Dark Horse Releases

Excellent news, good to see DH is putting them out digitally. Unfortunately, I don't have the extra money to buy them.

On thhe bright side, volume 38 from DH showed up today. :serpico:

Sixtopia said:
Comixology has previews. There's a little "See what's inside" link under the cover image if you're on a page for one of the volumes.

So there is! And that's a yes on the stippling. What a time to be alive.

Walter said:
Quality looks great on devices like phones and tablets. On desktop, it's merely good enough. The convenience of having all of Berserk on my phone whenever I want it has already proven pretty useful.

The scan quality actually appears excellent in the close-ups I looked at. What kind of DPI are you viewing them at? I think "zoomed-out" they look dirty/grainy simply because of aliasing.
Nevermind. Just looked at a couple more and compared to the volume. "Good enough" is right.

BiQ_

" ... "
Dark Horse is now publishing Berserk in digital form

This might be of interest to some:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2558/sdcc-2017-dark-horse-acquires-digital-rights-berse

Digitial[sic] editions of Berserk Volumes 1–38 are now available to purchase on Digital.Darkhorse.com, Apple’s iBookstore, Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Barnes & Noble’s NOOK, Comixology, and Google Play.

I have used dark horse's digital bookstore earlier for some other titles, and my experiences thus far have been ...spotty. When it works, it's fine, but when it doesn't, it gets infuriatingly crashy on a phone at least. Web reader has mostly worked, though. And as can be seen from the list, they are available on other places as well.

Dunno if I'll actually switch to digital. There's something about having those paper volumes, yet the reality of shelf space at home is another thing...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Dark Horse is now publishing Berserk in digital form

BiQ-- said:
This might be of interest to some:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2558/sdcc-2017-dark-horse-acquires-digital-rights-berse

Hi BiQ-- and thanks for posting the info, however it had already been reported a few days ago. :serpico:
As a result I've merged your thread with the other one.

My copy of volume 38 finally arrived yesterday, and what a great volume it is. I had already seen the individual episodes as they came out, and my Japanese copy of the volume as well, but nothing beats a physical book that I can actually read, even if the translation is not what it should be, as proven time and again by puella (if you read this, once again thank you for your hard work!) It never ceases to amaze me how, even after reading each volume multiple times, there's always something new to find, and how the story is still as impactful as it was the first time.

And now to wait for volume 39 to be released...

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
m said:
My copy of volume 38 finally arrived yesterday, and what a great volume it is. I had already seen the individual episodes as they came out, and my Japanese copy of the volume as well, but nothing beats a physical book that I can actually read, even if the translation is not what it should be, as proven time and again by puella (if you read this, once again thank you for your hard work!) It never ceases to amaze me how, even after reading each volume multiple times, there's always something new to find, and how the story is still as impactful as it was the first time.

And now to wait for volume 39 to be released...

I received my japanese vol 39 yesterday. I thought I would be able to get Dark Horse's vol 38 before receiving vol39. now I have my first gap in the series. Should not be too long before get my hands on vol38 (and to be honest I can't wait considering there is a lot of awesome épisodes in it, some of my favorites in the "recent" releases.)

So based on some of the visual examples of the digital episodes, Kindle editions would be a good idea? Are the translations consistent with physical releases, even up to the latest volume? I'm determined to buy the entire series digitally.

Having resolved that I am probably never getting some of my loaned volumes back I bought a few of the digital releases. I have a Surface Pro, which can be used as a tablet, and it has a native resolution of 2736x1824. The scans easily hold up on that resolution and I spent so much time zooming around looking at little details without seeing any artifacts. There is an option to read panel-by-panel which is a bit hit or miss but when it works well it is quite a treat. As far as I know the digital versions require an internet connection so that is definitely a bummer. At this point I'm sure most of us are used to reading new episodes digitally, so if you don't mind the format then it's a great way to support the series.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ThePiedPiper said:
Are the translations consistent with physical releases, even up to the latest volume?

It's just the digital versions of the regular DH print editions, so there are not going to be any differences.

buttonmasher said:
As far as I know the digital versions require an internet connection so that is definitely a bummer.

You can download them and then access them without a connection. I can confirm I did this in an underground parking garage without any service.

Thank you for the information

buttonmasher said:
Having resolved that I am probably never getting some of my loaned volumes back I bought a few of the digital releases. I have a Surface Pro, which can be used as a tablet, and it has a native resolution of 2736x1824. The scans easily hold up on that resolution and I spent so much time zooming around looking at little details without seeing any artifacts. There is an option to read panel-by-panel which is a bit hit or miss but when it works well it is quite a treat. As far as I know the digital versions require an internet connection so that is definitely a bummer. At this point I'm sure most of us are used to reading new episodes digitally, so if you don't mind the format then it's a great way to support the series.

I can only imagine, I'm going to look into a Surface Pro myself (I generally don't like using my phone to read). I'm biased to a great many things, and Windows is one of them. Christmas is around the corner so screw it, I'll get one in the next month.

Owning all volumes both physically and digitally is the goal, this series is simply on another level. With a lot of manga, I have a habit of wanting to go through the content fairly quickly, especially when the series is heavy in fighting (because of testosterone, or maybe just some weird anxiousness? :p). But with Berserk, it's different. I connect with the content so well, and I haven't quite figured out why. I take in every detail and nuance of the work; it's truly an unprecedented type of enjoyment.
That, and when something is this masterfully crafted, or distinct when faced with so many options, the creator deserves to be supported. I can see myself rereading everything yet again when I get the device.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DH's Volume 39 has a July 24 release date (~1 year after the Japanese release): https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-39-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1506707084/

I'll be interested in what they choose for the Sovereign, the Corridor of Dreams, and how they handle things like Road of Dragons, Road of Elves.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rumor has it that DH will unveil an omnibus edition for Berserk in April. No announced details yet. As soon as something official comes up, I (or someone else) will post it here.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Whoa! I wonder if we should dare to dream about a larger print size and improved quality. Hopefully, it at least won't be the opposite.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Griffith said:
Whoa! I wonder if we should dare to dream about a larger print size and improved quality. Hopefully, it at least won't be the opposite.

If that happens, my bank account will cry... It's gonna be Worth it thought. Some of my volumes are pretty beat up.

So this isn't real? http://la6689.tumblr.com/post/172384308316/berserk-omnibus-is-coming-darkhorses-omnibi-are#tumblr_notes

I seem to recall that there was conflicting information regarding the reprints a while back.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sareth said:
So this isn't real? http://la6689.tumblr.com/post/172384308316/berserk-omnibus-is-coming-darkhorses-omnibi-are#tumblr_notes

I seem to recall that there was conflicting information regarding the reprints a while back.

Yeah, I saw that too... I was going to go by a comic shop and confirm that it's in Preview magazine tomorrow. Still, Dark Horse's official account says that it's "not legit news," so perhaps that magazine blurb was simply written in error? Stranger things have certainly happened :void:

This is also a rather strange way to announce new editions. Check out that section of the magazine. It's where publications can promote themselves and what they generally offer, not an announcements page. If there were big new editions coming this month, one would think there would be a real press announcement for it at this point.

I've reached out for further clarification, but at this point I'm disinclined to believe it.

That especially seems odd for Dark Horse to announce something so soon before a release. Like Volume 39, the guidebook, and the light novel are all announced yet months away. Then again, I don't think there was much promotion before the digital releases.

Overall seems unlikely, but maybe a bunch of people will pelt DH with requests because of it :ganishka:

Dark Horse version of an omnibus is kinda....well kinda...shit. When they announced they were doing an omnibus for Lone Wolf and Cub, I was initially excited, but it was just a bulk version of the manga they previously released. Being as Berserk isn’t completed, I’m not sure they would do it. But, even if not completed, if someone made a box set like the Akira Box set, money well spent

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The digital volumes are marked down to $5 right now on Comixology: https://www.comixology.com/Berserk-Vol-1/comics-series/1401

I wish I had gotten my volumes through Comixology rather than directly from Dark Horse as the former's app is a better reading experience in my opinion. We're unable to sync the two accounts so I guess I'm screwed :sad: .

Anybody have any idea if that will change eventually?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't even know Dark Horse sold them independently, weird. They have their own app and comic reader? I'd contact Comixology and let them know you have a license from Dark Horse, and ask if they can grant you that on their end. I wouldn't think that it's two separate licenses (just two different portals), but maybe I'm being naive...?

Indeed, Dark Horse has an app and comic reader. I may try to contact Comixology as you suggested but I'm have a feeling it won't happen. I believe Marvel does allow syncing accounts, too bad it's not the same with Dark Horse.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
https://i.redd.it/vi8mryp2js211.jpg

In recent reprints, Dark Horse has changed its translation of the Sovereign of the Flower Storm from "Hanafubuku King" to "Flower Storm Monarch." Good on them for correcting that half-translated mess.

Top Bottom