Dark Horse Releases "Deluxe" Berserk Edition

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I know Miura was on record saying he preferred the size and format

Not contesting this, but I don't remember him saying that. Where was it? I think the size is a nice novelty. The large page size does make the scenes feel bigger. But it's not essential.

Not contesting this, but I don't remember him saying that. Where was it? I think the size is a nice novelty. The large page size does make the scenes feel bigger. But it's not essential.

From DH's blog: "Kentaro Miura's Berserk has outraged, horrified, and delighted readers since 1989. Now, the champion of adult fantasy manga is presented in a handsome embossed hardcover edition amassing the first three Berserk volumes in Kentaro Miura's preferred 7x10" format, with further volumes to come to present the entire series in deluxe matching bookshelf collections."

Whether that's Dark Horse blowing smoke or an actuality I am not sure. My original post made it seem like it was from a first-hand source but it isn't.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
a handsome embossed hardcover edition amassing the first three Berserk volumes in Kentaro Miura's preferred 7x10" format

Whether that's Dark Horse blowing smoke or an actuality I am not sure. My original post made it seem like it was from a first-hand source but it isn't.

Yeah it's a very curious line, particularly given that this is how Dark Horse's Michael Gombos described the scenario back in 2017, when the question of a deluxe version was raised: "both the creator and licensor are pleased with the current format and releases, which is incredibly important to us as licensees of the work." Which would imply that "Miura's preferred format" is actually the standard release.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it's a very curious line, particularly given that this is how Dark Horse's Michael Gombos described the scenario back in 2017, when the question of a deluxe version was raised: "both the creator and licensor are pleased with the current format and releases, which is incredibly important to us as licensees of the work." Which would imply that "Miura's preferred format" is actually the standard release.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that in both cases Dark Horse was just making shit up.

Yoshinoya

- "I'll buy that for a dollar"
I assume its "his preferred format" because the format it is originally released in Japan (the magazine format) is larger than the standard smaller Dark Horse volumes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I assume its "his preferred format" because the format it is originally released in Japan (the magazine format) is larger than the standard smaller Dark Horse volumes.

It could be that Miura just likes it bigger (who doesn't?), but Young Animal's size isn't an indication of Miura's preference. It's the standard size of a magazine. He doesn't get to call the shots on the page size for it.

I do have volume one of this set and I'm pretty pleased with it in terms of physical quality. A shame some of the translations weren't revisited, but that's Dark Horse for you, I guess.

I'm collecting the Japanese series. I can get a volume for 100円, but finding used copies that are in acceptable condition (for myself, anyway) is a bit of a struggle.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
They still print the older ones? Believe me, I am more than happy to buy them new (specifically from a retailer). I only buy used when I must.

Oh, you mean the MBR ones? No they're only printed periodically and they don't cover the whole series. Sorry I thought you meant the regular tankōbon.

Oh, you mean the MBR ones? No they're only printed periodically and they don't cover the whole series. Sorry I thought you meant the regular tankōbon.
The tankōbon. Like, volumes 1-37. I didn't know they still printed new copies of those.

If that's the case, as I said, I would much prefer to buy them brand new. I only bought volumes 1-3 used because I could not find new copies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The tankōbon. Like, volumes 1-37. I didn't know they still printed new copies of those.

If that's the case, as I said, I would much prefer to buy them brand new. I only bought volumes 1-3 used because I could not find new copies.

Lol, why would you think Berserk isn't being printed anymore? :???: I'm genuinely curious! All volumes are available super easily in Japan.

Yeah they still print them. They even re-released all the volume with new covers a few years back.
Wow. Awesome, I dig the new covers. It'll be a nice contrast. Thank you.

Lol, why would you think Berserk isn't being printed anymore? :???: I'm genuinely curious! All volumes are available super easily in Japan.
I actually was told by a worker at a book store that Berserk's older volumes don't get printed anymore...

I am very glad to have you guys here, lol. I haven't been in Japan for very long; still learning.

I couldn´t resist and in the end bought the first deluxe volume! And I don´t regret it

My wallet regrets it though

Sorry for double post, the black tome has arrived, and I´m very pleased with the quality, the weight when I hold it on my hands, the satanic feel to it, hell, even the smell is great. I´ve never seen a manga treated like this before (though I´m sure there are more examples). Highly recommended. When I have the whole collection, I´m going to throw a party, or rather, a black mass.

:zodd:

Edit: Woops, now I see the edit button. Sorry again!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
goodblow.jpg

"Deluxe Edition"

Top Bottom