Does anyone think that Caska's just going to be fine after Elfheim?

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
Re: Does anyone think that Casca's just going to be fine after Elfhelm?

All I know is that its going to really change the Gutts Squad dynamics.

I admit, I'm more interested in how Ye Olde Casca will interact with Farnese, Serpico, Puck etc.

I think that when they get to elfhelm there won't be any major task left in between them and restoring casca. Casca's been out of the manga long enough, the journey has been difficult enough on all accounts, and it's time for the payoff. Also, what could they do at Elfhelm that would be of any use to the King? Flora found Guts' skills useful because of the trolls, but there's no reason to think Elfhelm is anything other than a perfectly stable area. The King could have them go kill rats for experience points or something, but that wouldn't serve much purpose.

I'm speculating on pure altruism from the King.

fors

Burning Rage !!!

I think that she will be cure for cetain and also I think they will face some troubles or perhaps some task to complete this.

the thing that is going to be interesting is what happend next? she remembers what happened and comprhends what has happened in the last years, I don´t think she is going to be so exited about going fighting apostles and killing her former drem guy, who raped her and kill her friends, So I will go for the idea of her persuading Guts of settling in Elfhelm and forgetting about the outside world.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Fors said:
I don´t think she is going to be so exited about going fighting apostles and killing her former drem guy, who raped her and kill her friends, So I will go for the idea of her persuading Guts of settling in Elfhelm and forgetting about the outside world.
Even though he raped her and killed her friends? I mean... maybe. I just personally don't see that happening when our good old, temper-tantrum Casca re-enters the series.

Maybe it'll be the opposite, as Aaz suggested before. Guts trying to calm HER down :guts:

mike.william said:
I'm speculating on pure altruism from the King.
Well, it's already been said, but if Puck, for any reason, was previously sent away from Elfhelm (a place he seems to know more about, according to his reactions), maybe by the King himself, I'm not sure his return would be that... calm...
As for altruism, I myself doubt about it! To use his "powers" (whose extent we still don't know about), I guess the King has to somehow trust Guts' Band, that would seem more logical to me.
One last thing is that "finding a boat" didn't seem that a difficult quest in the beginning, but it ended with a battle between the Kushans and the Neo Hawks....... So I'd say there's never anything that comes so easily, in BERSERK! :guts:

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent

I have the feeling, that when she does return to herself, so to speak, that she will still have symptoms of PTSD.

asmer said:
Well, it's already been said, but if Puck, for any reason, was previously sent away from Elfhelm (a place he seems to know more about, according to his reactions), maybe by the King himself, I'm not sure his return would be that... calm...
As for altruism, I myself doubt about it! To use his "powers" (whose extent we still don't know about), I guess the King has to somehow trust Guts' Band, that would seem more logical to me.
One last thing is that "finding a boat" didn't seem that a difficult quest in the beginning, but it ended with a battle between the Kushans and the Neo Hawks....... So I'd say there's never anything that comes so easily, in BERSERK! :guts:

I don't expect things to be so calm and easy when they get to Elfhelm either.

I always felt that Puck's reaction to the mention of the king was kind of strange. Puck had nothing to say. Evarella teased him and accused him of not even knowing that the king existed, but that seems odd (even for Puck) since Elfhelm was his home.

It is just blind speculation on my part, but I wonder if Puck has some kind of relationship to the king of Elfhelm? Miura is known to be inspired by history, mythology, etc. and Puck the prankster is commonly depicted as the emissary or estranged son of the elf/fairy king Oberon. Since they are going to Puck's home it would finally give Miura a chance to expand on his history and background apart from, "leaving Elfhelm because he was bored."

I just never trust anything to be very easy or clear-cut in Berserk. =p

It's more than likely #1.

We know from the game that Casca acts as if she has just woke up from a bad dream.  She remembers Guts.

Also, remember that the entire game is based on Guts getting her a cure.
Once she gets it, it works, but since it wasn't developed it didn't last.
So, as far as I can tell, the cure may not even come from the elves magic,
it may indeed be end up being a quest to gather things to heal her.
They may just know how to do it and what's needed. Or perhaps
it's a poof, done spell. but knowing Berserk... It's not going to be that
easy.

The Berserk DC game IS cannon and it gives us quite a bit of information, as well as shows us Guts as a skilled, lucid fighter for the longest period of time before the beast becomes a big factor and if we actually take the game as it is, also shows just how out and out powerful Zodd is (He's not even breathing hard after a long fight with Guts, while the Chimera Balzac is quite a weak Apostle)

I'm doing a kill count for the game.  Perhaps it can be added to the kill roster.
At least the major battles, anyway :D

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.

We know from the game that Casca acts as if she has just woke up from a bad dream. She remembers Guts.

Also, remember that the entire game is based on Guts getting her a cure.
Once she gets it, it works, but since it wasn't developed it didn't last.
So, as far as I can tell, the cure may not even come from the elves magic,
it may indeed be end up being a quest to gather things to heal her.
They may just know how to do it and what's needed. Or perhaps
it's a poof, done spell. but knowing Berserk... It's not going to be that
easy.

You can take the game as canon I suppose, but take it more lightly. I really don't think they'll have to get some quest to heal her. It would be much like venturing around the world to find the cure for the black plague, and then when you get to where the cure is supposed to be... the leader tells you... you have to find the Holy Grail. That would seem abit cliche, I really don't see that happening (but as the manga further progress's I have alot of gaps in my reading... so who knows).

The Berserk DC game IS cannon and it gives us quite a bit of information, as well as shows us Guts as a skilled, lucid fighter for the longest period of time before the beast becomes a big factor and if we actually take the game as it is, also shows just how out and out powerful Zodd is (He's not even breathing hard after a long fight with Guts, while the Chimera Balzac is quite a weak Apostle)

Guts is a skilled fighter... he's been fighting all his life... I don't see why you mentioned that... it's a game, his skill is mostly dependant on you. And no please don't use the game as a measure for Zodd's strength, yes he is an extremly powerful apostle, but not because the game said he was, take more stock in the manga. And yes he did have some trouble with the fight; his speech has more pauses in it, and he even remarks "you've gotten stronger branded one". But please don't use it as a reference.

But actually the one credit to the DC game (besides it being an extremly good game) is how Casca deos act after she is "sane". It's almost like she deosn't really know her past, and she refers to all those negative moments as if their just a "dream". She's insane because of her past... I don't see her suddenly remembering all this and saying "okay this is my past". I think she may have to have that part of her memory blocked out in order for her to stay sane... as once she remembers she might revert. Or she slowly remembers and stays sane like Guts, but that I don't see that happening.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"

Or she slowly remembers and stays sane like Guts, but that I don't see that happening.
Um, Guts stayed sane? Admittedly, he never "lost it" completely like Casca did, but despite his lucidity he was bat-shit insane: the Beast is both representative of and manifested from that insanity.

I think she'll somehow become normal, but maybe lost her memory completely in the process.

Hah. Maybe she'll be just fine, if we're lucky.

I miss the old Casca.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Casca said:
I think she'll somehow become normal, but maybe lost her memory completely in the process.
Well, that's not really supported by the Dreamcast game, in which Casca seems to have retained her memory, recognizing Guts. Of course, there's no telling how she'll be when/if her childlike state is fixed. I just think the DC game was an indication she'll be up to par, eventually.

Dirty Dog

No, I personally think one of these are going to happen:

1) Guts, remembering the Skull Knight's words, will leave it up to Casca..
Casca, although being a bit mentally handicapped, will be able to make her decision, and return to normal.
However, she will remember what Guts did to her while he was possessed, and beat the fuck out of him until she is stopped by Schierke and Farnese (and they might need Serpico's help, too >.>).

2) Guts, remembering the Skull Knight's words, will leave it up to Casca.
Casca, being a bit mentally handicapped, is unable to decide, so she stays as she is.
She will remain at Elfhelm for protection, while the others Journey onward.

3) Guts, remembering the Skull Knight's words, will not even ask the Elf King.
Casca will remain in Elfhelm for protection.

Guts, remembering the Skull Knight's words, will leave it up to Casca..
Casca, although being a bit mentally handicapped, will be able to make her decision, and return to normal.
The problem I see with this is that regaining one's sanity is not really a matter of simple choice, nor is the "decision" to become insane. I doubt that the whole issue would be resolved as easy as Hanafubuku Oh going *puff you're OK now*, there are deep implications regarding her sanity and coming to terms with what happened to her (and the others).

Dirty Dog

vlad said:
The problem I see with this is that regaining one's sanity is not really a matter of simple choice, nor is the "decision" to become insane. I doubt that the whole issue would be resolved as easy as Hanafubuku Oh going *puff you're OK now*, there are deep implications regarding her sanity and coming to terms with what happened to her (and the others).
The thing is, Caska's not insane.. she's just fucked up.
And while I know it probably won't be as simple as "[SFX:pOOF!] You're ok now!"; I didn't mention the huge story of returning her to her former self because that's not really necissary for this discussion.

I still think the decision would be easy for someone with a simple mind like hers. I'm not expecting her to say "yes" or "no", but she has proven herself to be capable of basic understanding of the world around her and being able to make decisions accordingly.
(after the eclipse, when Guts grabbed her and yelled and all, she struggled to get away from him - she understood she was being yelled at and wanted to get away from that.
When she "popped out" hers and Guts' child, she was able to understand that it was her child and attempted to nurture it.
When Guts tried to kill it, she understood that, and tried to protect it.
After Guts returned for her, and the bandits tried to rape her, she understood that and struggled.
When Guts tried to when he was possessed, she got pissed at him.)

She's not insane, only mentally handicapped.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Dirty Dog, you really think Casca, after all she's gone through and been mentaly tortured by, will just stand on the sidelines once she's regained her mind? I think you forgot who Casca was throughout the Golden Age, and even more recently, when she was on the offensive when attacked by sleazy rapists :casca:

Dirty Dog

Walter said:
Dirty Dog, you really think Casca, after all she's gone through and been mentaly tortured by, will just stand on the sidelines once she's regained her mind? I think you forgot who Casca was throughout the Golden Age, and even more recently, when she was on the offensive when attacked by sleazy rapists :casca:

and I quote
However, she will remember what Guts did to her while he was possessed, and beat the fuck out of him until she is stopped by Schierke and Farnese (and they might need Serpico's help, too >.>).
There is nothing there about her remaining on the Sidelines. I think that, if she regains her mind, she will go with Guts. As for her reasons, I can't really speculate, chicks are complicated.

She's not insane, only mentally handicapped.
OK since you insist upon it I'll try and be more precise. Her current condition resembles what is called "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" with symptoms such as global amnesia, acting on instinct and things like that. Such a condition is a result of a defensive mechanism of dealing with extreme stress by repressing memory in order to cope with what would otherwise lead to a complete (and probably irreversible) breakdown. So, while the term insanity is simplistic, it is closer to the point than saying she is mentally handicapped, since that term refers to something else (describing people with different disabilities, brought upon by various reasons, eg. Down syndrome, fetal alcohol syndrome etc.)
But either way, there is no way for someone to just "decide" to be fine again. Being mentally handicapped is usually not treatable while PTSD requires a LOT of therapy (in real life that is, but since this is fantasy the issue will probably be resolved differently). To overcome such a state one must come to terms with what happened first, acknowledge it and learn how to deal with it. The latter part is where the decisions come into play, and in Casca's case this will not be easy (and as it had been indicated, we might be in for a surprise).

Dirty Dog

vlad said:
OK since you insist upon it I'll try and be more precise. Her current condition resembles what is called "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" with symptoms such as global amnesia, acting on instinct and things like that. Such a condition is a result of a defensive mechanism of dealing with extreme stress by repressing memory in order to cope with what would otherwise lead to a complete (and probably irreversible) breakdown. So, while the term insanity is simplistic, it is closer to the point than saying she is mentally handicapped, since that term refers to something else (describing people with different disabilities, brought upon by various reasons, eg. Down syndrome, fetal alcohol syndrome etc.)
But either way, there is no way for someone to just "decide" to be fine again. Being mentally handicapped is usually not treatable while PTSD requires a LOT of therapy (in real life that is, but since this is fantasy the issue will probably be resolved differently). To overcome such a state one must come to terms with what happened first, acknowledge it and learn how to deal with it. The latter part is where the decisions come into play, and in Casca's case this will not be easy (and as it had been indicated, we might be in for a surprise).
I see I'm not going to make any ground discussing this with you, you're too sure you're right.
I understand your point, and you're right to an extent.
You can't just decide to be fine again, but you can decide that you want to be fine again, and take actions towards that effect.
And, in that case, it doesn't matter whether it's insanity or retardation (it's a mental condition, either way), and I doubt it would impair her ability to make that initial decision. (which is all she would need to make)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Dirty Dog said:
There is nothing there about her remaining on the Sidelines.

And I quote:

2) Guts, remembering the Skull Knight's words, will leave it up to Casca.
Casca, being a bit mentally handicapped, is unable to decide, so she stays as she is.
She will remain at Elfhelm for protection, while the others Journey onward.

3) Guts, remembering the Skull Knight's words, will not even ask the Elf King.
Dirty Dog, I think the reason you may find some opposition to your possibilities is because theyre pretty anticlimatic and well... boring :guts:

So after all this build up, nothing happens with Casca's character? I really doubt Miura's keeping her around just for the fuck of it. Based on all the hints Miura has dropped across the series since the eclipse, (see vol 23: her attack on her captors, vol 30: Guts remembering the old Casca) I think she'll be fully restored. The old Casca is there still, just buried.

And vlad, cool info but you know, her condition is likely a mix of (I hate to word it this way but...) "magical" and psychological trauma. Otherwise, why would the band need the help of a powerful magic user like Hanafubuku King? Is he somehow a qualified psychiatrist? :troll:

Dirty Dog

Walter said:
And I quote:
Dirty Dog, I think the reason you may find some opposition to your possibilities is because theyre pretty anticlimatic and well... boring  :guts:

So after all this build up, nothing happens with Casca's character? I really doubt Miura's keeping her around just for the fuck of it. Based on all the hints Miura has dropped across the series since the eclipse, (see vol 23: her attack on her captors, vol 30: Guts remembering the old Casca) I think she'll be fully restored. The old Casca is there still, just buried.

And vlad, cool info but you know, her condition is likely a mix of magical and psychological trauma. Otherwise, why would the band need the help of a powerful magic user like Hanafubuku King? Is he somehow a qualified psychiatrist?  :troll:
You're forgetting about Guts.
Guts has been looking forward to returning her to normal for the majority of the story.
And I know that Guts would be torn up inside if he returned her to normal and she was unhappy/insane/etc.; but he would also be torn up inside if she weren't returned to normal.
Most likely more torn up inside than Griffith was after Guts left the band of the hawk...
and Guts does have a beherit with him...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Dirty Dog said:
and Guts does have a beherit with him...
And... what... are you implying? GUTSZU APOSLTE?!?! :ganishka:

Dirty Dog

Walter said:
And... what... are you implying? GUTSZU APOSLTE?!?! :ganishka:
It's possible, although very unlikely.
Or maybe, simply, "The Beast Strikes Back" :|

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"

I liked the points about PTSD and therapy. Since therapy typically involves talking with the person, gaining their trust, and getting them to look at what their problems are, aknowledge that they are problems, and then talk about what some solutions to these problems might be. All that talk is necessary because people can't just look inside of people's heads. Schierke "dived" into Guts' consciousness when the Beast took control of him, to remind him of who he is and what is important to him. She can do this because she is a witch, and has training in walking through the Astral. Now, Hanafubuku Ou is an elf, living on an island with many witches and wizards. Is it terribly presumptuous to assume that he, too, might have some wizardly training?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Dirty Dog said:

Someone hasn't noticed Guts' change of policy on that matter it seems. The new rule ever since volume 17 is "she's only safe within the range of my sword." There's no reason to think Elfhelm would be an exception, especially since leaving her there means not being able to check on her for a very long time. Not to mention what Walter said: it'd be boring, redundant, unimaginative and unsatisfying.

Dirty Dog said:
I see I'm not going to make any ground discussing this with you, you're too sure you're right.

Well he IS right in the post you're quoting. Not to an extent, he's just right, and what you said is wrong.

Dirty Dog said:
You can't just decide to be fine again, but you can decide that you want to be fine again, and take actions towards that effect.

And that's not a decision she'll take after they ask her drooling self. It'll probably involve penetrating her mind and reaching the core of her spirit, the part that doesn't want to look at the world anymore.

Dirty Dog said:
It's possible, although very unlikely.

It's not going to happen.

Trashcan said:
Now, Hanafubuku Ou is an elf, living on an island with many witches and wizards. Is it terribly presumptuous to assume that he, too, might have some wizardly training?

One of the primary traits of elves is that they can feel people's emotions and read their mind. This has been demonstrated by Puck countless times in the series. What's presumptuous is to assume the legendary Elf King would need training like a human and/or from one while he's an astral being to begin with, and not just any astral being either. In any case, since Skull Knight himself told Guts and Schierke he might be able to cure Casca, something Schierke can't do (and as far as we know, neither could Flora), I think it's safe to assume he's got the basics down. Aside from that, I doubt curing Casca's condition will be as simple as snapping Guts out of the influence of the Berserk's Armor's Od was in volume 27 (which was only possible thanks to Flora's talisman to begin with).

Top Bottom