blatant thief

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Heh...

http://yong.ariszone.com/berserk/​

Can you say, Pirate? Yarr. I know that I can, matey.​
pirate.jpg

Yarr...where be me booty? Anyway, this guy not only blatantly stole the current chapters, he took all of sections 1, and 2 of the FAQ and threw it on his site, with some damned nifty character pics (which I cant say anything negative about unfortunately)...and yes, without my permission. and YES this is a bitch fest.

He DID however, make original screen captures for the anime from apparently the original DVD source. Im happy for those, and the images in the character sections...HOWEVER, the rest...We will discuss.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Unless of course he scans them himself... but to just have the latest two chapters up then seem pretty coincidental...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Its stolen. I cross checked where I had to merge the images on a few of the 2 page spreads. The fuck-ups on the center line are mine. That doesnt really bother me, I mean, hell the current chapters arent even legally mine, if he wants to hose his bandwidth with those images, be my guest. I just dont see the point in having them in two places...

What really irks me is him taking all the frikken work I put into the FAQ and character summaries without any credit whatsoever....

The current chapter theft is just kinda obnoxious more than anything. :-[

Fishbomb

Yeah, but you put a lot of work into scanning those pages! It isn't right that he should put them on the net without giving credit. if he wanted to host them he could have asked, or even linked to your bloody site! >:(

And as for stealing what is written... hell... >:( that pisses me off. I mean, he has put so much work into the rest of the site (unless he stole that from someone else) why not simply write his own version?

GRRRR

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Basically all of the text on the site is stolen from either me or BSOM's, and all of the graphics are quasi-original (he took a few of my scans and spruced them up, which I really dont have a problem with because he made them look better).

Thats my basic concencus.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, I was impressed that this guy actually added Gaiseric to the FAQ (In the wrong place, before Silatt).  But the description did seem VERY familiar, then I realized he just stole that from your ‘Speculatins’ section, so much for him actually writing anything on the site, besides his name on all your work.

Well, I really don’t know what to say about this person other than:

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbimages/avatars/zo
ddass.jpg​
Congratulations, Yong, you win the coveted Mike T Award for excellence in website creation!

-Griffith

P.S. I wonder how he’ll answer these charges? “Huh? Me? Steal? Nah.” God bless the Internet.

Fishbomb

Cool... so Mike T has his own award now? Perhaps we should design a statue too? ;D

Speaking as a webmaster that is just so low to steal things... like people wouldn't notice. Yeah, a likely story...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, at least, I believe Mike T. was actually the author of his website.[/quote]

That's why Yong wins the award, Mike merely "borrowed" Walter's code, Yong stole...er..."borrowed" all his content! The kid’s an innovator!

Ugh, I thought as much. I don’t think he’s a bad guy, but he should know better to “borrow without asking” (which equals stealing by the way). Speaking of which, he asked Skully, but did he get an answer, how often does Skully check his guestbook? I don’t know why he’s changing the URL and vowing not to talk to us anymore. What did he expect, he could have at least thanked Walter and Skully (they did write it all) in his intial post, and nicely asked for permission then. Oh well, I’m sure if he stuck around it could all be worked out.

-Griffith

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A rather interesting turn of events for this whole deal...

It turns out on BSOM, Yong was defending himself through 4 (or was it 5?) different screen names. I exposed these IP addresses that were the same for all 4(or 5) people. It was these 4(or 5?) upstarts who started claiming that we were "flaming" Yong and his site, when we were just merely asking for a bit of credit...These 4 basically turned it into a big ass war...

So far Yong hasnt responded to my detective work

no, but "everyone" else has...
heh...
63.205. then the numbers change. do the last few didgits change each time you sign on to the internet?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It has to do with location, but when you have a 56k (or any dialup) modem, the IP changes every time you logon. If you have a cable modem (like most of us here) then the IP stays the same..It doesnt matter if theirs are different now however, they posted a dramatic ammount with the exact same IP already.

Fishbomb

Oh nice... The basest trick in the book. Imaginary friends...

This reminds me of how things started go bad over at the UGW board... I do certainly hope that there will be no such longstanding feud on the berserk message boards like there was on the Games Workshop message boards. Some people just can never stop...

I mean, the guy obviously has great graphic talents, and the site was nicely designed and easy to navigate. I guess his fault was to want to have it up in four days (!) and not thinking about the consequences.

One thought: when people overreact like that they usually have a bad conscience to start with (or are volatile to the extreme). If he had just missed putting out credits on his page, why not say so in a post without going ballistic? It would have been so easy...

:-/

dra.

Oy!
I thought that Walter's initial response was very soft. He compliments a guy who stole all of his original content, and posted scans he took and tried to claim the both as his own.

lyricaldanichan

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun!
I was reading thru the thread (tho it is kinda scary that you can find out IPs like that :O) and that dood who rip walter had the cohones to do what he did. But at least for now it is gone, he does draw pretty pictures ;-)

Danielle

Top Bottom