Dark Horse Releases

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Most Dark Horse editions are $8.99 (40% off) at TFAW.com right now: http://www.tfaw.com/Search/_results_limit_search=30/_results_order_search=title/_results_sstring_search=berserk

^ that's pretty neat, new fans grab a copy quick.

Since my visit to Kino yesterday, I was meaning to see what the state of DH's re-released volumes were, in terms of stock. With the new anime airing in a week, there's always going to be interest in the series and the possibility of new fans checking out/ buying the manga (hopefully). At a time like this, here's where we stand with DH volume availability on their website - volumes not in stock are 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 20, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36.

RightStuff currently has every volume available (phew!) with the exception of volume 5. Thankfully, TFAW has that volume. So, that's good for any fan who might want to support the series as of today.

Yeah I am currently reading the manga and volumes 6 and 7 are now out of print. Does anyone here have an extra pair of those volumes they want to sell? The prices on ebay and amazon are ridiculous, over 60 dollars.

Reprinted Volumes 2, 5, 6, 12, and 14 are currently in stock at Rightstuf. :guts:
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Berserk-Manga-Volume-2-The-Guardians-of-Desire
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Berserk-Manga-Volume-5
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Berserk-Manga-Volume-6
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Berserk-Manga-Volume-12
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Berserk-Manga-Volume-14

I already posted this on Reddit but I'll go ahead and post here, too.

V7mp4f0.jpg

The freakin spines. Seriously, Dark Horse? I was really excited when my package arrived and this kind of soured my mood a bit. I hope they fix this in the next batch because this looks really sloppy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
I already posted this on Reddit but I'll go ahead and post here, too.

http://i.imgur.com/V7mp4f0.jpg

The freakin spines. Seriously, Dark Horse? I was really excited when my package arrived and this kind of soured my mood a bit. I hope they fix this in the next batch because this looks really sloppy.

I'm actually amazed that not even two of them align perfectly. It seems they really worked hard to ensure it'd be inconsistent.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME.

Horrible. Absolutely horrible. I'm missing one volume and now I guess I have to resort to ebay for it.

Does that also mean all future releases will have this new spine??? DH WHY.

Delta Phi said:
Shit. That means volume 38 is going to be borked too when it finally gets here. Way to go DH! :ubik:

Please, tell me this is not the case.... :schierke:

I can't believe it, how can you do a mistake like that, or maybe it wasn't a mistake...even then, why? :mozgus:

Why Dark Horse? This basically would extetically ruin our collections on the shelf.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
V7mp4f0.jpg

You sweet summer children don't know the pain of collecting the three (four?!) different spines throughout Viz's various rebrandings of Vagabond since 2003. :judo:

But admittedly, this change seems stupid. The DH logo was already there at the top — why does it need to be on there twice, AND to displace the other elements so that it's not consistent? Maybe DH had a problem with advertising a third party (Digital Manga Publishing). Which makes me wonder...

Sareth, could you thumb through one of those new reissued prints and see if DMP is mentioned anywhere in the first few pages or the end? Anything different about the companies listed?

That new spine looks awful in comparison, ooofff.

I'm always lending out my volumes to friends who want to read em but I might have to get selective because if there's going to be damage, I can't afford to grab another volume that'll have a different spine in the middle of the stack ... 38 and on I presume will look like this? UGH.

Gobolatula said:
Guys calm down just buy the whole series again.

:ganishka:

Walter said:
You sweet summer children don't know the pain of collecting the three (four?!) different spines throughout Viz's various rebrandings of Vagabond since 2003. :judo:

I know what you mean :sad: ... the only consolation is that the spines for Vagabond's Japanese issues have stayed the same over the years. With Berserk, that's now changed too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I'm always lending out my volumes to friends who want to read em but I might have to get selective because if there's going to be damage, I can't afford to grab another volume that'll have a different spine in the middle of the stack ... 38 and on I presume will look like this? UGH.

Solution: Starting with Vol 38, all new volumes go on a different shelf. Then the spines will appear consistent to their neighbor :slan:

Walter said:
Solution: Starting with Vol 38, all new volumes go on a different shelf. Then the spines will appear consistent to their neighbor :slan:

Not enough Upvotes for that solution to be given in less than an hour. I'll have to rearrange the series in such a way to have Vaga~REA~Aki~Dunk on top to offset the spacing and get a Berserk shelf going in the middle of the shelf. Then there's also the Japanese volumes and their new spines to deal with :azan:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Unpopular opinion: you guys care too much about those spines. It's shitty, sure, but get over it... It's not the end of the world.

Aazealh said:
Unpopular opinion: you guys care too much about those spines. It's shitty, sure, but get over it... It's not the end of the world.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm lucky enough to have one of the earlier prints so they line up decent, but if I were in other's shoes I wouldn't waste money re-buying them all again just for alignment. What really matters is the content, which is unchanged. :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:

I'm "over" it. It's not like this will stop me from buying future volumes. But the sudden, arbitrary change of the spines is naturally upsetting to those of us who care about such things. In an ideal world, these things would match up. They won't anymore, and that's unfortunate, hence the growing chorus of piercing whines from the thread. It's a small concern, but a concern nonetheless.

Tama said:
if I were in other's shoes I wouldn't waste money re-buying them all again just for alignment.

Gobs was joking though .... right? :magni:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Tama said:
What really matters is the content, which is unchanged. :iva:

Unfortunately, that's the worst part of the Dark Horse editions. Spine uniformity was a relative strength before! :ganishka:

A deluxe edition is the only thing that'll get me to re-buy the whole manga. Or maybe if they fix all the translation errors, typos, bad printing quality of the earlier volumes, etc. The inconsistency of the spines aren't enough reasoning for me to do that.

Top Bottom