Episode 289

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, these things aren't out of the blue, like Aaz said, in volume 23, Guts was "possessed" by the Beast with absolutely no other supernatural influence such as evil spirits. It just happened, though in a highly stressful and emotional situation, (which is still a really cool scene, seeing him look so dark and cold on the outside while the raging Beast represented his emotions inside, but I digress...). Here he's literally just sleeping and it's happening.

Anyway, I do think one could say it's related to the armor in that it's what put him in this condition in the first place, as well as arguably strengthening the influence of Beast in general, perhaps even when the armor is off. As Skull Knight warned him, and as we saw by his brief blindless a couple of episodes back, the armor is having a greater permanent affect over him, and his struggle to control the Beast is obviously a major dynamic of his use of the armor. And I think that imagery of the Beast in chains like that comes from Guts' mantras while in the armor, about how he's the one holding the bridle, is the one in control, etc. But could that fire the armor provides still be smoldering even when he takes it off now?

In any case, in or out of the armor, the Beast is still the beast that lives inside Guts. :chomp:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Maybe we'll see him confront the Beast in his subconscious in the next episode?

Oh I would like to see that! didn't even think about that possibility! And where is my damn storm! haha kidding thx again for the episode if I haven't said it already!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Death May Die said:
I'm starting to wonder if the beast is what will put Guts on a higher plain, making him able to battle the God Hand.

Well, his sword already did that.

Damaramu

I, Damaramu, will regret this
Thanks for the scans! Great Episode - love the sea battle.

I've lurked as a guest for a long time, but with the change of moving the Current Episode area to the registered side, I was forced to register at last. The forum looks great. I'm as excited as a little girl at the thought of being able to read the translations too instead of spending hours trying to decipher the raws with my poor Japanese. But all that after work.

Thanks, for letting me in (but now you'll have to put with me! - mwahaha)

Great episode and scans, and thanks for them.
Terrific episode overall.
Aazealh said:
To be honest I was more impressed by the thought Miura put into the detail. Seriously, who else would think of something like this? :guts:
Hope I'm not addressing anything that didn't relate to the mention of Guts not sweating, but in another un-related yet similar case, Shishio Makoto of R.K could not sweat due to his skin/sweat glands being essentially burnt off after he was doused in gasoline+lit aflame. Manga wise, he would not be able to fight more than 15 minutes without his body temperature rising to unsafe levels, and somehow (presumed for the above reasons) he spontaneously combusts after he continues the fight for 30 some odd minutes.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Phoenix Wrong! said:
Hope I'm not addressing anything that didn't relate to the mention of Guts not sweating, but in another un-related yet similar case, Shishio Makoto of R.K could not sweat due to his skin/sweat glands being essentially burnt off after he was doused in gasoline+lit aflame. Manga wise, he would not be able to fight more than 15 minutes without his body temperature rising to unsafe levels, and somehow (presumed for the above reasons) he spontaneously combusts after he continues the fight for 30 some odd minutes.

This was mentioned earlier in the thread.

CnC said:
Not only was Guts' inability to sweat mentioned already (as Rhombaad said)
Sorry, I just skimmed the posts of each page, caught the sweating statemment, and missed where someone pointed out Shishio in another post. I was and am too tired to read everything tonight, my mistake.

CnC said:
I nearly died laughing when you cited medical precedent
I really don't get the point out of your humor, was just citing how he died, it wasn't my own citation of medical pseudo phenomenon, and like you said, a work of fiction. If you want it worded as "he suddenly ignited" well there you have it.
CnC said:
of another fictional character in another manga.
Which was the entire point. I was pointing out another author with another character who couldn't sweat due to being burned. That's all there is to it, glad you had a nice laugh.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I must have mis-read your post. I guess I just get easily agitated when people bring in other japanese anime (usually the ones aimed at kids) and compare it to this one.
So while I assumed the conversation was pertaining to actual science behind Aaz's statement we were actually talking about another one of those lovely kid stories.

Top Bottom