Berserk manga released in Argentina

Hi all!

Panini Comics has released Berserk vol. 1 in Argentina. I just bought mine and I wanted to show you what it looks like.

We've been waiting for a while to get a local version, and I have to say I'm quite glad with the quality of the volume (compared to other manga available here)

Volume:
This edition has a Dust Cover with Guts on the front and The Brand on the back and the volume cover itself is the double page spread of Guts fighting the skeletons (with a red duotone filter)

Some pictures:
bj8fOja.jpg
SoOCG4O.jpg
FkowOXm.jpg
1AfdfjQ.jpg

Translation:
I was afraid they wouldn't do a good job, but overall everything looks in order. Names have their correct roman letters (except maybe Kentaro instead of Kentarō) and I think they found a good middle ground between neutral spanish and "argentinian spanish", which is a nice touch.

Price:
The price is quite good! $280 ARS, with as of today equals $6.3 USD (but this will of course change, taking into account our economy)

Vs. DarkHorse:
Size and quality of paper/ink is better in the DS edition. Dust Cover and Cover art are better in this edition, IMHO.

Let me know if you wish to know anything else.

See ya!

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Nice ! And what does the spine look like? Curious to know how this edition would look on a shelf.

(I guess that's another edition to add to your wishlist jackson_hurley! :ganishka:)
Damnit! I'll never be done with this project! It really is a superb edition from the look of it. Shall I work on that one? Since it just started, it wont ruin me quickly! :slan:

Wow, that looks fantastic! Is this strictly a black and white printed release or are there color pages? Just curious.
Yup, black and white all the way.
Here's a photo of a "regular page" (left) and "color page" (right):
GlWAxMC.jpg

Finally! Where did you buy it? I'm from Argentina too, papá!
That's awesome, titán! I bought it at a comic store here in Santa Fe.

$280 is pretty cheap!
It is, isn't it? Dark Horse's are around $600 in bookdepository (free shipping). Let's hope they stay below $300 for as long as possible:shrug:

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
That's awesome, titán! I bought it at a comic store here in Santa Fe.

It is, isn't it? Dark Horse's are around $600 in bookdepository (free shipping). Let's hope they stays below $300 for as long as possible:shrug:

I hope I can find it in Capital Federal, and I hope it hangs around in that price too. Now my life has meaning, I MUST have ALL OF IT.

Yup, black and white all the way.
Here's a photo of a "regular page" (left) and "color page" (right):
GlWAxMC.jpg

Fair enough. Looks great regardless! I occasionally buy foreign manga releases of some of the series I like (recently bought a few of Spain's Dragon Ball Full Color releases). Maybe in the future I'll pick one of these up. Thanks for the info!

Wow these look great, specially a fan of the duotone cover. :isidro: It's a shame that the colored pages are in the typical black and white but oh well. Can only hope it gets released where I am from as well so more people can enjoy it too

Hey guys, I have a question.

At the end of the first episode of the first volume "The Black Swordsman", Pucks says something as he sees Guts walking away from the battle with the Snake Baron.

Dark Horse translation: "Berserk..."
Panini Comics Argentina translation: "Un guerrero cruel..." (which translates to "A cruel warrior...")

If anyone has the original version of this episode, could you please tell me what does Puck say in Japanese?

I mean, does he actually say "ベルセルク..." ? Or were DH guys just trying to print the title of the manga in the first episode because they thought it was cool?

Thanks!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
At the end of the first episode of the first volume "The Black Swordsman", Pucks says something as he sees Guts walking away from the battle with the Snake Baron.

Dark Horse translation: "Berserk..."
Panini Comics Argentina translation: "Un guerrero cruel..." (which translates to "A cruel warrior...")

If anyone has the original version of this episode, could you please tell me what does Puck say in Japanese?

I mean, does he actually say "ベルセルク..." ? Or were DH guys just trying to print the title of the manga in the first episode because they thought it was cool?

Hi Arles,

Puck says "...狂戦士..." with "ベルセルク" added as furigana to indicate how it should be pronounced. So yes, "...berserk..." is the proper translation for that line. You should know that in English, while it's not the most common form for it, "berserk" can be used as a noun in addition to being an adjective. For example: "he's a berserk". It's interchangeable with "berserker". That is how Miura uses the word in the manga. That's also why we say "the Berserk's Armor".

Puck-Berserk.jpg

Regarding the Argentinian edition, "...un guerrero cruel..." is a mistranslation. It's not at all what the line (the word "berserk") means.

A shame Panini added their own spin to the translation, since a)it was already spelled out for them with furigana in the source material and b)it's such an emblematic moment.

Thanks for the answer!

Panini announced they will be reprinting the first volumes of Berserk here in Argentina.

I got in touch with them and asked if these reprints would feature fixes to the mistranslations we discussed previously in this thread.

After some back and forth chatting with their CM, I was happy to get confirmation that Puck's line would be corrected in this version, among other things.

I guess I will be buying the second edition, after all :shrug:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
After some back and forth chatting with their CM, I was happy to get confirmation that Puck's line would be corrected in this version, among other things.

Cool! Unfortunately, translating manga isn't a well-paying job, and publishers tend to get what they pay for. Pretty sad that it's up to the readers to speak up about such mistakes.

Cool! Unfortunately, translating manga isn't a well-paying job, and publishers tend to get what they pay for. Pretty sad that it's up to the readers to speak up about such mistakes.
Yup, but this time they actually listened!

Today I went and bought the reprints, and sure enough they fixed several mistranslations in volumes 1 and 3.

One fix that I was particularly interested about is in volume 3, where they mistranslated "Causality" as "Chance/Coincidence". You see, in Spanish Causality->Causalidad and Chance/Coincidence->Casualidad. I'm sure you notice those two are very similar words, but their meaning is actually opposite to one another.

Anyway, I'm upset I had to buy the volumes again, but at the same time I'm glad they took the effort to fix their mistakes and reprint a revised version.

Last edited:
Hi all!!

This is my first post on a thread. I'm new around here. @Arles and @Fancypantaloons I'm from Argentina too! It's great to meet other Berserk fans from Argentina and all over the world.

I started collecting the manga recently. My first purchases were volumes 3, 4 and 5, in the Panini Manga Argentina edition. As far as it seems to me, the price is still affordable (and that's a very good thing). Although the Argentinian edition seems really good to me in terms of price and presentation, my main problem is with the translation (I don't know if our Argentinian informal expressions are the most suitable for a dark medieval fantasy setting). Many people are more tolerant with this issue of translation, but for me it kills the mood. For that reason I've even thought about switching to Dark Horse (although that would mean buying online, since I don't live in Capital or anywhere near). Another option could be the editions of EDT/Glénat. Legend has it that EDT's volumes contain the best Berserk translation made in Spanish. The only way to check is to buy both editions. Finally, a last option could be the Maximum Berserk editions (if I'm not mistaken, I think the publisher of the Maximum volumes is Panini Manga España), but this last alternative may be the most expensive.

Anyway, I currently don't know whether to finish my collection in the Panini Manga Argentina edition or try another option. What would you recommend me?

I wish you all a happy new year!

Hi Talo, nice to meet you!

Anyway, I currently don't know whether to finish my collection in the Panini Manga Argentina edition or try another option. What would you recommend me?
I started buying Dark Horse's version through bookdepository (free shipping, no customs shenanigans, door-to-door delivery). I got volumes 1-14 this way and switched to the local edition as soon as it released. As I said in the OP, DH's paper and ink are better, and the language sounds a little more neutral than in our local version. That being said, DH has its own sets of problems with inaccurate translations, so you shouldn't expect a perfect experience in that regard if you make the jump.

In the end, it's up to you. I made the switch to the local version for 2 main reasons:
-To support local publishers (I know Panini is from Italy, but they work through SD Distribuciones S.A. here)
-The local edition is waaaaaay cheaper than importing it from overseas.

Good luck!

Hi Talo, nice to meet you!

I started buying Dark Horse's version through bookdepository (free shipping, no customs shenanigans, door-to-door delivery). I got volumes 1-14 this way and switched to the local edition as soon as it released. As I said in the OP, DH's paper and ink are better, and the language sounds a little more neutral than in our local version. That being said, DH has its own sets of problems with inaccurate translations, so you shouldn't expect a perfect experience in that regard if you make the jump.

In the end, it's up to you. I made the switch to the local version for 2 main reasons:
-To support local publishers (I know Panini is from Italy, but they work through SD Distribuciones S.A. here)
-The local edition is waaaaaay cheaper than importing it from overseas.

Good luck!
Thank you for the answer! It seems that the best option is the Argentinian edition (I'll give Panini a second chance).

Cheers!

Top Bottom