku.com/5206809/meet-assassins-creed-iis-new-assassin?skyline=true&s=x

Shows off the new central character of the sequel.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
http://kotaku.com/5206809/meet-assassins-creed-iis-new-assassin?skyline=true&s=x

Shows off the new central character of the sequel.

Hehe, saw that as I was leaving work. :guts: Apparently there will be 16 types of missions now, replacing the paltry eavesdropping, pickpocketing and interrogation of the first installment. Sounds pretty good so far.

Dani

Smile!
Here's the Game Informer details. I didnt pick up the first game after a few hours having a go. They really seem to be addressing the main complaints from the first game. If they succeed, I'm certainly going to be picking this up. Sounds promising so far.

- You'll have a ton of new weapons to choose from including an axe, a hammer, a mace, a spear, 2 different sword types, a spear axe thing, and 2 smaller blades
- You CAN swim
- Da Vincis workshop is in the game
- Locations include Saint Marks Basilica, The Grand Canal, The Little Canal, and the Rialto bridge.
- The game opens in 1476, Altair is from 1191
- So you do indeed play as a new ancestor of Altair / Desmond
-You will see the countryside of Tuscany
- The "Auditore" family is mentioned
- The main characters name is Ezio Auditore de Firenze
- He is a nobleman of Florence
- Big characters are in the game including Machiavelli, Caterina Sofrza, and Lorenzo de Medici
- YOU DO INDEED FLY AND THERES A PICTURE OF IT.
and thats just what I got from the pictures. I'll let you know more details as I read more.
- Game will feature a new notoriety system that governs how enemy soldiers and people will treat you.
- You can disarm enemies and use their own weapons against them this time.
- each weapon has a special move.
- 16 unique mission types.
- No more ease dropping or pick pocketing missions.
- If you get beat up to much you will need to see a street side doctor to regain ful strength.
- Hidden objects (like flags in the first one) are there to uncover but this time if you track them down you will get in-game bonuses that make it worth your time.
- Items include, flags, statues, and gold coins and more that isnt mentioned.
- New enemy types with unique attitudes and weaknesses are present in the game. Archers are mentioned, as well as elite enemies, dagger wielders, "Brutish" armored troops with heavy armor and 2 handed swords and axes, and an intelligent halberd enemy will probe hiding places with their weapons if they think you're near by.
- While hiding in a hay bail you can assassinate people this time, but it may expose your position.
- You can still climb towers and ride horses
- The Lorendo de Medici assassination is in the game.
- There is now a night and day sequence in the game.
- 240 people are working on this title.

Top Bottom