Elden Ring (New From Soft Game)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, if you care about what this game may be about, but how dark vs generic fantasy are we talking, and how action vs how RPG? These are the questions I want to be debating endlessly in this thread, not the plausible substance of the game based on what we've seen.

:ganishka:

Kidding aside, considering the development of this game and depending on its size, Sekiro may ironically be more of a "side project" than we thought, as well...

I think it depends when the development started (it looks early, hence no gameplay), and I believe From Software has become solid enough that they can handle 2 titles at once (like for Bloodborne and DS2), but yeah this one sounds like their biggest endeavor as a studio since the first Dark Souls. I secretly hope they're also working on a real VR title as well (since Déraciné was hardly a worthwhile effort) but one can only hope.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that they'll keep iterating on their core concept and make it evolve to avoid the weariness that traditionally comes with regular installments.

The scope of your cynicism went from "writing consultant" to "just a writing contractor", so that's at least an improvement.:ganishka:

Haha, I really just mean the same thing though. I'm not saying Martin was in it to cash in a check or that he didn't take it seriously, but he "just" developed the backbone on which the mythos and narrative of the game will be constructed. That's obviously an important part of the creative process, but I still expect the game to be very distinctly a From Software title with the usual bits from the Souls lineage. I guess my point is that he's not the game's "main writer" and people should keep their expectations in check in that regard. Not that I personally care about his involvement, mind you.

In the end I look forward to it and I'll judge it when I play through it!

I think it depends when the development started (it looks early, hence no gameplay), and I believe From Software has become solid enough that they can handle 2 titles at once (like for Bloodborne and DS2)

It started after they had finished DS3's DLC, so early 2017. They've been working on it alongside Sekiro, so yeah, they are definitely capable of handling more than one big project at once.

I guess my point is that he's not the game's "main writer" and people should keep their expectations in check in that regard. Not that I personally care about his involvement, mind you.

I have a strong feeling he is, actually. It could be Miyazaki is just being polite about it, but he hasn't given himself much credit aside from sharing his vision with Martin before he started writing the actual mythos. So far, all the main plot elements, characters and drama are suggested to be his doing. It makes sense that if you made a collaborative deal with a renowned writer you should give him priority to exercise his art, but who knows.

In the end I look forward to it and I'll judge it when I play through it!

Fair — ultimately we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I have a strong feeling he is, actually. It could be Miyazaki is just being polite about it, but he hasn't given himself much credit aside from sharing his vision with Martin before he started writing the actual mythos. So far, all the main plot elements, characters and drama are suggested to be his doing. It makes sense that if you made a collaborative deal with a renowned writer you should give him priority to exercise his art, but who knows.

We'll see I guess, but the way it's been described (see below) makes me think it's not the case.

"This allowed us to have many free and creative conversations regarding the game, in which Mr. Martin later used as a base to write the overarching mythos for the game world itself. [...] Elden Ring’s world was constructed using this mythos and stimulus as a base."

This describes Martin using his discussions with Miyazaki as the basis to create an overarching mythos, from which the team at From Software created the world and everything else. Like I said, a contractor. :iva:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Miyazaki said the game was initially planned to be a more classic type of fantasy (which is also apparent from the somewhat generic name they chose), but it will still lean towards eerie, dark themes, as is the FS spirit.

Doesn't it feel like it should be Elden RingS? And yeah, horrible monsters bosses confirmed.

I tend to agree with the opinion that Sekiro is different from Souls, and not just because it had a different name and is more of an action-adventure with limited RPG elements. I feel like the vision for it was different as well. That being said, it shares too many similarities with the FromSoftware (Souls) formula to be considered a totally different thing for many people, and I can understand that.

It's got it's specific distinctions, but to me it's like a Souls game pared down, streamlined, and tweaked rather than something in another mold, an attempt at addition by subtraction (like Bloodborne, with some modifications and different assets it could easily be made into a Dark Souls IV). If it wasn't still so hard and esoteric in subject matter, a case could be made it's an attempt at more traditional, mainstream Souls game. They didn't even ditch the RPG elements completely as I thought they would; I was actually more surprised by how similar it was than different.

I think it depends when the development started (it looks early, hence no gameplay), and I believe From Software has become solid enough that they can handle 2 titles at once (like for Bloodborne and DS2), but yeah this one sounds like their biggest endeavor as a studio since the first Dark Souls.

Well, I didn't fact check it but the number I saw kicking around was three years so far, but they're probably counting from the time Miyazaki was watching Thrones on a "borrowed" HBO GO account and realized, "Hey, won't this guy say yes to any project offered? We should capitalize on this!" Still, enticing to think they at least have a lot of material to work with, even if they haven't brought much of it to fruition yet.

I secretly hope they're also working on a real VR title as well (since Déraciné was hardly awworthwhile effort) but one can only hope.

KING'S FIELD V-R!

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that they'll keep iterating on their core concept and make it evolve to avoid the weariness that traditionally comes with regular installments.

I hope they make Dark Souls IV. :ganishka:

Martin... "just" developed the backbone on which the mythos and narrative of the game will be constructed. That's obviously an important part of the creative process, but I still expect the game to be very distinctly a From Software title with the usual bits from the Souls lineage. I guess my point is that he's not the game's "main writer" and people should keep their expectations in check in that regard.

If anything I'm worried it won't have that edge, kind of like Dark Souls II, so I'm glad that whatever Miyazaki and Martin developed together it's going to be Miyazaki executing it in his distinctive style ultimately. Still, I'll be curious to learn just how involved Martin was, how much he gave them, and how much deference Miyazaki paid to it/tried to adhere to it. That last part could determine whether Martin should be considered a lead/co-writer or just a big name consultant.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's got it's specific distinctions, but to me it's like a Souls game pared down, streamlined, and tweaked rather than something in another mold, an attempt at addition by subtraction (like Bloodborne, with some modifications and different assets it could easily be made into a Dark Souls IV).

Exactly. It's them further experimenting around their proven formula, trying to push the envelope without killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. And this new (or I guess not so new) project is also following that process as far as I can tell, even if it's not in the same direction.

KING'S FIELD V-R!

I'd be down for that! Or even Armored Core.

If anything I'm worried it won't have that edge, kind of like Dark Souls II, so I'm glad that whatever Miyazaki and Martin developed together it's going to be Miyazaki executing it in his distinctive style ultimately.

Same here...

Still, I'll be curious to learn just how involved Martin was, how much he gave them, and how much deference Miyazaki paid to it/tried to adhere to it. That last part could determine whether Martin should be considered a lead/co-writer or just a big name consultant.

Yeah, I mean part of my take on this is simply that Martin doesn't have much free time, but at the end of the day I hope he had the chance to really help creatively.

Griffith

Exactly. It's them further experimenting around their proven formula, trying to push the envelope without killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. And this new (or I guess not so new) project is also following that process as far as I can tell, even if it's not in the same direction.

Yeah, I hope it pivots significantly back towards Souls and especially Bloodborne, frankly. I liked Sekiro well enough but ultimately it wasn't as multi-faceted, and among the variety excluded was some of what I really like about these games (even the multiplayer, which I generally have no interest in, is so anti-social I like it =). I've pretty much decided Sekiro is my least favorite of the Souls "lineage," even below a bastard offspring like Nioh.

I'd be down for that! Or even Armored Core.

I don't know about Armored Core, but if they did King's Field as a PS4 exclusive and it was good and basically first person VR Souls I'd spring for PSVR. Actually it's so cheap now, like $200, I'm considering it anyway. RE7 alone...

Yeah, I mean part of my take on this is simply that Martin doesn't have much free time, but at the end of the day I hope he had the chance to really help creatively.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I hope it pivots significantly back towards Souls and especially Bloodborne, frankly. I liked Sekiro well enough but ultimately it wasn't as multi-faceted, and among the variety excluded was some of what I really like about these games (even the multiplayer, which I generally have no interest in, is so anti-social I like it =). I've pretty much decided Sekiro is my least favorite of the Souls "lineage," even below a bastard offspring like Nioh.

Haha below Nioh? That's harsh. I have zero interest in Nioh 2 to be honest. Anyway it seems they're heading in the desired direction regarding what you want. Of course there's still a lot of unknowns...

I don't know about Armored Core, but if they did King's Field as a PS4 exclusive and it was good and basically first person VR Souls I'd spring for PSVR. Actually it's so cheap now, like $200, I'm considering it anyway. RE7 alone...

Honestly if they were to make the VR game people want from them they might as well just call it Dark Souls VR. For PSVR, it's got good games but it's not the headset I'd buy in 2019 (that'd be the Oculus Quest).

:ganishka:

Griffith

Haha below Nioh? That's harsh. I have zero interest in Nioh 2 to be honest. Anyway it seems they're heading in the desired direction regarding what you want. Of course there's still a lot of unknowns...

Yep, sunk 100+ hours into Nioh for a reason: it was fun! The fighting was fast, varied and intense (without having to block everybody to death, ahem =), the item use system were improvements, the scaling weapons and armor drops were good, and most of all the yokai and oni were cool. The storytelling was... well, it didn't take itself too serious with all those goofy spirit animals running around, but I could tolerate the gonzo take on history because even though it was ridiculous you could actually look up every character and monster for their real history or mythology. That was interesting! So yeah, I don't know if Nioh II will be worthwhile, but I ended up really enjoying the first one. Oh, and BTW, some good innovations from it ended up in Sekiro. :shrug:

Honestly if they were to make the VR game people want from them they might as well just call it Dark Souls VR. For PSVR, it's got good games but it's not the headset I'd buy in 2019 (that'd be the Oculus Quest).

Yeah, what holds me back is I've sampled the PSVR goods and know it's got some compromises and is likely entry level, but I've never even tried better so I can't really knowledgeably compare other than to note the PSVR's shortcomings in a vacuum (didn't like Doom, RE7 was weird because it's a port, etc). Still, the immersion of some of those videos and shooters also shows you the potential when they perfect this, and for all I know they may basically have at the top tier levels.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't not enjoy Nioh but basically I got fed up with it eventually. I was close to the end of the plot but ended just not booting up anymore. To each his own though and I'm glad you liked it!

Yeah, what holds me back is I've sampled the PSVR goods and know it's got some compromises and is likely entry level, but I've never even tried better so I can't really knowledgeably compare other than to note the PSVR's shortcomings in a vacuum (didn't like Doom, RE7 was weird because it's a port, etc). Still, the immersion of some of those videos and shooters also shows you the potential when they perfect this, and for all I know they may basically have at the top tier levels.

I don't want to derail this thread so maybe I'll make a dedicated one for VR stuff. There's some pretty good stuff out there and some more coming soon.

Griffith

I didn't not enjoy Nioh but basically I got fed up with it eventually. I was close to the end of the plot but ended just not booting up anymore.

Well, me too actually, but for me it's the last two DLC bosses I still have to fight. It's not an easy game to pick back up after a long absense, though. Especially since I was playing with bastardized controls that are counterintuitive to the in-game commands, etc.

Anyway, I would have to wait and see myself about Nioh 2, but the original was a pretty cool alternative take on Souls/Bloodborne instead of just a poor imitation, it was prescient about Sekiro in some ways, and had a little Diablo thrown in for good measure. So, all in all, a good game for me despite the motif and story not really being favorites of mine. If I do pick it back up and beat those last bosses maybe I'll explore the crazy Diablo-like rift levels they have where you can just keep leveling your character, weapons and attack power like crazy. That was another facet of the game I was interested in but never really got to try.

Last edited:

Judo

Midlands finest
If anything I'm worried it won't have that edge, kind of like Dark Souls II

I think the lore was one of the few good parts of DS2. There were several Areas and Bosses that didn't fit in and were lazy in design... but the overall history of Vendrik, the Giants and Nashandra was quite intriguing imo.
In comparison, DS3 did way too much fanservice for my taste.

Griffith

Check it out:
Miyazaki isn't some lame Thrones fanboy, he respects Martin for his purer works; early 80's Vampire fiction!

I think the lore was one of the few good parts of DS2. There were several Areas and Bosses that didn't fit in and were lazy in design... but the overall history of Vendrik, the Giants and Nashandra was quite intriguing imo.
In comparison, DS3 did way too much fanservice for my taste.

It's fine, the dreariest of the dreary to its credit, but also kind of generic and rehashed itself; the hollowed King, giants but different giants, the four lord souls, etc. Nashandra was one of those weird connections that has so barely to do with the original game it's almost infuriating that they even bothered with it. DS3 on the other hand thoroughly built on, served and furthered the lore of the previous games, Nameless King motherfuckers, including Demon's Souls. It's essentially a sequel, synthesis and culmination of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. Basically, I don't buy into the popular criticisms of either game, i.e. DS2 is the B team, DS3 is a remake, etc, but I do prefer DS3's lore and overall approach. To me it took something great, the Souls series, and refined and perfected it, even if elements of the originals were already familiar of course. Actually, Bloodborne was the perfect refinement, AND unique! Win-win.

Last edited:

Judo

Midlands finest
I don't have much to put up against such a tight block of arguments. You had me at the Nameless King. :shrug:
So, let's all agree in our praise of Bloodborne then. :ubik:

Whelp, to say I'm excited for this is a massive understatement.

Can't wait for this, just like the other Soulsborne games to keep getting in the way of me playing anything else ever.

Thanks Miyazaki, once again!

I'm kinda worried that we don't have one very important aspect of this game confirmed - will it be with multiplayer or without it. Multiplayer in Souls games is what made the whole community thrive even more throughout years, it's also very unique and adding a lot of replayability not only in general ( PvP ) but also to main game core ( cooperation - discovering new areas, fighting enemies/bosses ) Concept of overlaying worlds with possibility to see other players, their messages, deaths - very fascinating and needs to stay. Sekiro did not provided this thus I wasn't so much interested in buying it ( I will do it sooner or later ) on its release day however if this is supposed to be more like Dark Souls then I would expect Dark Souls like multiplayer.

There is some limited speculation about game releasing around June 2020, none of it confirmed, I'd take it with grain of salt and we need to remember that we don't even have game footage itself.

Griffith

I'm kinda worried that we don't have one very important aspect of this game confirmed - will it be with multiplayer or without it. Multiplayer in Souls games is what made the whole community thrive even more throughout years, it's also very unique and adding a lot of replayability not only in general ( PvP ) but also to main game core ( cooperation - discovering new areas, fighting enemies/bosses ) Concept of overlaying worlds with possibility to see other players, their messages, deaths - very fascinating and needs to stay.

In general I'm usually indifferent if not anti-multiplayer, yet Souls-style multiplayer may be the exception precisely because it's kind of designed to be that pain in the ass human element. I don't know if it was missed in Sekiro, but maybe I would have liked it more if it were there. Bloodborne didn't have a lot to offer in the way of multiplayer, but at least it was possible. DSIII was easily my favorite in this regard; when you multiple Covenants going at it that shit could be a blast. DSII, as always, was the weirdest.

Anyway, it sounds like it would fit the themes of the game based on what we know so far, large open world and multiple realms, so hopefully they devise something fresh that still serves that same function as Souls muliplayer; the authentic ugliness of humanity. =)

I really hope they have multiplayer in the Elden Ring. Honestly, I don't even play multiplayer but there's something about the messages, seeing the ghosts playing the same areas as you, things like the bells ringing in Dark Souls 1 or the weird quirky mechanics of the series, it just feels boring with it.

It makes the world feel alive despite being so desolate. I really notice when it's not there like when the Demon Soul's servers were constantly fucked up and glitchy or Dark Souls 1 on PC wouldn't ever connect properly.

Either way, like everyone else, can't wait to hear about Ohhhh Elden Ring.

Griffith

Well, I started believing when I saw the homing soulmass spell, and I'll take Schreier's word for it unless told otherwise, because hey, why not, this game has to see the light of day eventually, right? On the flipside of this discussion, is it a good sign it looks so generic it could be some fan creation in a random engine? =)

Update: Just saw the "second" leak above (I had seen two already), and yeah, much sexier.

Also, I want dated graphics so Sony doesn't pay to make it PS5 exclusive for 12 months just so nobody can play it on their unavailable system. =)

Both show that giant tree (I can already see the Berserk comparisons :ganishka:) in the distance so I would be surprised if the first one isn’t legitimate.
From the two year old trailer I imagined the sky to always “burn” but they seem to have blue skies and a night time, too. But I guess i shouldn’t start theorizing over a wip

Top Bottom