Elden Ring (New From Soft Game)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I LOVE Sekiro. Other Souls games were really difficult for me to the point of cheesing most enemies, bosses, skipping areas altogether to ignore annoying enemies, etc. But Sekiro with its rhythm based combat was an amazing experience.

Sounds like we had the opposite experiences where Souls and Sekiro are concerned! Sometimes I think the distinction between straight Souls (DeS, DS1, 2 & 3) and BB/Sekiro is the latter two force you to have a rolling build and a parrying build, respectively. Those two games are basically a big "fuck you" to heavy armor and shields, so I wonder how that's going to manifest or reconcile in Elden Ring?

I think the first time you experience dark souls it's a very special experience because it's unlike anything you've experienced before, the other games don't quite capture that same magic as the first time I agree.

I think DS1 is a particularly special experience because it's basically already an "open," interconnected world, and until you get the ability to move between bonfires there's a real "behind enemy lines" survival and subsistence aspect to it as you progress, sometimes dragging yourself to the next bonfire, that the other games just don't have, except maybe Bloodborne since it has the same sort of interconnected world design and purposefully puts you in those situations in various fucked up villages, etc. In DS1 it's the majority of the game though. The other Souls games are just more level-oriented (DeS) or linear (DS3), and then you have DS2, which doesn't make any goddamn sense from one area to another, though I appreciate the variety of extremes. =)

But all of their games are unique in their own way. I can agree the souls games do get a little stale after a while, but they are still really enjoyable, and I always get invested in them.

Yeah, DS2 and 3 are more of the same by design, DS2 is just MORE Dark Souls basically (but they fucked up the mechanics fixing what wasn't broken), and 3 is actually a proper and satisfying sequel to all the games before it. The Dark Souls franchise itself is basically From Soft's own non-Sony-affiliated Demon's Souls-like that they could make third party for everyone.

I think Bloodborne is their best game, it's my favourite game of all time alongside silent hill 2, it's far from hollow I think, it surpasses Dark Souls 1 in every way to me.

*nods knowingly*

It's the best, and I've actually got the itch and would jump back in except I want to be somewhat fresh for the potential, if not inevitable, PS5 remake. My gaming retirement might just be exploring deeper and deeper fetid, rotted, cursed Chalice Dungeons.

once it clicked in my head and I stopped playing [Sekiro] like a soul's game I started to love it

Well, that sums up my problem succinctly; I never stopped playing it like a Souls game. I play Nioh like a Souls game too, but that actually works.

I did everything in Sekiro 100% I played it over six times consecutively.
Not to brag but :carcus:

Well, I platinum'd Bloodborne and FF7 Remake! So... uhh... there's that.

Sekiro is the only From Soft game I've beaten. I've gotten close with both DS1&2, but for some reasons stopped at the end.

Sounds like there's Souls-brain or Sekiro-brain people; again, I wonder which will benefit more in Elden Ring? Anyway, I would recommend playing Bloodborne of course, or at least finishing DS1 if you're in position to pick up where you left off.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like we had the opposite experiences where Souls and Sekiro are concerned! Sometimes I think the distinction between straight Souls (DeS, DS1, 2 & 3) and BB/Sekiro is the latter two force you to have a rolling build and a parrying build, respectively. Those two games are basically a big "fuck you" to heavy armor and shields, so I wonder how that's going to manifest or reconcile in Elden Ring?

If I were to guess, it's gonna be back to "SHIELDS UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP" and/or "STAY AWAYYYYYYYYYY MAGIC ARROWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" for 90% of players.

I think DS1 is a particularly special experience because it's basically already an "open," interconnected world, and until you get the ability to move between bonfires there's a real "behind enemy lines" survival and subsistence aspect to it as you progress, sometimes dragging yourself to the next bonfire, that the other games just don't have

Yeah, that's where it innovated the most compared to Demon's Souls and I think why it remains the best modern From Software game so far: a world that's deeply interconnected in a way that feels natural (not necessarily the case for the others) and in which you sometimes really feel like you're just barely surviving your way forward. Of course the mysterious yet coherent and layered story helps a lot, plus all the unique/novel little details that felt fresh at the time.

Griffith

If I were to guess, it's gonna be back to "SHIELDS UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP" and/or "STAY AWAYYYYYYYYYY MAGIC ARROWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" for 90% of players.

I can't really talk, I always play the Royalty class in Demon's Souls and Soul Arrow everything in the first half of the game. I get that inferno spell by the end too and 1 or 2 hit bosses on NG+. Who said these games had to be hard? :guts:

Yeah, that's where it innovated the most compared to Demon's Souls and I think why it remains the best modern From Software game so far: a world that's deeply interconnected in a way that feels natural (not necessarily the case for the others) and in which you sometimes really feel like you're just barely surviving your way forward. Of course the mysterious yet coherent and layered story helps a lot, plus all the unique/novel little details that felt fresh at the time.

I like this sentiment about Dark Souls, and appreciate that it could also easily be describing Bloodborne. =)

Really, not only do I think it's the best From game, but it has a whole Soulsablo sub-game included with unique items, enemies and bosses! The game truly embodies madness.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I can't really talk, I always play the Royalty class in Demon's Souls and Soul Arrow everything in the first half of the game. I get that inferno spell by the end too and 1 or 2 hit bosses on NG+. Who said these games had to be hard? :guts:

Yeah, I should have said I was including myself in the above. :schnoz:

I like this sentiment about Dark Souls, and appreciate that it could also easily be describing Bloodborne. =)

Really, not only do I think it's the best From game, but it has a whole Soulsablo sub-game included with unique items, enemies and bosses! The game truly embodies madness.

Haha, well you know I'm not as fond of Bloodborne as you are, but that's fine. Curious to see how Elden Ring shakes things up.

Everyone's freaking out about PC requirements. I'm good, save for Windows 11. Big no to that. Otherwise, my soul is prepared. Does OS make a difference?

I'm only on year...3 on being a PC gamer? Year 1 if you count actual game time...

I'm happy to have a new FromSoftware title to lose myself in, I just need time to actually play. :/

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Everyone's freaking out about PC requirements. I'm good, save for Windows 11. Big no to that. Otherwise, my soul is prepared. Does OS make a difference?

I'm only on year...3 on being a PC gamer? Year 1 if you count actual game time...

I'm happy to have a new FromSoftware title to lose myself in, I just need time to actually play. :/
You should be good on OS, 11 is just there to show that if people upgraded they can use that. Also, the launch of Fromsoft games is always rough on PC and a lot of times the players have to make mods to fix framerate issues and other stuff, so just be aware of that.

I hope no one is planning to get this for PC until there is confirmation that FROM has fixed their RCE exploit on the network codebase!

And as much as I want this day one, I’ve learned my lessons. I just started Red Dead Redemption 2 and I figure by the time I’m done with it, the GOTY or whatever edition with DLC will be available. :badbone:

There’s also the small matter of getting a PS5 or new video card at any kind of reasonable price point that is holding me up…

Griffith

the launch of Fromsoft games is always rough on PC and a lot of times the players have to make mods to fix framerate issues and other stuff, so just be aware of that.

Most of the requirements are probably not because it's so advanced but not very well optimized, another reason to get it for console, though not as big as...

I hope no one is planning to get this for PC until there is confirmation that FROM has fixed their RCE exploit on the network codebase!

I just learned about this, and I'm getting it for PS5 anyway since I'm currently without a PC, but I think I'll go ahead and pre-order it now since it sounds like even if I fix my PC this week it's a stay away.

And as much as I want this day one, I’ve learned my lessons. I just started Red Dead Redemption 2 and I figure by the time I’m done with it, the GOTY or whatever edition with DLC will be available. :badbone:

That's a great way to spend your time waiting, I think that game's almost underrated because we somehow collectively didn't talk about it or make it big enough (for comparison I think it's about 1000 times more impressive than GTV). I also just learned Horizon Forbidden West was out this week and wish I'd started it sooner before Elden Ring.

There’s also the small matter of getting a PS5 or new video card at any kind of reasonable price point that is holding me up…

It's like a subculture at this point! I was staying up until 4am following PS5 purchasing gurus hoping to collect from a Target drop or something. Never worked, but of course I just got it from a Sony direct drop I waited for at work after learning one of guys from Computer Ops had gotten like half a dozen PS5s for himself and his friends. He was waiting in the queue for me when I texted him the good news that I broke through.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Damn it... Oh well, I've got enough to play anyway, but that is a bummer. My system is up to snuff, and it was going to be a Day 1 purchase for PC.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop

Great game. I just got done 100%-ing it. Pretty much my favorite game ever at this point.

Damn it... Oh well, I've got enough to play anyway, but that is a bummer. My system is up to snuff, and it was going to be a Day 1 purchase for PC.
Same here. My 3070ti has basically been on the backburner since I got my PS5 last year.

I completely forgot about this. What a bummer, I was looking forward to doing some co-op with my friends. Oh well, PS5 it is then.

Well that should keep you occupied for a while! Red Dead 2 is a pretty amazing experience. I've been meaning to replay it for a while now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, Elden Ring's producer (Kitao) said in an interview a few days ago that the RCE issue has been resolved for Elden Ring:

Source: https://www.gamerbraves.com/elden-r...overtuned-for-beta-and-more-in-new-interview/

How have the recent server issues with the Dark Souls games affected the development of Elden Ring?​

Kitao: First of all, we want to take this opportunity to apologize to you and our players for this inconvenience, and we greatly appreciate all of the information and feedback that have been shared regarding this issue. We want players to rest assured that the issue has been addressed in regard to Elden Rings release. And this is not going to be an issue when the game launches at the end of this month. For the Dark Souls series, the development environment will need some time to set up and to address in that sense. So we’re again, we apologize for the inconvenience there, but Elden Ring had to take top priority to ensure that we had those security measures in place and to ensure our players could go in with no extra worries.

Translation? Wait and see :shrug:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
For what it's worth, Elden Ring's producer (Kitao) said in an interview a few days ago that the RCE issue has been resolved for Elden Ring:

Source: https://www.gamerbraves.com/elden-r...overtuned-for-beta-and-more-in-new-interview/

Translation? Wait and see :shrug:
Yeah I'll honestly still be getting it PC to start with because we have multiple people in the house playing it across the PS5 and PS4 we have so it'll be easier for me to have it on my own PC. Will probably just play in offline mode for a day or two and see if the issue is really resolved. Also, from what I heard, it hasn't actually been used maliciously yet, just tested by a guy proving it exists so he could send the info to From. It's possible not many people know how to utilize it either way.

Griffith

Well, I've pre-ordered my copy for PS5 and procured an extra long HDMI cable so I can connect it to the computer monitor when necessary, and it looks great. Conflict resolved. =)

This game is probably going to be the first game in a long time I've gotten on release day. Elden Ring should be a very satisfying experience, especially after having played every other Souls game. I just need to find the time to play it.

Griffith

It's happening, skeleton! :SK:

I'm not taking PTO for it, but I'm preloaded with my PS5 hooked up to the TV and a backup monitor in the office and plan on getting a good night's sleep tonight (unless my kid or Horizon II say otherwise) in order to run deficits in that regard all weekend.

Did anybody register a New Zealand account to buy and play the game 19 hours early? =)

BTW, why does FROM even offer Deluxe Editions? Digital artbook? Soundtrack? An in-game gesture and armor you can get later anyway (plus, who the hell cares)? It's like so clearly not their bag and just mandated by modern corporate gaming practices (you gotta offer a $20 more expensive edition for people that will automatically buy the most expensive edition). I do appreciate that it's so un-enticing that there's absolutely no practical temptation to purchase it or regret not doing so, but it's still bizarre when they push it front and center with the awesome cover but it's the equivalent of, "For an extra third of the cost of the game we'll also give you NOTHING desirable in the game (like future DLC access), but we will send you a dog turd in the mail. Correction: Digital Dog Turd."

Didn't the DS3 SE have a statue or something?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Did anybody register a New Zealand account to buy and play the game 19 hours early? =)

Would that work? The game unlocks tomorrow at midnight for me. Unfortunately not going to be able to put too much time into it until Friday evening.

BTW, why does FROM even offer Deluxe Editions? Digital artbook? Soundtrack? An in-game gesture and armor you can get later anyway (plus, who the hell cares)? It's like so clearly not their bag and just mandated by modern corporate gaming practices (you gotta offer a $20 more expensive edition for people that will automatically buy the most expensive edition). I do appreciate that it's so un-enticing that there's absolutely no practical temptation to purchase it or regret not doing so, but it's still bizarre when they push it front and center with the awesome cover but it's the equivalent of, "For an extra third of the cost of the game we'll also give you NOTHING desirable in the game (like future DLC access), but we will send you a dog turd in the mail. Correction: Digital Dog Turd."

Didn't the DS3 SE have a statue or something?

There's a physical deluxe edition with a statue, but yeah the digital one really isn't very interesting. Then again, I think the last collector's edition that was enticing to me was Samus Returns on the 3DS (European edition, not US), and it sold out instantly so I never got it.:shrug:

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
I'm gonna wait for it to drop first before I buy it. Haven't touched my Series X in a few months, so I'm excited that there's looking to be a game to change that.

Top Bottom