How about a Berserk community re-read?

would you want to take part of a bi-weekly community re-read?

• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Yes, but not every time

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
For quite some time now I wanted to arragne a community re-read from the start of the manga.

The idea I've got is the following:
Every two weeks we will read a complete volume and discuss it (in the same or different threads - its up to the admins's judgment).
I think we can get a lot of new insights about the story with our current knowledge and THE POWER OF RETROSPECT, and just re-experiencing this story with all of this wonderful community sounds amazing in general.

So... who's up for that? If we'll get around 10 peole who will be there from the start it can be get very active in the long run :puck:

Best,

Hey there! I invite you to leverage listening to the Skullcast episodes (housed in the Podcast section of the forum) where Admins and guests have covered a Berserk re-read with their amazing analysis and insight. This has been done up to Vol 27.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cool! I do think one thread for the whole re-read should be plenty (if not and it gets crazy then we can move things around). But title it appropriately, like: Ongoing Community Re-read

And we can have the first post be updated over time with a list of volumes and jump links to the current volume being discussed.

Like this:
  • Volume 1 (no jump link)
  • Volume 2 (jumps to post #x)
  • Volume 3 (jumps to post #xx)
    etc...
I'd also like to find ways of encouraging thoughtful insights and opinions. So maybe we can come up with a list of prompts or questions to guide the discussion for each post

Hi! I'm interested in doing this, since I have struggled to complete a full re-read of the manga by myself. The issue is that as of a few months ago I had actually finished re-reading the Golden Age so I'm not sure if I'd start over again or just try to go forward. In any case, I'd love to participate to this at some point!

Hi people!
How about a volume per month?
Honestly, it is hard for me to keep up with a pace of 1 volume/2 weeks, if we agree on 1 volume per month count me in.
Also isn't having one forum section with different threads better? We can have polls, or maybe if someone is interested in revisiting the discussion in the future it will be more organized.

Also me not being a lurker, that's a first!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Also isn't having one forum section with different threads better? We can have polls, or maybe if someone is interested in revisiting the discussion in the future it will be more organized.

I don't think this project warrants an entire forum section, especially not at this point. It can start with one thread and when that one thread gets too big, more can be made. Making a new thread each time is useless if it only gets 10 replies.

I do think 2 weeks is a bit fast to spend on each volume—particularly if we're gathering feedback from people who are participating. Anybody else ? I feel like we’d have a hard time keeping that pace and not losing people over time.

How about a volume per month?
A month sounds good too, the two weeks was just a random suggestion.
So happy you are with us in this Walter :ubik:

Personally I might prefer a volume per 2 weeks from a reading experience standpoint, simply to keep a solid pacing as 1 volume a month seems a little too loose... but since I have no experience in participating to a group re-read and discussion I can't really share if it's actually better.

I'll wait for updates to see if this will happen or not :guts:

Maybe 1 thread per volume. If you've been here a while, you know a lot of stuff has been thoroughly dissected. That said, the power of retrospect will be interesting. Also I doubt this needs to be spoiler free, as we all know the direction it's going.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So we read the volume on that Sunday?
We’re still figuring out the structure.

To get the ball rolling on how we should do the re-read posts, here's how I approach the re-read podcasts: Every episode of Berserk moves very quickly. So I feel like my job is to slow that breakneck pace of the page-by-page storytelling and break down how each volume brings the story forward: new characters, concepts, revelations. Because each little piece is important in the big picture.

Then I like to list out moments that surprised me even after reading Berserk so many times. There's always something—nearly in every episode. And they aren't always momentous. Sometimes it's just a newfound appreciation for how exactly Miura pulled off a scene, not just explaining what occurred in it. Often, I'll notice smaller panels on the page get forgotten in lieu of the storytelling happening in the speech bubbles. And on re-reads your attention is more open to spotting those small details.

This one from Vol 24 always catches me off guard: how did I never notice it?!

Like this one little panel from Vol 24, it's just a little expositional moment as they're walking to Flora's. Perhaps because it's merely setting up the big reveal of Flora's manor, I don't think my eyes ever spent more than 2 seconds on it before the recent re-read. There are of course tons of these examples!

Maybe 1 thread per volume. If you've been here a while, you know a lot of stuff has been thoroughly dissected.
Let's see how it goes and then worry about the threaded nature of it once it has some legs on it.

Also I doubt this needs to be spoiler free, as we all know the direction it's going.
Certainly. I hope anyone browsing this forum doesn't need spoiler tags for the older volumes. That would really stymie the potential discussions.

Judo

Midlands finest
I'm in... it's been a few years since I've done a proper reread of the Manga and I'm pretty curious about how my view of certain characters and events might have changed since then.

Sorry I'm busy with exams untill the middle of the month:schierke:
we can discuss a proper starting date in the chat and decide togheter
I wish you a good result and hope the activity can be held smoothly. I think we can meet in the middle by making the joint reading period two weeks and then extending the discussion period to one month. Because people are reading at different paces, and they don't worry about being revealed for the second time. Those who read comics slowly can join in the discussion around the third week, so that by the fourth week, everyone has basically finished reading and exchanging ideas.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Also in! I started doing a reread online because I didnt want to carry my volumes at work. Itll be a good project to hold my volumes in my hands again. (Was tired of them taking place in my bag and getting damaged haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom