Berserk: The Flame Dragon Knight novel

Grail

Feel the funk blast
You raise a good point. I should post a version of this on Amazon.
By all means! If I were you, I'd post it all over the place. My worry is that casual Berserk fans will pick up the novel at a local bookstore thinking, "hey, I can read this while I wait on the next volume!" It's time to get the word out. :daiba:

I want to believe in this so hard.
This theory sound plausible to me too, but is also kind of bittersweet -- imagine Miura spending hours on all these illustrations and notes for Fukami, only to see what the end product turned out to be? :magni:

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
This theory sound plausible to me too, but is also kind of bittersweet -- imagine Miura spending hours on all these illustrations and notes for Fukami, only to see what the end product turned out to be? :magni:
Better than the opposite scenario at this point.

Wenliinvictus

Without a fairy, you're not even a real man.
I fail to see the point of giving Grunbeld's Warhammer a legendary backstory, it gets destroyed and replaced with a new one without a second thought. Unless the new spikier one is also a super duper legendary artefact.

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
I fail to see the point of giving Grunbeld's Warhammer a legendary backstory, it gets destroyed and replaced with a new one without a second thought. Unless the new spikier one is also a super duper legendary artefact.
The hammer Grunbeld wields in the novel isn't the same as the one he carries when he first appears in the manga. Same thing than for his shield and armor.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
They couldn't get someone else to write this? R Scott Bakker? Steven Erickson? RA Salvatore? How about the guy who wrote Jojo? Go Nagai? CLAMP? Anyone? Bueller?

I guess he was the least expensive option. :/

What a piece of shit. Bad animes, bad games, bad statues, bad toys, those are one thing. They're just crappy products that can be safely ignored and forgotten once their time has passed. But with the way that this thing is claiming to be part of the official canon of Berserk, even as it goes around shitting all over it, this might very well be the worst thing to happen to this franchise. Still keeping my fingers crossed that Miura will retcon it out, because until he does that, I fear this will have rippling effects on the manga.

I sure hope you're correct about your analysis about the pictures, Walter. Because hope...IS ALL THAT I HAVE! :judo:

I myself also just got through this dumpster fire of a licensed fanfic, and I wholeheartedly concur with your analysis, Walter. Misery loves company, eh? That said, for the sake of...the sake, I want to point out one or two things I liked.

• The scene of Grundbeld & Co strategizing against fighting a tiger, gladiator-style was....kinda fun? It was no Griffith-level planning, and it was buried under horrific prose like the rest of the story, but there was an iota of creativity involved.
  • The idea of the Shadow Hand/discount Bakiraka was intriguing? The description of their gear made me want to see Miura artwork of them, so that's something. I don't know, I'm a sucker for world-building.
  • I liked mooost scenes with Benedikte? Other than towards the end where it's apparent Fukami has no idea how Behelits work. If there's anything of this that Miura decides to fully canonize in the manga, I'd imagine it would be her.
  • Of course, it goes without saying, the best part of this novel, the only reason it shouldn't be part of a modern-day book burning, is Miura's fantastic artwork
Other than that, Walter said it better than I could. At first, I was hoping it was just a crummy translation job, but the dialogue is legitimately that cringey and stiff, the pacing is atrociously inconsistent, and it all...just. Uuugh. It's been a long time since a book gave me that much of a headache. Here's hoping it's the last of it's kind.

Edit: also, wait a minute, wait a minute. Walter, maybe you can clear something up for me, make sure I'm not crazy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen an entire, successful sacrifice outside of Griffith's, which was a special occasion. The closest would be the Count almost sacrificing his daughter in the Black Swordsman Arc. I always assumed that if he had gone through with it, Theresia would just be consumed by the vortex of souls. But in the case of Grundbeld, we have no vortex of souls--and unlike Griffith, there aren't other apostles to do the sacrifice-slaughtering. So is it standard operating procedure for the newly-christened apostles to kill their sacrifices themselves, or is that another in the long list of fuck-ups in this novel?

Last edited:

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen an entire, successful sacrifice outside of Griffith's, which was a special occasion.
You're wrong.

Anyway, the problem with how the sacrifice is depicted in the novel is that the people being sacrificed aren't actually summoned alongside Grunbeld, as Walter pointed out. The Brand isn't supposed to be some scar that shows up out of nowhere. It's something Void applies himself. Also, Fukami depicts the God Hand asking Grunbeld to sacrifice two women (one he loves, and another one that's just a friend, which is already odd) but then there's a surprise third that apparently the people who perform the ceremony hadn't anticipated. This makes no sense at all and is just not how these ceremonies are explained in the manga.

The only silver-lining, that I can think of, regarding this novel is the absolute respect and belief that Miura has as an artist and a person by this community. Not a single person even tried to insinuate that the existence of this novel shows that Miura sold out. Just writing this senate makes me angry and sick to my stomach. I've never meet Miura nor have I seen or read that much about his person, but I have 100% belief that such a thing is beyond impossible. And I'm sure most of you would feel the same way.

If you think about it, if this was most other franchises, the author selling out would be one of the first things to suspect. But since it's Berserk and Miura, no one in their right mind considers it, and rightly so. I'm certain that Miura had no final say in the matter because of a contract. Most project like this are done by getting a license, but the content of the novel and its quality might be left to the new author. It all depends on the contract. Who knows. :shrug:

It's just sad to have the names of Berserk and Miura be associated with such low-level writing. It's just a glorified fan-fiction, and nothing more.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
  • The scene of Grundbeld & Co strategizing against fighting a tiger, gladiator-style was....kinda fun? It was no Griffith-level planning, and it was buried under horrific prose like the rest of the story, but there was an iota of creativity involved.
Yes this was one of the highlights, because it involved some actual quick thinking, and the table-turning moment when Grunbeld discovers he can actually wield the war hammer that was placed there as a taunt by Tudor. That all felt good. What wasn't great was the whole scenario leading to that moment.

Grunbeld, a captive of Tudor forces, had already outright killed a Tudor knight in a sparring match (not a duel), and despite the Tudor guys having killed a guy just for having diarrhea earlier in the novel (not a joke), they don't publicly slaughter Grunbeld. Instead, they just think Grunbeld is cool. But then, arbitrarily, the Tudor guys come to realize, "hey this guy's actually a threat." And they decide not to make him disappear and obscure his quiet death in a chamber somewhere, but to don their Bond Villain cap and push him into a gladiatorial arena, import a fucking tiger from Kushan territories, give he and his comrades an opportunity to plan, AND place a war hammer within reach. Of course, the plan falls to pieces in moments, the war hammer bashes in the tiger's skull, and moments later the place gets raided by Grant soldiers.

Other than that, Walter said it better than I could. At first, I was hoping it was just a crummy translation job, but the dialogue is legitimately that cringey and stiff, the pacing is atrociously inconsistent, and it all...just. Uuugh.
Yeah, it's not as if the beauty of the book was lost in translation or something. The book didn't set Japanese fans on fire either. We immediately heard sharp criticisms about it upon its release, and other members here had read it as well, and hated it.

I always assumed that if he had gone through with it, Theresia would just be consumed by the vortex of souls. But in the case of Grundbeld, we have no vortex of souls--and unlike Griffith, there aren't other apostles to do the sacrifice-slaughtering. So is it standard operating procedure for the newly-christened apostles to kill their sacrifices themselves, or is that another in the long list of fuck-ups in this novel?
The book drops the ball on this one too, because it's not explicitly stated what happens to Benedikte and Sigur. Here's the key passage:

"As for Benedikte and Sigur, they didn't try to escape. Sigur pulled the dying Benedikte into an embrace. They both calmly looked up at the giant fire dragon, like they were peacefully accepting their fate. Perhaps they were fully aware that this dragon was Grunbeld.

Benedikte, Sigur. Both of you, live on within me. The two of them vanished within a wave of hellfire."
So... huh? I know what hellfire is in the context of Berserk (karmic fire), but it doesn't KILL people or make them VANISH. So did Grunbeld burn them with his dragon breath? Nope, not that either. Because a few paragraphs after this one, the book explains how he discovers he even had dragon breath when he feels a sensation in his chest, and "clucked his tongue and activated his internal flame-generating organ." :ganishka:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
So... huh? I know what hellfire is in the context of Berserk (karmic fire), but it doesn't KILL people or make them VANISH. So did Grunbeld burn them with his dragon breath? Nope, not that either. Because a few paragraphs after this one, the book explains how he discovers he even had dragon breath when he feels a sensation in his chest, and "clucked his tongue and activated his internal flame-generating organ." :ganishka:
Only way I can figure that one out is a bad metaphor for them to be drag by the vortex. A very bad one if it's one at all.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Yeah naturally it's the only thing it could be referring to, but how is that "a wave of hellfire" ???
Like I said, a very bad metaphor. The wave being the ocean of souls and the hellfire prolly being eaten or dragged off or wtv by said souls... I dunno to be honest haha thats the most clever thing I can come up with for this mess of a work. :ganishka:

I just read Walter's review on the novel.

What a joke. Something like Berserk to be thrown to carelessly to some incompetent person. I also agree with Walter's hypothesis on why it even released in the first place. I had considered purchasing it -- but no, I've supported the series is a more than fair amount (though not as much as some people here). In my own way, me not purchasing this book is supporting Berserk. Sorry, Miura. I appreciate the art as always -- but I don't even have any interest in reading it for free.

Top Bottom