Black Swordsman armor upgrade?

Ahmetal

God hand help us
I’m curious about the upgraded outfit that Guts appears with in the beginning of The Black Swordsman, Once More, when he meets Jill. The gear on his torso has been changed and armor was added to his legs. The last time we saw Guts before this little upgrade, he was leaving casca behind and Godot’s cave at the end of He Who Hunts Dragons. Actually, I realize after he leaves Godot’s cave for the first time he proceeds to encounter the snake baron as seen in the start of the manga. So technically, I believe the last time he’s seen before receiving the particular armor change is after defeating the Count.

I’ve been trying to search the forum because I think this was covered before. If I remember correctly it’s just assumed that Guts made another visit to Godot’s cave sometime between the battle with the Count and meeting Jill. Or am I missing something that explains it explicitly?

The armor he has during lost children definitely did not get upgraded by Godot himself as it is stated by Erica that they didn't see Guts since 2 years (Episode 129). It is not really stated in the manga from where he got the extra protection from, but it does not also really matter. Generally it makes sense that he went for more protection after what happened during the count fight.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the last time he’s seen before receiving the particular armor change is after defeating the Count.

The breastplate Guts wears in the Black Swordsman arc is lost during his encounter with the God Hand, when Femto smashes him on a wall. He loses the pauldrons shortly before that, when the Count sends him flying into a pillar. When the arc ends, he has no armor anymore, which explains why he had to get a new one.

I’ve been trying to search the forum because I think this was covered before. If I remember correctly it’s just assumed that Guts made another visit to Godot’s cave sometime between the battle with the Count and meeting Jill. Or am I missing something that explains it explicitly?

It's not a safe assumption that he visited Godot. We don't know where he got the armor from; it's never explained.

it is stated by Erica that they didn't see Guts since 2 years (Episode 129).

It's Rickert who says so.

Ahmetal

God hand help us
The breastplate Guts wears in the Black Swordsman arc is lost during his encounter with the God Hand, when Femto smashes him on a wall. He loses the pauldrons shortly before that, when the Count sends him flying into a pillar. When the arc ends, he has no armor anymore, which explains why he had to get a new one.
That’s right! Of course.... he had clearly walked away without it. And before that the Count, in apostle form struck Guts into a wall, knocking off one shoulder guard with the strike and the other one when he hit the wall. Thanks for the reminder of that factor, explaining the need for the new set of armor.

It's not a safe assumption that he visited Godot. We don't know where he got the armor from; it's never explained.

Thanks for this, I thought it was never explained but I was beating myself up trying to figure it out, thinking that I missed something.

Last edited:

Ahmetal

God hand help us
Hi again - another question regarding armor here. I’ve noticed in the art book there is a version of armor similar to the one we don’t know the source of that he had acquired sometime prior to meeting Jill. In the art book it looks like He still has the first version of the repeating crossbow. However his shoulder armor has spikes on the top plate and a total of four plates with with the top one being biggest. The breastplate just has a buckle across it and nothing for holding throwing knives. The knees have guards but they look unique. I believe his cape is also held together with something different. I’m sure there are plenty of other variations to this armor.

My question is, has it been seen elsewhere? Are there any other sources besides the artbook? Or is there an explanation for the armor that I’m missing, be it story related, or just fun for the art book

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again - another question regarding armor here. I’ve noticed in the art book there is a version of armor similar to the one we don’t know the source of that he had acquired sometime prior to meeting Jill. In the art book it looks like He still has the first version of the repeating crossbow.

He gets the new crossbow from Rickert in volume 17, along with a new armor.

My question is, has it been seen elsewhere? Are there any other sources besides the artbook? Or is there an explanation for the armor that I’m missing, be it story related, or just fun for the art book

Not in the manga, although it shows up in several illustrations. Notice that the scenes depicted are also not from the manga. I just take them for what they are: cool illustrations. You're free to make of them what you want, including to imagine some unseen adventures of Guts as the Black Swordsman.

Ahmetal

God hand help us
Not in the manga, although it shows up in several illustrations. Notice that the scenes depicted are also not from the manga. I just take them for what they are: cool illustrations. You're free to make of them what you want, including to imagine some unseen adventures of Guts as the Black Swordsman.

So very cool

Top Bottom