Do y’all see any point in speculating what will happen in the future anymore?

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
I don’t. Because of the various plot holes that have been present in post-Miura Berserk, I honestly don’t see any point in having deep-dive analyses on these new episodes because I think they will just end up being fruitless. I’m just taking these new episodes at face value going forward. What do y’all think?

I'm not enjoying the continuation, but I won't call analyses of it pointless.

The main objective of analyzing these episodes would be to dig out the skeleton of what Miura intended the remainder of the story to be, like literary archeology. Then we may be able to build on that and connect the dots to get an overall picture of what was going take place, murky though it may be.

Of course, I'm just going to shamelessly sit back and watch as Walter, Aaz, Griff and Co do all the hard work and paint that picture for us :femto:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t. Because of the various plot holes that have been present in post-Miura Berserk, I honestly don’t see any point in having deep-dive analyses on these new episodes because I think they will just end up being fruitless. I’m just taking these new episodes at face value going forward. What do y’all think?

To be honest, it's hard for me not to think about the implications of each episode as I read them. That's a natural process for me at this point. I don't feel the same pull that I used to, though. Like I said a while back, my interest in this continuation mainly lies in extracting Miura's authorial intent so I can reconstruct a backbone for the story and then ponder various scenarios. In that sense, a lot of the speculation will only take place once it's over.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Piggybacking on what Aaz said, I think it's almost more important we apply our analytical and speculative abilities to these episodes as they come, but for different reasons: are they factually consistent with what came before or not, what we think is directly from Miura and what is more guesswork or "connective tissue" by the team, does it seem authentic and pass the smell test, etc. Before it really didn't matter what we thought, Miura was going to reveal all in the end, now it's actually got some potentially investigative and revelatory value that can help our understanding of what not only will be but could have been.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, there's a point. Years from now it will be useful to have identified the key points that Miura left behind by scrutinizing and trimming the fat that's filling out the episodes. Sounds, nice right?

But that's a shift that's made us more like archeologists than fans. I don't think we're actively enjoying the thing that we're studying. So I wonder how sustainable that will remain on an episodic basis.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Man, I hope it steadies into something better than that! It's been real up and down for me with this the past few months, from a kind of gratefulness for a second chance of sorts, mixed with the idea of honoring Miura's legacy, to disappointments in both regards, and, finally, that old familiar cynicism and pessimism setting in.

Maybe initially I was just coming off the high of my son being born but now I'm just sleepless and irritable.:shrug:

I personally don't see any point in speculating after episode 364, but it's interesting watching other people react and voicing their opinion. It is an interesting case though like you all said, considering the circumstances, and definitely rises a few questions, both about Berserk and about the subject of continuing one's legacy in general. It rarely ends well in my opinion. I get the need to find the "Miura pieces" inside the whole continuation project, almost like a puzzle, but I didn't read Berserk for that reason and I'm against it. I read it because it was a singular vision that spoke to me, by one man, so it's a personal matter. I'd rather leave it like that and not tarnish it. Also, getting the basic plot points that Miura had in store for the story in an underwhelming way? I'd prefer not knowing it at all if it's not by the creator's hand. Let's call it like it really is, it's not his story anymore, it really is an official fanfic and "what if" project, so why bother? Doesn't appeal to me, at all:shrug:

If someone told me they were going to do that before the project even started, I would have cautioned against it. The quality, or lack thereof, of the project is irrelevant. For me, a deep-dive analysis of the project could only lead to a negative outcome.

I'm still very interested in seeing things that will surely have come from Miura play out, like what Guts' Beherit is ultimately used for or what the God Hand's plan is, and I will continue to read these episodes for that stuff, but yeah, it has been pretty thoroughly shown at this point that looking too closely at these episodes only makes them worse. This is a version of Berserk to keep at arms length.

Top Bottom