Berserk Musou (PS3, PS4, PC)

Demon Knight said:
I found it funny because schierke seemes to be happy riding that possessed (so-called by people rape) horse.

When a trend begins, most of people follow like sheeps, regardless of how dumb the thing is, just like the "boat", instead of Sea Horse.

Anyway, i'm happy this game is coming for PC too. I would have preferred a Berserk game with its own mechanics instead of a Musou, as Aaz said in the end this is just like the previous Musou games but with Berserk skin. But oh well, it's still Berserk.

This is not exactly Berserk skin thing, it does have different in terms of gameplay such as items and each character have their own items. I don't think this happened before for a Musou game. Unless in Fist of the North Star had it.

The combat of Guts is pretty good, if it only has counters like PS2.

The PS2 gameplay (to me) was a bit boring, but the boss fight was great.
The reason why PS2 gameplay was a bit boring is because the enemies follow you wherever you go and there is no end to them, and you only mash square over and over again. Triangle with fnisher or charge attack

Delta Phi said:
Koei Techmo are a bunch of trolls. :schierke:

Using Casca's rape in promotion of the game, making post-rape Casca into a sexy pre-order bonus, and DLC to use the horse that tried to murder-rape Farnese are all very tasteless. Feels like decisions from people that don't have much reverence for the source material.

Been playing a good amount of this, I imported and don't know Japanese at all really, but as far as I can tell it is fairly true to the manga, even moreso than any anime adaptation, PS2 game still has it beat imo(that one is a real love letter :ubik: )

It plays exactly like you would expect it to, those of you familiar with Dynasty Warrior series or *insert franchise here* Warriors should feel right at home. I have only played as Guts, Serpico, and Wyald so far and they are all incredibly fun to play. Their movesets are a lot more true to manga panels than the trailers would have you think(that's another thing, none of the promotional material for this game does it justice)

Guts especially moves exactly how he is depicted moving in the earlier chapters where he's portrayed as Black Swordsman, sweeping his legs around slamming the Dragonslayer down with great force. If you analyze frame by frame you really can appreciate how much detail they put into his leg movements while fighting.
Only real downside are the boss fights, trailers make it look like Dark Souls but it is slightly more mindless than that, a lot like Warriors series only you're fighting giant monsters. Sometimes the camera can get stuck on things(this especially happened during the Thief Lord / Snake Baron fight)
One on One fights with say griffith or the leader of the purple rhino knights, or smaller fights with kushan are a lot more fun.

Might be spoilers here, so be weary:
Game starts with the first couple fights where a young merc Guts finds the band, Bazuso fight is a real fun time but things don't really pick up until you become black swordsman. You get a weird dream sequence(?) at the start where you're BS Guts in the eclipse, it's somewhat odd and nowhere near as difficult as the real thing. Guts also wears a feather when he's Raider captain, which I don't believe was present in the manga. He loses it as soon as you fight Griffith. Femto fight is a real drag and you only have to land a couple special attacks on him to "win"
The first few fights after the Eclipse are a real treat, one when Skull Knight lets you fight spirits with his sword, and another where you're in a flashback as young Guts. Sadly the apostle fight at Godo's didn't make it in, I was really hoping to see Guts grab that Dragonslayer and use it for the first time. You get a real feel for the story, there were very few points where I felt lost even though my understanding of Japanese begins and ends with "sumimasen" and that speaks volumes about how true it is to the manga. Another thing that bothered me was the fact that you got two horses during the Farnese escape sequence, it was as if they were too lazy to model or script a custom horse with her on it just for that sequence. I will update as I play more, I am just getting to the Conviction arc and so far everything is just as I imagined.
End spoilers

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ressha said:
PS2 game still has it beat imo(that one is a real love letter :ubik: )

The PS2 game was hardly a love letter to Berserk. It was simply a competent game tailored to the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Demon Knight said:
I would like to see a Berserk game like Guts' rage. A side (non canon story) with other weapons. Making it like DMC style

A game featuring a side-story (canon or not) would be the ideal scenario. Alas, it requires much more funds (and involvement from Miura) than a simple reskinning like this Musou game.

Aazealh said:
The PS2 game was hardly a love letter to Berserk. It was simply a competent game tailored to the series.
The gameplay was Nothing special, but the ost and attention to details during cutscenes made it much better, I think both games are good, we haven't had the perfect Berserk game so far

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
__Bonfire__ said:
The gameplay was Nothing special, but the ost and attention to details during cutscenes made it much better, I think both games are good, we haven't had the perfect Berserk game so far

The cutscenes weren't anything special either, and they butchered the story for the sake of streamlining the game. Again, they were competent, and made for a decent game, but they didn't stand out for their quality at the time. As for the music, Sign is great, but other than that? Meh. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed playing that game, but I think people tend to give it too much credit these days.

As for the music, Sign is great, but other than that? Meh. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed playing that game, but I think people tend to give it too much credit these days.
I totally agree with this.

tbh Berserk Musou has better ''moveset'' than the PS2 game, even the Berserker armor Guts is done better than the PS2 game.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
I watched a fair bit of the game last week and it´s about what i expected, but you could see that it is a cut bove some of the Musou spin-offs. Gameplay and presentation wise.
A strong focus the GA, filler battles (!), not enough characters, the (expected) hardcore censorship and a ridiculous focus on Guts are the noticeable flaws.
The game could use more involved cutscenes too (Pirate Warriors 3 has a very impressive presentation for example) but the ones features are very well done. They made me feel real emotions and stuff...
The voice acting is also heads above the last anime projects, as the carried over VAs received proper direction, and the impressive soundtrack is what i liked the most. Well done audio team!

I will skip this version due to the lack of variety but will definitely get a re-release or sequel. The way Fist of the North Star 2 and One Piece 3 were done should serve as the blueprint. It took FotNS 2 years to go "Shin Musou" and i hope that it will be a "real" PS4 game too and not an "up-res".
This is lastly the best and most faithful adaption since 2004. So let´s keep pursuing the games rout.

PS: Why is the Vita missing in the tread headline ?

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
The Vita outsold and outlived the WiiU (both are good consoles). The port looks very well done too. I would have fully bough this 1st game if the Vita version got a boxed release (i resell all my games after finishing them) and i now consider getting the Vita version of Pirate Warriors 3, as the demo of Hyrule Warriors 3DS proved to be the technical mess the reviewers said. Grinding has a certain appeal while watching tv or sitting in train after all.

Learning that Berserk Musou has (sensible) PS4 Pro support also suggest to me that this hardware upgrade will succeed. If what boils down to a PS3 port, based on a "random license" no less, can properly utilize it, then anyone else can too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
residentgrigo said:
The Vita outsold and outlived the WiiU (both are good consoles)

The worst-selling major handheld of the past decade outsold the worst-selling major console of the past decade? I'm floored. :schierke:

Walter said:
The worst-selling major handheld of the past decade outsold the worst-selling major console of the past decade? I'm floored. :schierke:

I was actually just thinking that. I haven't owned a non-Nintendo handheld...ever. And I have never felt like I was missing out on any of them to be honest.
I do recall wanting a PSP when they first came out, but I was 11 at the time and just wanted to be edgy...despite wanting it, I don't regret never owning one. :slan:

I've actually just bought PS Vita for this game. =) The most enjoyable things are the cut-scenes so far, voice acting and music are also pretty good. I wish could speak Japanese though. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
residentgrigo said:
A strong focus the GA, filler battles (!), not enough characters, the (expected) hardcore censorship and a ridiculous focus on Guts are the noticeable flaws.

A Berserk game that focuses on Guts? Outrageous! :schierke:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
So. Spent a fair amount of time with the game, and mostly played as Guts. Gotta say, the Berserk armor is incredibly fun to play as. Guts feels like a powerhouse, but his swings are easy to interrupt, so he is susceptible to damage from high level enemies. However, when you transform, oh man, it captures the power of the armor so well. The move set is very limited, but you can cut through previously challenging areas like butter.

Here is a bit of footage I captured a week or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuqOHl5qyAM

As powerful as Guts feels, from what I've played, Serpico and Shierke might be even more broken. :beast:

pre-order bonus for buying at EB games in Canada(don't know if its the same at gamestop in the US probably is) six dlc costumes 2 for guts 2 for griffith and 2 for shierke but no wet clothes casca

https://www.ebgames.ca/Platform/Games/726683

interesting mod I would like to think if this is possible then dlc making these or other characters accessible is not out of the question

https://youtu.be/NPdv5hCX2gU

Uriel said:
So. Spent a fair amount of time with the game, and mostly played as Guts. Gotta say, the Berserk armor is incredibly fun to play as. Guts feels like a powerhouse, but his swings are easy to interrupt, so he is susceptible to damage from high level enemies. However, when you transform, oh man, it captures the power of the armor so well. The move set is very limited, but you can cut through previously challenging areas like butter.

Here is a bit of footage I captured a week or so ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuqOHl5qyAM

As powerful as Guts feels, from what I've played, Serpico and Schierke might be even more broken. :beast:
Hey, man, can you help me out? I beat the game and now I can only replay the levels as young Guts, I cannot choose costumes or anything. Also, how do I unlock Femto? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom