Episode 187

fletch

Treading trodden trails for a long, long time.
we have what some would call a failure to communicate, so here's my feeble effort to remedy the situation. it's kinda half-assed, since i'm lazy, so bear with me.

OK, so...

Guts is heading towards Elfhelm (I think that's how it's called?... strange... anyway, according to Puck, it's an utopia located on an island in the western ocean... so we'll _finally_ see the ocean in Berserk... I was waiting for that) and is protecting Casca by fighting specters on a daily basis.
But being with Casca also reminds him of his life among the Hawk Soldiers, and Puck is worried about him...

In one of Guts' dreams, a beast appears, surrounded by flames, and talks to him.
"Why aren't you chasing Griffith? Casca is nothing more than "remains", now, so how would she be more important than him? She matters to you only because she's a "wound" left to you by Griffith. You need her so that you can still feel that "pain"."
The beast bites Casca's neck.
"By doing so, you'll be more and more connected with Griffith... That's what you're wishing for."

Guts wakes up. An Incubus was responsible for that dream. "That's not true... That can't be true."

Please keep in mind that I haven't seen the episode yet... There may be some mistakes, and the "quotes" aren't quotes but paraphrases.

that's oliver's summary of chapter 187 [187th Episode Millennium Falcon Part Chapter of the Holy-Evil War Chronicle Winter Journey (1)], for those of you just tuning in.

-----

to further summarize the posts from mk II, as it shall be known:

oh dear, the angst of the situation!

i don't like angst, i like violence!

SEA MONSTERS TO MAKE WHOPPEE WITH CASKA!

... you know, i really thought i'd be able to make more than 3 pseudo witty comments that pertain to 187, but there were really only those 3 topics to quip on, at least so far as berserk goes. oh well. talk amongst yourselves.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Chapter 187 mk. III

Im scanning it as I post this. Very cool chapter, though not as eventful as I thought it would be...Itll be up soon. Ill put the link here before I put it on the main page, so keep an eye out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Theres no sea monsters yet :) This chapter takes place in snow, while still on land.

i read too much into a previous discussion about how Miura will draw the sea and the sea monsters and disregarded your "preview" for alittle while... :-[
sorry bout that...

The dialogue with the beast is really cool. I can have this translated pretty soon (though I'm sure you guys have heard *that* before ;) )

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Terribly sorry about the lateness of this...I had computer trouble, and had to use my GF's scanner. Anyway, its here.

http://www.skullknight.net/manga/187/187main.html

CnC

Ad Oculos

I liked this one... had some humor in an otherwise "dark" time.
However I already know the next chapter:
"Gattsu gets frostbite for being in that freezing cold river" that was a little detail that doesn't make too much sense.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

This was just a really nice issue depth wise.  I really appreciated page 8 and especially the beast of shadow, I like how he kept getting more and more ominous until…(just in case your reading this before seeing the issue like a dumbass, I did) I can’t wait to see what he had to say, but I will.
I liked this one... had some humor in an otherwise "dark" time.
However I already know the next chapter:
"Gattsu gets frostbite for being in that freezing cold river"  that was a little detail that doesn't make too much sense.
That wasn’t so unbelievable (especially since it’s Guts were talking about), ever hear of the Polar Bear Club?

-Griffith

P.S. SNOWMEN! FUCKING YES!!!

nm... don't dwell on it while you could be working on translations

Well, okay :)
Speaking of which, I sent a basically done draft to Olivier to look at. Depending on when he can get to it, I'll upload it(or rather, Walter will).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

When was the last time Guts encountered the beast?  Guts didn't seem too surprised by its appearance..
Volume 17 was the last appearance. In Godo's cave. I dont think he should be too suprised...

Notice how it has drastically changed form. Interesting.

I have my doubts that it's shape change will affect anything...I believe its shape is somewhat reflected in Guts' emotional state. When Guts was in the mine, his mind was on Casca, how he'd failed, etc. Now, he's simply sleeping, and the beast is basically provoking him, or so it seems. Notice how when Guts begins to protest, the Beast gets larger....hm.
Just my little thought on the matter.

M

Majin_Gatsu

I thought this episode was relaxing (relatively speaking).  Caska and Gatsu looked very cute together, and the moment when he wipes her mouth seemed like a very tender moment to me.  Of course, I couldn't really read any of the Japanese  :p, but the visual feeling I got seemed to insinuate a big change with Caska soon  :eek:...

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider

It's definetly a breather, this one.
How he recalls caskas golden days, and I felt such pity, seeing them togheter, both handicapped like that. Sometimes I wonder why doesn't Gatsu just say "fuck it all" and goes living with caska in some faraway tropical island.
Then again, who's gonna butcher griffis's pretty face?
A very pleasant chapter, even tough without a translation it is just a bunch of nice pictures.
But we true berserk fans have developed the ability to understand the very pictures and the meaning of dialogues without knowing what it actually means,right? I mean, since 1996m you develop this extrasensorial perception about japanese, being the oldest... ;D

magoamoth

Please... my egg... don't do anything to it... pro

Sleep well little Casca, "big brother" Gatts is protecting you from monsters under your warm bed ;)

Thx Walter for this quite slow and nice chapter ( first pages: Gatts vs Snowmen make me laughing)

It is quite weird to see SK' s hilarious face near to thoses of Gatts, Casca and Beast of shadows... :p (but I totally agree with you)
Puck's seeking on his own country is strange, can someone explain what he exactly says?

As I said in the begining: sleep well, little Casca, Onee-chan cares about you. Nothing will hurt you when you are quietly sleeping (cute in't she??!!)

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider

Oh yea walter, wasn't enough putting just the logo?
That skullknight pic makes everything a bit "odd".
At least put it near scenes where gatsu isn't serious... :)
But anything's ok...as long as we get to see our hero

Top Bottom