Episode 285

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
thorshammer said:
So it may not be a cannon of events, but it helped bring a lot of people to the manga.
No one was arguing it wasn't a beacon to bring fans in. We're arguing that you shouldn't base any theories or beliefs on something that's not canon. End of story. Your argument was: "Well maybe not in the manga, but in the ANIME!" It's an utterly moot point. "Harry Potter's alive in J.K. Rowling's version... but not my fanfic!" See?

Was there something else? Maybe something a little less subtle? ... He says he appears briefly in a bubble at the beginning. Having no knowledge of the manga, I'm sure that went by as a "WTF?" at the time, not "There's Femto!"
Less subtle?? Dude, you really should review the scene. In the first episode of the anime, Femto appears with the other God Hand, then he appears before Guts, alone, wearing his blatant Femto/Griffith mask. Guts gets angry, screams "GRIFFFFFIIIIITTTTHHHHHH!!!!!!!" and.. end of scene. Pretty blatant allusion if you ask me. I honestly don't see how you could overlook it as simply "WTF."

But SK is still a little too mysterious for my tastes and there is a nearly endless story left to tell. Most of you guys are far more patient with the author than I am.
Clearly. Some of us have been following it episode by episode since 2000. You need to learn some patience. Also, your powers of observation don't really seem the sharpest of the group. A lot of what's already been revealed about Skull Knight may have just blown over your head.

thorshammer said:
Now what's with the Christianity bashing.....

I don't really see how that is Christianity "bashing"... In fact I never bashed anything in that statement. I was merely being absurd.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
thorshammer said:
It's lame in retrospect, but how would someone with little knowledge of Japanese popculture even know there was a Berserk manga?

Well, you're here now, it looks to me like you found out there's a manga.

He says (Femto) appears briefly in a bubble at the beginning. Having no knowledge of the manga, I'm sure that went by as a "WTF?" at the time, not "There's Femto!"

What were we talking about again? I thought you were saying there was no mention of Femto in the anime like there was in the manga. There is. In both, we meet Femto before we ever meet Griffith, and Femto is never mentioned again until Zodd foreshadows Griff's destiny, seeing his beherit. You're just supposed to remember Femto at that point.

Griffith talks about it several times including a dream sequence. Being only about 4 years ago now, I'm thinking that dream sequence may have even shown that he gets there sacrificing others (skulls/bones are shown under the road?).

When something is stated onscreen, that is not a hint or foreshadowing, that is plot. It is the plot that Griffith wants his own country, and it is also the plot that it's incredibly difficult for a common man to become king. And it's definitely the plot that he was doing well despite that difficulty, until he ruined his own plans by taking impulsive actions while he was upset over Guts leaving.

Now what's with the Christianity bashing.....

Don't let the fundies brainwash you, man. Kidding a little is not bashing. The times when faith required utter sanctity are long past. We're allowed to be a little jollier these days.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
thorshammer said:
The anime is what drew me to Berserk in the first place and without it, I wouldn't even know it existed. So it may not be a cannon of events, but it helped bring a lot of people to the manga. [...] It's lame in retrospect, but how would someone with little knowledge of Japanese popculture even know there was a Berserk manga?

That's not the point, this is irrelevant. We're talking about the story of Berserk here, and in that regard the animated series isn't a valuable source. I think we've made that clear enough now, and since nothing is going to change that fact I propose you stop bringing it up. Now that you know the manga is the only acceptable source, please refer to it.

thorshammer said:
No, the Hawks did. They made references at the ball about it. How he was changing and trying to fit in with the royalty, but that it didn't please everyone he was doing so. That seemed to make Guts really think he should go and his life was to go in a different direction.

I'm sorry but I don't think the Hawks made any reference to it at the ball. Not in the manga and not even in the anime. I have the feeling you're making assertions without actually verifying their veracity here. But in any case, what you're saying doesn't even refute what I told you (that Griffith didn't feel bad about being a commoner, which he technically wasn't since he was already knight at the time, when Guts defeated him and left). And the reason Guts left was because he wanted Griffith to consider him his equal, a true friend. It's got nothing to do with rising to nobility, it's about Griffith's old ideology, and it's the talk with Charlotte near the fountain that triggered it. He decided to leave after that but stayed with the Hawks until the end of the war and Griffith's triumph.

thorshammer said:
Griffith talks about it several times including a dream sequence. Being only about 4 years ago now, I'm thinking that dream sequence may have even shown that he gets there sacrificing others (skulls/bones are shown under the road?).

Wait a minute, are you telling us you haven't watched the anime in 4 years? Why are you even posting then? You're wasting everybody's time because you can't remember half of what you're talking about... And do you know what "foreshadow" means? Griffith said his ambition was to be king, how is that foreshadowing anything? It's just his dream, his words and wishes. You're also mistaken about the "dream sequence", my best guess is that you're referring to the vision Ubik showed him before the sacrifice, which given the time it happens doesn't apply to your point.

thorshammer said:
Without any further meddling, yes. Except he clearly wanted Charlotte as well. Whoever married her could cut him out if he didn't.

Did you read what I told you? All his enemies were dead, Foss was in his pocket, Charlotte was in love with him, and he had the favor of the king. All previous meddling, those originating from Julius, the head of the country's military, and later on the queen, failed. What makes you believe lesser people would succeed, in the hypothesis they'd try? Furthermore, the king wouldn't marry Charlotte to anyone, but since you haven't read the manga you can't know about it. Like I said, all Griffith needed was to wait for the king to die, naturally or not.

thorshammer said:
Regardless, there is clearly much that is different from the manga and the anime beyond just the characters.

Actually not a lot is different in the scenes of the anime that were kept. The differences come mostly from omitted or censored scenes, and the added parts with Adon (that are useless). Other than that it's basically a watered down version of the events in the manga.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
The manga is some underground cult following type thing?
Thats a good one...

And a rather poor exscuse for trying to make up for the fact that your talking about part of the story you havn't seen in canon-form.

All talk of "commoner" in the series at that point has to do with how not commoner they all are anymore.
Griffith is days away from becoming a general of a huge medival nation and is already a knight.
Why would he randomly have career-ruining, angsty sex about it then?

This is a little late, but something that's been bothering me ever since I read it about 4th time over. When the pontiff appears before the entire Holy See army, everyone kneels down and takes their helmet off (including Griffith, Charlotte, and even Locus), except for the rest of the Band of the Hawk. We see them dismount their horses, but on page 14 (the :isidro: scene) in the panel where Locus is smiling you can see the rest of the Band of the Hawk is still standing with their helmets on. It's a small thing, so it's not like I'm outraged over it or anything, but every time I re-read the episode it bugs me.

I'm sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, thorshammer's :troll: ing kinda threw me off.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yota821 said:
This is a little late, but something that's been bothering me ever since I read it about 4th time over. When the pontiff appears before the entire Holy See army, everyone kneels down and takes their helmet off (including Griffith, Charlotte, and even Locus), except for the rest of the Band of the Hawk. We see them dismount their horses, but on page 14 (the :isidro: scene) in the panel where Locus is smiling you can see the rest of the Band of the Hawk is still standing with their helmets on. It's a small thing, so it's not like I'm outraged over it or anything, but every time I re-read the episode it bugs me.

Well, there are several ways you can take it. First off, they might have been ready to defend themselves in case things turned wrong and thus were staying alert (least likely possibility to me). Second, more simply, having witnessed to some extent Griffith's greatness, they might not have deemed it necessary to kneel to someone else. Third, since we only see them standing on page 14, it might also be that they got up faster than the others and didn't bother to remove their helmets since they were already dismounting (and the helmets were probably strapped on since they had been fighting), or just couldn't properly kneel while staying the horses/holding the standards.

Yeah, I thought about most of those, and the last one sounds the most likely. It still kinda strikes me as odd every time I see it though.

thorshammer

I'm a llama!
jepn30 said:
I don't really see how that is Christianity "bashing"... In fact I never bashed anything in that statement. I was merely being absurd.

It's called sarcasm.

Some of you are wound pretty tightly. Too bad.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
We like being wound tightly, it keeps us lean and allows us to have amazing sex.

:guts: Seeing Guts again will be nice. I wonder what type of adventures the crew will have out at sea... :isidro:

Or who knows...perhaps they're already on the island :troll:

Either way I wanna see the Dragon Slayer fall down on a big sea monster :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
thorshammer said:
It's called sarcasm.

Some of you are wound pretty tightly. Too bad.

mjolnir.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jepn30 said:
Since sarcasm is heavily dependant on verbal inflection it is kind of hard to identify it in text.
Yeah, generally, internet sarcasm only works if it's recognizably funny. And here, well, not so much :guts:

Only a few more weeks until 286 :isidro:

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Yeah finally the episode is closer, i can't wait to see what happen in this episode.
Even with Guts or not in this episode :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Pesmerga said:
Yeah finally the episode is closer, i can't wait to see what happen in this episode.
Even with Guts or not in this episode :guts:
Rest assured, Miura made it pretty clear we'd be switching back to Guts' party.

Oni Shinigami said:
:guts: Seeing Guts again will be nice. I wonder what type of adventures the crew will have out at sea... :isidro:

I think everyone is with you on that. I've been reading the last 3 Dark Horse releases and I'm just gettin more and more psyched to see more of Azan. A) Everyone's reaction when they actually discover him after he wakes up. B)His banter with Serpico (idk if we'll see more of that tho), I'm sure Isidro will that that spot. C) Just the general notion of his joining the band makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Really looking foward to what he'll bring into the mix.

I really hope we stay on the boat for awhile (not too long obv., but long enough for let's say an evening of Guts coming clean to everyone about his past). What better an opportunity for this occasion than a long sea voyage.

Plus, totally outta left field, I wanna see the group fishing. :schierke: Idk why, that would be cool.

Any chance that Azan will inherit the elemental axe that Schierke had planned to give to Guts, since he's the only fighting member of the group that doesn't yet have an elemental weapon(excluding Casca, Magnifico, and Roderick)?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
oberatixx said:
Any chance that Azan will inherit the elemental axe that Schierke had planned to give to Guts, since he's the only fighting member of the group that doesn't yet have an elemental weapon(excluding Casca, Magnifico, and Roderick)?

They left it at Flora's place, so... No. Besides, an axe and a quarterstaff are very different weapons (meaning the fighting style is different as well), it wouldn't make much sense for him to discard his weapon of choice at this point.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Donald Shimoda said:
I could see Isidro weilding the fire axe maybe when hes a bit bigger and stronger.
There is no fire ax. It was an earth elemental ax, and as Aaz just said above your post, it was left behind at Flora's place when the Apostles torched it.

Anyway, Isidro wielding an ax? He wants to be the world's #1 swordsman... not lumberjack.

Top Bottom