Episode 272

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
yah espcially wi hat big swerd d00d! :troll:

Yeah, I love our members that have nothing but the dregs of pop culture for reference, "Magic stuff? That's like LOTR... or FF, everything I know is from movies and video games, and that's all I have to say about it!"

Really, thanks, I didn't notice that superficial resemblance; I was actually paying attention to the story.

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
"Griffith No More!" said:
We get what your saying, and that's a cute scene (a favorite of mine as well), and it does reflect his mellowed state and newfound family relationship as Puck and Isidro both make fun of him... but, they were making fun of him, despite how profound the statement is in itself. =)

Of course they were sort of makng fun of him ;D. But the statement itself has a deeper meaning - evne if I doubt Puck & Isidro meant form it to be.

I think the act is more telling than the words, and his forming of intimate relationships again.

That's part of what I meant :).

As for the hair itself, that's something else open to interpretation, obviously Isidro and Puck got the ball rolling. But, unless it turned white directly as a result of coming out of the Beast state initially, it doesn't hold the same symbolic meaning outside that scene. If it's a result of the trauma from wearing the armor and becoming the Beast, then it could actually symbolize the opposite (though, you could also interpret that as sacrificing himself/his body for his friends). Keep in mind, the "slightly white swordsman" almost butchered his friends a few of episodes later. He's more Jekyll and Hyde now than White Knight on the whole. And if it's part of the side-effects Skully warned him about (not unlikely), it could ironically end up symbolizing the loss of his humanity (literally).

I wasn't talking of his hair specifically... Even if I like yourcomparison to him as a "Jekyll & Mr Hyde". And of course, the question of whenever he'll lose his humanity - and more, lose to his dark aside - as Dr Jekyll did, is of course in important one...

Walter said:
You guys' experience with fantasy stuff must not be much more than Final Fantasy then... I don't see any chocobos.

You mean Golden chocobos?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Dark Wanderer said:
Of course they were sort of makng fun of him  ;D. But the statement itself has a deeper meaning - evne if I doubt Puck & Isidro meant form it to be.

Okay, you just quoted what I wrote about what you wrote and wrote it again in your own words. I think this means we should stop now. =)

Dark Wanderer said:
That's part of what I meant :).

That's part of what I meant too :).

Dark Wanderer said:
I wasn't talking of his hair specifically... ...

No, but that's the point, you were originally saying people should notice Guts has changed because of what Isidro and Puck said. The problem is, for that to work, the scene would either have to exist in a vacuum (like in your quote, for example), or, in a different context altogether, like Puck and Isidro reacting to something Guts did, or a specific conversation about his personality. But, in the story, that scene alone doesn't establish his change (other then his appearance), his change itself establishes that context in the scene, so it wouldn't tell you much unless you understood the difference in his character to begin with. If one didn't know better, they'd just think it was a joke about his hair, because that's all it is in the context of the scene itself, whereas it means more in the bigger picture (a nice little touch by Miura). That's all we've been trying to say, not that we disagree about the implications of the moment, just how it reads, objectively.

Dark Wanderer said:
Even if I like yourcomparison to him as a "Jekyll & Mr Hyde". And of course, the question of whenever he'll lose his humanity - and more, lose to his dark aside - as Dr Jekyll did, is of course in important one...

Of course, and thank you for explaining what I said to me again. =)

Top Bottom