• So-so

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • Embarrassing

Votes: 16 14.3%

• Total voters
Walter said:
That was incredible. Thanks for doing that. Wow.

jackson_hurley said:
well then you guys should try and watch his video about the third movie! i spotted it a couple months ago when the trailer for descent got out. Good stuff I must say... :carcus:

edit : for your pleasure : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLjGqPUKXw
At least he's telling people to read the manga in the comments section. That's a plus.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
BerserkMJM said:
That was incredible. Thanks for doing that. Wow.
At least he's telling people to read the manga in the comments section. That's a plus.

Oh yeah that's for sure. The guy likes the stuff, that's allright with me. He's just a bit too excited haha :guts:

Just saw it

From far, it is better than first movie, scenario is better and drawing are more equable (I only noticed one scene with a lazy drawing )

To see Doldrey Battle this way is amazing

Of course it does not have the same charm as the previous serie, old fans will always prefer old one. But things change and I can't wait to see the third one...and to know if there will be a fourth one ...

voted "Excellent" !

GoHF

I'm a llama!
The movie was... ok. The animation is a bit weird, in that a scene can look shabby despite being strictly composed of high quality elements (the armor is usually to notch). I can't really put my finger on it, although one of the things that gets to me the most is the color fill on the characters' faces. So... bland and monochromatic.

Story-wise, it's pretty faithful to the manga, although the missing kushan horsecutter rustled my jimmies to no end, as did some other artistic liberties taken by the studio.
The voice acting is competent, the sound effects are... passable and the music is good.
Overall, it was good enough to entertain a berserk fan for a couple viewings, and likely a couple more in the future.

I guess the industry is feeling the crunch right now, but I'll be honest in saying I expected these movies to receive the kind of gloss treatment GitS2 got - although that's strictly my fault for having unfounded expectations. I just wish the character animation was less "meh" at times, and the sound department was less "did they really just recycle the same stabbing sound used in every anime since the 70's". Here's hoping the third can deliver properly on the gory side of things.

cutting original berserk content, and adding new unnecessary scenes is a slap in the face for every true berserk fan. bonfire of dreams for that cheesy, pathetic ball room scene, removing zodd and so on... disaster.

poor.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I'm beginning to wonder if the reason they cut Zodd from the Boscone fight is this: The scene of Guts and Griffiths duel from movie 2 seems to have been animated very early on, as it's final form was shown in some early on trailers. Like maybe they animated it early just to put it into trailers. Then shortly afterwards they had an "oh shit" moment when they realized that Guts' sword is supposed to break before then and he should have had a different sword in that scene. Then they were so lazy, that instead of redoing a scene that they had already completed, they just didn't include his sword breaking in the Boscone fight. I just can't think of any other reason they would substitute Zodd for a flag toss, it's the most pointless, unreasonable change they made.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KuraiDragoon said:
I'm beginning to wonder if the reason they cut Zodd from the Boscone fight is this: The scene of Guts and Griffiths duel from movie 2 seems to have been animated very early on, as it's final form was shown in some early on trailers. Like maybe they animated it early just to put it into trailers. Then shortly afterwards they had an "oh shit" moment when they realized that Guts' sword is supposed to break before then and he should have had a different sword in that scene. Then they were so lazy, that instead of redoing a scene that they had already completed, they just didn't include his sword breaking in the Boscone fight. I just can't think of any other reason they would substitute Zodd for a flag toss, it's the most pointless, unreasonable change they made.

I don't think it's plausible. They could have re-drawn the sword, and barring that, they could have used the same sword model and passed it off as Guts just having the same sword re-forged. Much less of an effort (and much less of an affront to the fans) than to come up with this awkward flag business.

A little late for the party, but I finally saw the second movie. It was good. As someone who just barely enjoyed the first one, I was actually impressed by how much they improved in this movie. The music was good (it sometimes felt out of place and was woefully generic in the first one) and the animation didn't bother me, except in the Caska flashback. (Whoever decided severely lagging video game look was a great stylistic choice ought to get flogged. ;)) The pacing was good, the atmosphere was gripping throughout, action was entertaining to watch and the bloody deaths were hilarious. It felt more tongue-in-cheek than the manga; an added dash of Army of Darkness, which worked. The movie hit most notes from the manga storywise too, despite leaving out a few great scenes.

That's the one thing that pissed me off. The bonfire of dreams, Zodd and the second assassination plot should have been there. Some of the changes they made were also urk-worthy, such as Caska falling for Adon's Look-Behind-You! trick like an imbecillic 3-year-old, or the immersion-breaking cameos by Farnese & friends.

8/10

With this, I am quite excited to see the third part soon. Here's to hoping it will be better yet. *wags feather*

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IcePuck said:
That's the one thing that pissed me off. The bonfire of dreams, Zodd and the second assassination plot should have been there. Some of the changes they made were also urk-worthy, such as Casca falling for Adon's Look-Behind-You! trick like an imbecillic 3-year-old, or the immersion-breaking cameos by Farnese & friends.

8/10
....What.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IcePuck said:
It felt more tongue-in-cheek than the manga; an added dash of Army of Darkness, which worked.

I think you just imagined that. On the contrary, I found that the movie severely lacked humor compared to the manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVvPwn45-3A

0:41 kinda reminds me of something...

From where I got this link people were saying Studio C'4 has part on this one too

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SuperVegetto said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVvPwn45-3A

0:41 kinda reminds me of something...
Similar, but I'm sure it's not the first time such a perspective has been used before.

From where I got this link people were saying Studio C'4 has part on this one too
Doesn't seem like it. It's not mentioned on their projects page, or their Anime Expo 2013 information: http://studio4c.jugem.jp/

I suppose I'll edit this later for a larger review.

I just saw this movie and I just have to say, this was the biggest turd slap in the face of all the fans of the manga and the anime.

When the Berserk Dreamcast game has better graphics (and faces) than the shitty CGI in this... well, you begin to wonder where the budget went.

The omissions are glaring, the characters aren't even the characters. This is a fanfiction rewrite of an obsessed fan who thinks they can retell it better than Kentaro. What is so fucking hard about Berserk that they waste so much of the movie on pointless melodrama and sex scenes instead of ACTUAL drama? Where are the hints of things to come? Why is Griffith painted as this unblemished prick who would abandon his military campaign to lead a search party?

This is Yaoi fangirl shit with Griffith thinking about Guts again and again with Charlotte, almost as if he's trying to fuck Guts as he leaves in his mind.

Who wrote the adaptation for this shit?

I give it the lowest score I can.

review of thew second film blu-ray release by ANN

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/berserk/the-golden-age-arc-ii/blu-ray-the-battle-for-doldrey

I can agree with lot of what is in here one thing I noticed though was that the author mentions an outtake real. This was not present as far as I can remember on the DVD I received in the mail if anybody ordered the blu-ray can they confirm or deny the existence of this outtake real

Deci

Did anyone else notice how quiet the voices are in the dubbed version? I found that technically frustrating. Like in a lot of big blockbuster action movies, they want you to have to turn the volume way up to hear the dialogue so that when the action hits it's deafening. Ugh.

I'm really just posting this out of boredom and frustration, because after I received the Viz first-print edition in the mail and tried to watch it dubbed for the first time, it honestly couldn't hold my attention all the way to the end. I forced myself to watch up to the ball scene, because I had a sneaking suspicion they combined some of the dialogue between Casca and Guts from the Bonfire of Dreams into their conversation on the balcony outside the ball. That was all I was really hoping for, and they didn't deliver as far as I could tell.

Enjoyed it more in Japanese with no subtitles so I could pretend they were at least mashing scenes together and more of the story was being told than was being shown. I was wrong of course.

As a side note, a friend was in the other room when I went to put it in for a second time for another friend of mine. I mean it's Berserk I figure, and if you've read the manga and seen the '97 TV series, it's debatabley worth a watch for that reason I guess. The friend in the other room who hadn't read the manga or watched the series just casually said, "Eh, I saw the first one."

I think that attitude sums of this Trilogy pretty well. Disappointingly non interested.

with no subtitles so I could pretend they were at least mashing scenes together and more of the story was being told than was being shown.
Thats basically how I´ve been watching all of them. Its probably the way to go in order to get the least disappointed.

Selwyn

"I'm frozen to the bone, I am."
A bit of a necropost, but what the hell. I really enjoyed the second 'Golden Age Arc' -movie, mainly because the scenes like "Guts vs. 100 soldiers" and the battle with Boscogne. It's strange how it didn't bother me that Zodd never appeared during the fight, like he did in the original TV-series. It worked out just fine, in my opinion. :guts:

Selwyn said:
A bit of a necropost, but what the hell. I really enjoyed the second 'Golden Age Arc' -movie, mainly because the scenes like "Guts vs. 100 soldiers" and the battle with Boscogne. It's strange how it didn't bother me that Zodd never appeared during the fight, like he did in the original TV-series. It worked out just fine, in my opinion. :guts:

Nevertheless, what was the point of that revision? Apologists for the trilogy like to play the time/budget card when defending these movies. They don't have time to show Zodd throwing his sword to Guts but they can shove in a pointless Farnese/Serpico cameo and CGI ballroom dance? No, this was a change purely for the sake of it.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Doc said:
Nevertheless, what was the point of that revision? Apologists for the trilogy like to play the time/budget card when defending these movies. They don't have time to show Zodd throwing his sword to Guts but they can shove in a pointless Farnese/Serpico cameo and CGI ballroom dance? No, this was a change purely for the sake of it.
I agree. When I actually watched the movie, the scene didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The thing about it that bothered me the most was how completely pointless it was, and how much better it would have been if they had stayed true. They made it worse for absolutely no reason. Can't get over that.

ApostleBob said:
What makes it especially worse is how random and inelegant the change is. How throwing a flag saved the day is beyond me.

And as already highlighted on here, it makes Guts look less of a warrior.

you know what I am surprised no one mentioned, the fact that when Casca was ordered by Griffith to lay naked with Guts that she was still there lying naked next to him when he woke up, and then without a single care for her state she gets up in front of him, totally naked, for him to see and casually dresses in front of him. AS IF SHE DID NOT CARE IF HE SAW HER LIKE THAT!

And then in the second movie she punches Guts in the face over seeing her naked! It kind of makes her reaction seem all the more ridiculous since (in this version) she didn't seem to care before.

Everything else I think everyone else covered pretty much. Especially that review by Aaz, good job! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think Casca was more pissed that Guts undressed her while out cold then that he saw her naked, but I agree that it was weird that she did not mind Guts seeing her naked in the first movie. The whole thing just seemed off.

I might be in the minority but I liked how this movie toned down just how much of a bitch Casca is to Guts. I always found her combatively to Guts after he just helped her and soothed her through the night with a fever really annoying. Her passing out instead of struggling with Guts was a welcome change. Same with the removal of the tough talk Guts uses to keep Casca going when she collapses. I always found Casca's bravado insincere.

The ball room scene was weird. The last thing you would expect Casca or Guts to do is join in dancing. Just no. If anything I could see them standing back and making fun of the high class dancers, but not joining in.

Top Bottom