Episode 223

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Uriel said:
He's just so regal and honourable, he talks in 3rd person. Simple.

That's it! What do you say about that Saiki?

And wasn't it already established that Zodd was an apostle? I thought the little chat between him and Wyald had proven that beyond any doubt.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Mizar said:

And wasn't it already established that Zodd was an apostle? I thought the little chat between him and Wyald had proven that beyond any doubt.

Though I do think Zodd is probably an apostle, there is nothing about him that has been "proven beyond any doubt" besides the fact that he's big, ugly, and strong.

You've got to ask why did he kill Wyald? Is it likely that Godhand would have appeared to him and instructed him to do so? Do regular apostles even serve Godhand? It seems that Zoddo's actions were motivated by assuring Griffith reached the occultation. either for the purpose of serving Godhand or Griffith. With other apostles it seems more as though Godhand is merely something they must tolerate in order to retain their power.

At the occultation they were just waiting for Godhand to give them to initiative to slaughter, eat, and rape the hawks. Zoddo was compelled to do none of this, partly, I'm sure, because he knew Skully would appear and he wished to challenge his old foe, but also I think that Zoddo has none of the other drives apostles have. Every other apostle we've seen (with the exception of the Beherit apostle) has an insatiable desire for human flesh (both to eat and to violate), or a desire for power of some kind. They seem to be unable to do anything but gorge their senses. Zoddo, on the other hand, seeks only the strong. This is incredibly uncharacteristic of apostles. It's almost as if he alone (untill the introduction of Grunbeld, Locus, and perhaps Irvine) has the will to overcome his nature and pursue something he believes is greater than himself.

Does this mean he isn't an apostle? No, not nessesarily, but he and the new Hawks are definately not normal apostles.

This is why it wouldn't surprise me if Grunbeld were to really dissasociate himself from regular apostles.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Wereallmad said:
Though I do think Zodd is probably an apostle, there is nothing about him that has been "proven beyond any doubt" besides the fact that he's big, ugly, and strong.​
I think this proves everything beyond doubt that he is an apostle.

vol22-zodd.jpg

Mizar said:

Grunbeld - I would like you to let me be this one's opponent
Gutz - "A giant...!!?"
Zodd - Grunbeld...hmph, very well
Grunbeld - I thank you
Grunbeld - I have heard about you. The black knight who hunts the apostle's. Even though you are human, you were able to survive the eclipse.
Grunbeld - Whatever kind of witch she may be, to attack an old one living in these peaceful woods with such a great number is far from an honorable thing for a warrior to do. But to prove my loyaty to the hawk, I asked that I be allowed to be assigned to this mission...

I don't really see how he's talking in 3rd person........

And Zodd is an apostle btw. Zodd pretty much says this in vol13 when he's fighting Skully.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Saiki said:
I don't really see how he's talking in 3rd person........

Hmm.. I thought he was talking more like the Hulk or something. Like "Grunbeld is going to smash you!", "Grunbeld thanks you". That's 3rd person.

He's literally saying "This Grunbeld is going to blah blah...." all the time, and I thought that would not be translated as "I" (wouldn't he say "ore", or "watashi", instead?), but as "Grunbeld". Since you're Japanese, could you please explain this to Mizar? ;)

I translated those as "I" bcuz Grunbeld has used "watashi" b4.(look in vol23).
And if I were to translate it properly, i should be something like

Grunbeld - I, Grunbeld, would like you to let me be this one's opponent
Gutz - "A giant...!!?"
Zodd - Grunbeld...hmph, very well
Grunbeld - thank you
Grunbeld - I have heard about you. The black knight who hunts the apostle's. Even though you are human, you were able to survive the eclipse.
Grunbeld - Whatever kind of witch she may be, to attack an old one living in these peaceful woods with such a great number is far from an honorable thing for a warrior to do. But to prove my loyaty to the hawk, I asked that I be allowed to be assigned to this mission...

and on the next page when he challenges Gutz to a one on one duel, he says

I, Grunbeld, a warrior of the band of hawks, challenge you to a one on one duel.

So either way, he's not talking in 3rd person. Plus the fact that he doesn't talk that way in vol23

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Ok, thanks Saiki, I see what you mean now.

But still, saying that he heard that Guts is the black swordsman who's been hunting down apostles doesn't have to imply anything about Grunbeld himself. He just says what he heard, that there's a man who hunts down apostles. I don't see the necessity to say "us apostles" if Grunbeld is indeed an apostle himself.

For example, let's say I'm a cop. And I've heard stories about a man who's been hunting down and killing all cops in the world. Now I meet this man, and I say: "So you're the man who's been killing all the cops?"
Now you want to tell me I couldn't have said this to him since I'm a cop myself?

Jesus Christ I think you are mad.
"I have heard about you. The black knight who hunts the apostle's"

Second sentence serves as an adjective to the "you" of the first. It doesn't matter if he says "us" or not, it's the same thing exactly over here. He could have said "us" but it will sound rather complicated* and long* as a frase you announce in a moment of real action: a real duel ready to begin. They don't perform Shekspire on a theater stage, they are about and anticipating to smash one's other's heads.

*thus unrealistic

Bsides it's:
"Salve Ceaser, i moritori tua ts saluta"
and not
"Salve Ceaser, "us", i moritori tua ti saluta"

And even more this is somewhat theatrical you know on the stage of Colloseum.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
It is "Ave Cesare, morituri te salutant" "Hail o Caesar the ones that are about to die salute you". But in that case not everyone would die , only the losers and sometimes at them too could be granted their life if the Caesar was in a good mood. however I too think that even if Grunbeld has not said "us" doesn't mean that he is not an apostle. That said... he really could not be an apostle ( the kind created by the beherit that is)

roberto999 said:
It is "Ave Cesare, morituri te salutant" "Hail o Caesar the ones that are about to die salute you". But in that case not everyone would die , only the losers and sometimes at them too could be granted their life if the Caesar was in a good mood. however I too think that even if Grunbeld has not said "us" doesn't mean that he is not an apostle. That said... he really could not be an apostle ( the kind created by the beherit that is)

When I saw your name in the panel as last post of the thread I knew I was gona to see that.

puella

Berserk forever
Though we can't be sure yet whether Grunbeld is an apostle or not, I think it would be so interesting if some of Griffith's minions are not apostles but only human beings. :)

*** But I personally think Grunbeld is an apostle.

well considering the overall abundance of apostles, it really doesnt seem that far-fetched that all of griff's new friends are infact apostles.

and regarding the sentence in question, the major subject of the sentence is guts, its not grunbeld or the apostles.
think of it as grunbeld is addressing guts with a title "The Black Swordsman who hunts apostles" kinda like "The Black Swordsman: The Apostle Hunter" or "King Charles the great"
grunbeld seems to be semi-honorable, and titles were important in the days of old, granted this is only a fiction tale taking place in a quasi-medieval era

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Hey! There's some of my favorite guys...;) Irvine, Rakshas, Moonlight Knight Locus...can't forget MH Griff there...sighhhhhhhhhhh

LG

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
krebs4life said:
well considering the overall abundance of apostles, it really doesnt seem that far-fetched that all of griff's new friends are infact apostles.

and regarding the sentence in question, the major subject of the sentence is guts, its not grunbeld or the apostles.
think of it as grunbeld is addressing guts with a title "The Black Swordsman who hunts apostles" kinda like "The Black Swordsman: The Apostle Hunter" or "King Charles the great"
grunbeld seems to be semi-honorable, and titles were important in the days of old, granted this is only a fiction tale taking place in a quasi-medieval era

Or Guts the Lion-Hearted

King Gaiseric= Julius Caesar

LG

G

Genn21

Olivier Hague said:
'Doesn't mean anything, really... ^^;

Hey maybe he isnt a apostle but just another hard ass. Jhesh the mere existance of gut's tells us how strong a man can be in miura's world if he put's his mind to it. Then again if he was an apostle that would'nt suprise the masses either.

korkor

I could be a llama
a) if his not an apostole how would he know of the eclipse?
b) why would other apostoles be in contact with him?

plus everytime they show his face im reminded of the snake count :p

P

psymont

korkor said:
plus everytime they show his face im reminded of the snake count :p

you stole the words right out of my fingers ....
i think its the eyes ....
also his open faced helmet ....
i feel a big transformation coming on ....

Top Bottom