Episode 277

Status
Not open for further replies.

egg of the king

Mort pour Rien
I know I'm a bit late in sayign this, and it's been said countless times before, but man this was an amazing episode!
An alliance, although temporary, between Guts and Zodd; the feelings such a thing conjures up in my soul are nothing less than palpable.

Now, for some speculative questions: Will Guts and Zodd simply part ways after they get up from crashing into the dock area? Or, will they have a few more choice words for eachother?

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
Aazealh said:
Hmm I don't think it will personally.

I'm not sure I get what you mean here. Ganishka projects his astral body on the fog basically, is that what you're wondering?
Actually, what I'm wondering is if he's going to have to rely on something besides his projection of the fog using magic. If he's going to have to use some other type of power he has privy to.

Then again, I also wonder if he's going to rely on power through his army rather than his own magic(for now)

egg of the king

Mort pour Rien
Aazealh said:
The interesting and novel part in all of this though is that the Dragon Slayer seems to be able to reach the deeper end of the Interstice, in the purely astral world. That's how it could damage him. This makes for some interesting possibilities in the future.

So, speculating, of course: Do you think his DS has then a chance of being a weapon powerful enough to harm Griffith in both worlds?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Blue Daemon said:
Will Guts and Zodd simply part ways after they get up from crashing into the dock area? Or, will they have a few more choice words for eachother?

Apart from telling each other off and Zodd letting them go "just this time," Guts and the group could get away while Zodd's still stunned by his landing, or he might simply have more pressing things to do (with the big army appearance, whichever it might be). Or all of this combined.

C. Walken said:
Actually, what I'm wondering is if he's going to have to rely on something besides his projection of the fog using magic. If he's going to have to use some other type of power he has privy to. Then again, I also wonder if he's going to rely on power through his army rather than his own magic(for now)

I think he has a few more tricks up his sleeve (remember the Kundalini?), associated to his magic or not. The fog seems to be his main card for now though. Unfortunately for him I don't think his armies can beat the Neo Hawks, no matter how numerous they are, but that doesn't mean he's not relying on them or won't in the future, if only to fight against human troops like those of the Holy See alliance.

The Blue Daemon said:
Do you think his DS has then a chance of being a weapon powerful enough to harm Griffith in both worlds?

Yes, I think so. However while I can't tell about his material body, I don't believe it would really damage him seriously in the astral world because of how immensely powerful he probably is (Slan didn't seem to mind at all). But I think it would affect him. Of course between now and the time such a fight happens, things will have changed.

egg of the king

Mort pour Rien
Am I totally missing somehting, or when did Gut's armor get ripped off off his right forearm??? You can see clearly there's no armor on page 9.
I seem to remember that the Berserker armour covered all the way to the finger tips...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Blue Daemon said:
Am I totally missing somehting, or when did Guts armor get ripped off off his right forearm??? You can see clearly there's no armor on page 9.

The parts protecting his arms retract themselves just like the helmet does when the armor "deactivates." And of course they come out when it activates. Re-read the volumes from 28 onward, it's clearly shown, several times.

[quote author=xbigvmanx] Here ya go
http://www.photosleeve.com/gallery2/d/200770-2/277-16-17.jpg
[/quote]
This has to be one of the best spreads of Guts in action. Zodd's presence just made it twice as badass. ;]

S

Stellgod

For some reason, I can't help but think about the larger picture. It's probably pure speculation, but I could see this as another cornerstone or founding block for resentment, and by that I mean Griffith's resentment towards Guts. Could Guts possibly steal away Griffith's greatest generals?! (Probably not but it was nice and dramatic all the same), but all in all. I still see this as having lingering and long term effects on Griffith and his new Hawks. I can see it form in lots of different streams and pathways in my mind, but until more information is divulged I think I'll hold back on my speculations.

First time posting too. Even though I have been mooching all of your awesome scans and translations for a good while now.  :guts:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Wow. I don't even have any spec to add to this. Tomorrow is me coloring that spread. Tonight I am dead from the awesome.

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Stellgod said:
Could Guts possibly steal away Griffith's greatest generals?! (Probably not but it was nice and dramatic all the same), but all in all.

No it's clear it will never happen, i think the rivalry between guts and zodd is too big and Zodd can surely sacrifice himself for griffith so.....
Zodd can be everything but not a traitor

Nosferatu

BERSERK
So Ganishka can transformed and/or can project himself into fog???  The very first time Ganishka transformed he got shot with an arrow by Irvin which went through him and then Ganishka transformed into fog instantly.  He wasn't sitting in a bean bag far away.  Is this right, or am I missing something?  Can he do both?

EDIT: Now that I think about it. The real Ganishka was most likely never there in the first place. He was in his fog form from the beginning, and Locus and party didn't even know it. Miura's a genius. :miura:

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Nosferatubeast said:
So Ganishka can transformed and/or can project himself into fog???

With the search function you can find your answer because it's says many times but i will answer

he project himself via magic, it's not the ganishka's apostle form

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't think that's what he was getting at, but this is interesting regardless...

Nosferatubeast said:
Now that I think about it. The real Ganishka was most likely never there in the first place. He was in his fog form from the beginning, and Locus and party didn't even know it. Miura's a genius.

Or, perhaps had this happened at the castle he would have also returned to the balcony from which he transformed/projected from. And since Ganishka projected/transformed from his beanbag this time, he was thus returned to it (especially given the forced nature of that return). Deep, man. :badbone:

Also, interesting to note that he was naked given that he was wearing clothes the last time he... fogged up, so to speak. Did he start naked this time in some planned setting, or if he indeed becomes one with the fog, can he turn his clothes into fog but not the other way around ("I haven't quite figured that part out yet"). :guts:

And it could also be any number of other possibilities outside and inbetween, whatever the case, Ganishka's mist is certainly... intangible. =)

Anyway, more importantly, could part of the reason Ganishka was telling the guards to keep away be because the proud Emperor hadn't planned on showing them his wee-wee? :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Stellgod said:
First time posting too. Even though I have been mooching all of your awesome scans and translations for a good while now.

Hey well, welcome then. :serpico:

Nosferatubeast said:
So Ganishka can transformed and/or can project himself into fog???

It's not impossible that he can do both, though from the new information we have it seems more likely the figure that Irvine shot in Wyndham was already just an illusion made of fog (something I speculated about in the past, haha!). So currently I'd lean toward the conclusion you reached in your postscript.

"Griffith No More!" said:
Or, perhaps had this happened at the castle he would have also returned to the balcony from which he transformed/projected from. And since Ganishka projected/transformed from his beanbag this time, he was thus returned to it (especially given the forced nature of that return).

But that doesn't really work with the way Schierke explained things, and the way we've seen magic work so far. Ganishka is supposed to project his astral body into the fog, so in all logic his physical body should remain motionless and empty, in a trance, just like Schierke's does. That explains the guards as well, protecting his exposed self (he better have some serious security there though, otherwise my old theory of Rakshas sneaking in and slitting his throat will end up being true). Of course we can't say it's impossible that he completely transforms into fog, but at this point it'd surprise me if that was what he did this time.

Did he start naked this time in some planned setting

I think it's just so he can get "in the mood." :carcus:

Anyway, more importantly, could part of the reason Ganishka was telling the guards to keep away be because the proud Emperor hadn't planned on showing them his Wii-Wii?

I bet he would have strangled them with it had they intruded. :ganishka:

D

Death Can Wait

I'm wondering if Ganishka is going to have a nice big round dot in the center of his forehead now or if that was just a small pain. I didn't know what to think of the Fog form, but I was leaning for projection just from the fact there are several clear times it appears and "he" is apparently not in the vacinity. I do wonder if that is his most powerful magic or just the easiest ways for him to get done from afar though.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
It's not impossible that he can do both, though from the new information we have it seems more likely the figure that Irvine shot in Wyndham was already just an illusion made of fog (something I speculated about in the past, haha!). So currently I'd lean toward the conclusion you reached in your postscript.

Yeah, I was going to mention it seemed like almost two seperate events (or, at least events we've only gotten to see one half of, beginning or end).

Aazealh said:
But that doesn't really work with the way Schierke explained things, and the way we've seen magic work so far. Ganishka is supposed to project his astral body into the fog, so in all logic his physical body should remain motionless and empty, in a trance, just like Schierke's does. That explains the guards as well, protecting his exposed self (he better have some serious security there though, otherwise my old theory of Rakshas sneaking in and slitting his throat will end up being true). Of course we can't say it's impossible that he completely transforms into fog, but at this point it'd surprise me if that was what he did this time.

I knew you'd haunt me with Schierke. =)

I just don't know at this point, I'm trying to think of alternatives to the fake body idea, though I don't have a problem with that, particularly (I don't have a strong feeling either way, other than it's magic =). BUT, I wasn't saying he really transforms into fog, but some bullshit inbetween, maybe differently from how Schierke does things and interprets them.

We can only guess until Miura enlightens us.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
That explains the guards as well, protecting his exposed self (he better have some serious security there though, otherwise my old theory of Rakshas sneaking in and slitting his throat will end up being true). :

Wow, that would have to be my Ganishka death fantasy scene. I only wish that would really happen in the manga, but its a longshot.

C

cajunman380

Greetings to all, well i just want to say this episode proves to me that miura must have had a divine intervention in his life because it is.........i just cannot express my emotion in mere words. :guts: <-- that face will have to do...

Well this episode brings up some serious questions in my mind. The DS is now shown to be a weapon that can seriously harm beings in the astral plane. And Guts was able to do something that Zodd nor a horde of apostles could do alone.... I wonder if Zodd will inform Griffith of this? If he does, what will the reactions among the leading generals be... (Grunbeld?) i mean i don't think Guts intervention this time can be overlooked by Griffith. The nobels will be talking about him, some of the generals will speak of him. And no doubt Owen will ask of him. Will Griffith even allow guts to leave? i mean Guts and co are going to Elfhelm a place full of witches which Griffith must consider as a great danger..
SO many possibilities.

As for speculation i think we may see Silat in the next Kushan encounter that Guts and his group have.. why do i think that. well we saw that his Bakiraka clan is trying to get recognition and Silat happens to be familiar with th Black Swordsman and he might see this as a chance to redeem himself and his clan. This is assuming Ganishka is hellbent on Guts destruction..

It was mentioned here about the effects that the DS had on Slan. well to put my two cents on it Slan seems to be the type that loves pain and gets off on it. The point was and as guts mentioned to Schierke after that his sword was strong enough to cause the god hand member to lose her form. It wouldn't be surprising if he could harm them to some degree. but the fact is that Guts will still need more advantages. its one thing to have a weapon but its pointless if you cant hit the enemy with it as the team up here shows. without Zodd's help there is no way that guts could have landed that strike.

oh, and I've been told from on high that your spelling was off for "Ganishka" and "Bakiraka". Watch your spelling (theres a button to check it even) or the gods of sk.net will strike you down

well its sort of the first time i use both words in a commentary (plus they are kinda hard to spell) so my spelling might be off on it. i appreciate the heads up but spell checker doesnt pick up on the mispellings of character names. I fixed it anyways so that i may be spared from the gods wrath (please dont smite me :isidro:)

CnC

Ad Oculos
cajunman380 said:
The DS is now shown to be a weapon that can seriously harm beings in the astral plane. And Guts was able to do something that zodd nor a horde of apostles could do alone....

Well, in this instance Guts needed help to do it, as well. It wasn't a solo effort.

:guts: :zodd: :schierke: > :ganishka:

oh, and I've been told from on high that your spelling was off for "Ganishka" and "Bakiraka". Watch your spelling (theres a button to check it even) or the gods of sk.net will strike you down

I must say, the ability to download the latest episode scans is a great perk of being a new SK.net member! Miura-sensei is in great form here, what with his exquisite shading and tone work. Transformed Zodd is particularly well-rendered, and the 2-page spread is awesome in both composition and final impact.

As for the content, just a few things to note. First, I find it a bit curious that Zodd apparently does not receive any exact instructions from Griffith on how to deal with Ganishka's fog form; from all that we've seen, he's just sent in with the aerial corps with no weapon to use other than his own body. Perhaps he's expected to just follow his orders here, but I cannot believe that Griffith would so willingly waste one of his best fighters. This begs the question of how much Griffith knows and what tactic he is employing. I suppose some of the mystery will be lifted, perhaps as soon as the next episode, but until then, I'm very curious and even a little puzzled with the narrative direction.

But hey, we've got a great epi with a surprising Zodd/Guts partnership, and that brings me to my second comment. When Sonja is saying her spiel to Zodd, the reference to animal vs human seems like it could apply more to Guts' perception of Zodd than the other way around. I do not mean to say that Guts and Zodd will suddenly accept each other and become buddies, because the notion is rather ridiculous; however, I do believe that Guts has a grudging respect for Zodd and perhaps recognizes more of the "human" in him than he would care to admit to himself. This idea plays in with some of the episode's visual cues, most obviously the preview panel in which we see a rather human-looking Zodd, features obscured while the monstrous pauldron faces outward. Zodd's humorous reaction to Sonja is also somewhat humanizing, and of course there's the parallelism with Guts, in which even the episode title could refer to both warriors. Interesting.

Oh, and in the last panel, Ganishka's expression and "Onore!" show that he's definitely pissed. We are going to see a lot more of him....

hmm...i think it would be interesting if, after seeing Guts intervene at the banquet, Owen decided to ask Griffith about him, or at least make some off hand mention of how one of Griffith's commanders, the Raid Leader(or something), saved them...or maybe he'll send word to Raban about the events that transpired (Raban's awesome...just because). Still, i don't know how plausible all of this is...

Speaking of which, in the Neo-Hawks, who is Guts's replacement? Grunbeld?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
We can only guess until Miura enlightens us.

Indeed. Makes me all the more eager to know!

cajunman380 said:
The DS is now shown to be a weapon that can seriously harm beings in the astral plane. And Guts was able to do something that Zodd nor a horde of apostles could do alone...

"Seriously" is a big word, it's not like Ganishka's going to die from this. However what's important is that now we know the DS can harm someone's spirit even without having to directly harm their physical body. That's the difference between this incident and the one with Slan. Also, this victory over Ganishka was really the result of an equal team-up between Guts and Zodd, you can't attribute it to Guts only, like CnC said. If anything, Zodd did most of the work.

cajunman380 said:
Will Griffith even allow guts to leave? i mean Guts and co are going to Elfhelm a place full of witches which Griffith must consider as a great danger..

You're assuming he has the power to stop him, and that he knows what Guts is currently doing and where he plans on going. That's a lot of unknown factors here, not to mention the Child inside of him. I think that if he does learn about it, it will be too late to do anything.

cajunman380 said:
As for speculation i think we may see Silat in the next Kushan encounter that Guts and his group have.. why do i think that. well we saw that his Bakiraka clan is trying to get recognition and Silat happens to be familiar with th Black Swordsman and he might see this as a chance to redeem himself and his clan.

Well the next Kushan encounter outside of Vritannis could be in quite a while... Something like after they come back from Elfhelm. Silat and the Bakiraka don't seem to be part of this attack. They've also been sort of demoted by Ganishka, remember? And then they witnessed his true nature, so they might not be pursuing the same goals anymore.

cajunman380 said:
The point was and as guts mentioned to Schierke after that his sword was strong enough to cause the god hand member to lose her form. It wouldn't be surprising if he could harm them to some degree.

Once again, don't go overboard. The sword has some potency, but it's still far from being a serious threat from what we've seen.

Exegy said:
I find it a bit curious that Zodd apparently does not receive any exact instructions from Griffith on how to deal with Ganishka's fog form; from all that we've seen, he's just sent in with the aerial corps with no weapon to use other than his own body.

Who said Griffith knew about how to deal with Ganishka though? Or even that he would be there? For all we know, Zodd may have decided to participate in the attack on his own. And besides him, around twenty apostles were fried in there without achieving anything, I'm having trouble believing that's part of an elaborate strategy. Other than that, I don't think Griffith would really be worried about Zodd in any case, he knows what he's capable of (and he's got Sonia to tell him what the future holds anyway).

Exegy said:
When Sonja is saying her spiel to Zodd, the reference to animal vs human seems like it could apply more to Guts' perception of Zodd than the other way around.

It applies to both, but primarily to Zodd's perception of Guts in her speech. She just says at the end that Guts will wonder the same things.

Exegy said:
I do believe that Guts has a grudging respect for Zodd and perhaps recognizes more of the "human" in him than he would care to admit to himself.

If anything I think Guts considers Zodd as the ultimate monster, and maybe even as his worst enemy apart from Griffith (and the God Hand?). He's even had nightmares about him.

Exegy said:
This idea plays in with some of the episode's visual cues, most obviously the preview panel in which we see a rather human-looking Zodd, features obscured while the monstrous pauldron faces outward.

I'm not sure that's related honestly.

Exegy said:
even the episode title could refer to both warriors.

Well it does. It's about their do-or-die desperate combined attack on Ganishka.

Malachai said:
i think it would be interesting if, after seeing Guts intervene at the banquet, Owen decided to ask Griffith about him [...]

Yes it would, but Owen might not be able to speak to Griffith directly or privately, or even have enough time to mention this. Other nobles could talk about it anyway, so I think it's definitely plausible that Griffith or someone from his army could hear about it. Besides Zodd has seen them so he already knows they've been involved.

Malachai said:
Speaking of which, in the Neo-Hawks, who is Guts's replacement? Grunbeld?

The Neo Hawks' organization isn't the same as the old band's, but in any case the answer would be Zodd.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Aazealh said:
If anything I think Guts considers Zodd as the ultimate monster, and maybe even as his worst enemy apart from Griffith (and the God Hand?). He's even had nightmares about him.

And partly about being like him, no?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
And partly about being like him, no?

Yep, after he killed Adonis. That being said and to prevent any confusion, I don't think it really connects to the current events as it was more about being afraid of becoming a monster himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom