Votes: 25 22.3%
  • Embarrassing

Votes: 16 14.3%

• Total voters

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heavenly Maiden said:
I might be in the minority but I liked how this movie toned down just how much of a bitch Casca is to Guts. I always found her combatively to Guts after he just helped her and soothed her through the night with a fever really annoying.

Well given the situation (and her feelings, probably being ashamed), their history together prior to that and the fact she was still feverish and so not necessarily thinking super clearly, it makes sense that she'd react like that.

Heavenly Maiden said:
Her passing out instead of struggling with Guts was a welcome change. Same with the removal of the tough talk Guts uses to keep Casca going when she collapses. I always found Casca's bravado insincere.

Was it though? It makes her look weak when she isn't. And her struggling is just how she is as a character.

Aazealh said:
Well given the situation (and her feelings, probably being ashamed), their history together prior to that and the fact she was still feverish and so not necessarily thinking super clearly, it makes sense that she'd react like that.

not me I thought she came off as completely ungrateful. Like if anyone other than guts had stripped her and taken care of her she would not have been combative . SHe even says her self in the both the manga and the movie that she would have preferred anyone else to help her other then him. That means means Corkus could have stripped her down and he would have gotten a less hostile reaction from her. Of all the things about Casca's attitude that has always bugged , it is how ungrateful she always comes off toward Guts and the things he does her her, and that has not changed even the current story line.

Was it though? It makes her look weak when she isn't. And her struggling is just how she is as a character.

I do miss her struggling with her assailants and I agree that her getting captured so easily made her look like less of a fighter, what I was talking about was the scene is the manga where Casca collapses and Guts tough guy talks her into keeping going by calling her weak. I know alot of fans eat that scene up but it always made me roll my eyes at Casca. I guess I am looking at this from someone who knows where she will eventually end up, so it makes her her bravado come off insincere to me in light of that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heavenly Maiden said:
not me I thought she came off as completely ungrateful. Like if anyone other than guts had stripped her and taken care of her she would not have been combative . SHe even says her self in the both the manga and the movie that she would have preferred anyone else to help her other then him.

Well yeah, like I said their history together played a role, but I think you're exaggerating on how ungrateful she was. She reacted strongly upon waking up, but that passed and then she confided to Guts, told him her life story and really opened her heart to him. And in the end, when it came to fleeing while leaving him to fight countless opponents, she just wouldn't do it. And she ran back to him despite her condition once she reached the rescue party, with her beaming smile as she found him alive practically unequalled in the story as far as cheer joy goes.

Heavenly Maiden said:
That means means Corkus could have stripped her down and he would have gotten a less hostile reaction from her.

Nah, you're unfair. You know it's not true. Besides, half of that scene is comical in nature.

Heavenly Maiden said:
Of all the things about Casca's attitude that has always bugged , it is how ungrateful she always comes off toward Guts and the things he does her her, and that has not changed even the current story line.

Now you're just completely unfair. Casca and Guts had problems early on, and then they became lovers. The actual part of the story where she resented him is really not that long, and comprised in less scenes than you seem to think. Besides, Casca's also done a lot of things for Guts, and she's still by far the most important person to him. As for her current state, she's not really herself, and she's 1) generally afraid of men because she was raped 2) currently afraid of Guts because he brutalized her twice in volume 23.

Heavenly Maiden said:
I do miss her struggling with her assailants and I agree that her getting captured so easily made her look like less of a fighter, what I was talking about was the scene is the manga where Casca collapses and Guts tough guy talks her into keeping going by calling her weak. I know alot of fans eat that scene up but it always made me roll my eyes at Casca. I guess I am looking at this from someone who knows where she will eventually end up, so it makes her her bravado come off insincere to me in light of that.

What bravado? He talks tough, and she toughens up (i.e. gets up and walks). I don't get your problem with this scene honestly. What would you have preferred her to do? Lie down and stop moving?

As for her current state, she's not really herself, and she's 1) generally afraid of men because she was raped 2) currently afraid of Guts because he brutalized her twice in volume 23

I marvel on how many fans seem to forget this. So many people love saying how ungrateful Casca is as proof that she sucks and doesn't deserve Guts when she actually has a justifiable reason to have an aversion to him.
I know alot of fans eat that scene up but it always made me roll my eyes at Casca. I guess I am looking at this from someone who knows where she will eventually end up, so it makes her her bravado come off insincere to me in light of that.

I am one of those fans that ate up this scene and I am miffed it got taken out of the movie, it was a real turning point that showed that Guts was softening toward Casca and starting to admire her grit. Did you think it was sexist or something? i have heard people bitch about that, and I disagree. So yeah...what was "insincere" about her "bravado" can you explain your self please?

I noticed alot iof people seemed to have an issue with the dancing scene in the movie where Guts and Casca dance after the King toasts them. It seemed sweet to me and seemed to add that they had developed some rapport with each other. Is because it was added in place of the Griffith assasination plot? I saw some commnetators mention how they thought it out of character for Gutys and Casca to dance. I know that in the mnaga no dancing happens because Griffith gets "killed" but had nothing terriable happened at the ball wouldn't have Guts and Casca spent more time with each other and perhaps danced? I don't see why this bothers some poeple on here when I thought is was cute.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hot Chic said:
I noticed alot iof people seemed to have an issue with the dancing scene in the movie where Guts and Casca dance after the King toasts them. It seemed sweet to me and seemed to add that they had developed some rapport with each other. Is because it was added in place of the Griffith assasination plot? I saw some commnetators mention how they thought it out of character for Gutys and Casca to dance. I know that in the mnaga no dancing happens because Griffith gets "killed" but had nothing terriable happened at the ball wouldn't have Guts and Casca spent more time with each other and perhaps danced? I don't see why this bothers some poeple on here when I thought is was cute.

That movie scene is completely unlike the characters, as evidenced by the fact they both voice their dislike of the ball and find solace in escaping it together on the balcony. That is supposed to be their sweet time. Besides, they were not exactly quite comfortable enough with each other at that point to dance in such a fashion. I'm afraid that not seeing how it betrays the manga only serves to underline the holes in your understanding of the characters. Here, let me quote you my own review of the movie:

Aazealh said:
Then comes the dance scene. Some pretty weird dancing moves shown there. Also, the emphasis on a single flute for the music doesn't seem to fit what would be playing at a royal ball to me. Anyways, Casca sees Charlotte talking to Griffith (which apparently neither the king nor the queen mind at all) and is jealous. Then Guts comes back and makes a hilariously grotesque face (not kidding, it cracks me up), and they dance together. Notice the extremely dumbed-down relationships between the characters here. The 3D during the dance scene bothers me several times. Of course the faces as always, but also the bodies themselves sometimes, and how they move and are animated.

Anyway, seeing Casca and Guts dance together is very cute. Heart-warming and all (though at some point Guts seems to be talking from the way his lips move, only there's no dialogue). But the problem I have with it is that it's fan-fiction. It's not faithful in any way whatsoever to the characters, in fact it's almost a betrayal of their personalities.

Oh and on a side note, could you please make an effort with spelling in your posts? I'd really appreciate it.

Top Bottom