Episode 298

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
Perhaps Griffith has the Messias Complex and really, really wants to save everyone after all hell has broken loose, since he failed his goals while he was still human.. We can even speculate that he'll kill off all the apostles that befriend him (similar to the BoH's sacrifice). :griff:

Would that be coherent? Didn't SK told Guts that time isn't a cycle? (or something like that, i can't really remember).
I agree with you on your first point, about how Ganishka is drawing another world into the physical world. We've been talking about that since ep 295.

But some other things in your post don't ring true to me and are not coherent. First of all, Griffith is no longer a human. He's a demon overlord with a human candy coating. Why would he want to rescue humans? His goal has always been to "just" get his kingdom, not rescue anyone. And as for killing his apostle army "similar to the BoH" this is a very far fetched idea in more ways than one. I don't feel I need to elaborate on why.

And it was Flora who told SK that Causality was not a cycle, but a spiral (click for the source), meaning that events won't necessarily reoccur in the exact same way. I really don't think she meant EVERYTHING would be repeated, just major arcs in human history. There's a full thread going on right now in Spec. nation about this exact topic, so if you want to post about that, please go here: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9533.0

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
But some other things in your post don't ring true to me and are not coherent. First of all, Griffith is no longer a human. He's a demon overlord with a human candy coating. Why would he want to rescue humans? His goal has always been to "just" get his kingdom, not rescue anyone.

Griffith is too vague and complex to define in simple or absolute terms with any real meaning, including when it comes to his motivations.

Why did he rescue Charlotte? Why does he bow to the Pontiff? Why does he play politics with cretins? Why does he play by these human rules at all? I don't know, and I'm going to go ahead and say you don't know either, other than he wants, needs, or is compelled to, again, for reasons we don't fully understand yet.

Whatever he is doesn't preclude him from his stated desire of an earthly Kingdom, an ambition from his human life one might assume a demon overload would have naturally transcended, much as with any need or desire he'd have to rescue, humor, or comply with humans. His motives, actions, and true status seem contradictory by their very natures. I've always felt his desire to become a King as a commoner, yet having to become a God to do it, has always been a contradiction central to his character, and it seemingly continues to pervade all his actions.

Walter said:
And as for killing his apostle army "similar to the BoH" this is a very far fetched idea in more ways than one. I don't feel I need to elaborate on why.

Not necessarily... "from a certain point of view." =)

While I'm not really advocating the idea, it's reasonable to think the Apostle army could suffer significant losses fighting this ultimate form of Ganishka, and that it would be as much by design as anything about this battle, especially if they'll have outlived their usefulness otherwise. On the other hand, perhaps everyone there, human and Apostle alike, are just lambs to the slaughter for Griffith to bring about his brave new world in the bloodiest sacrifice ever! It would certainly clear up that inherent contradiction mention above. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Why did he rescue Charlotte? Why does he bow to the Pontiff? Why does he play politics with cretins? Why does he play by these human rules at all? I don't know, and I'm going to go ahead and say you don't know either, other than he wants, needs, or is compelled to, again, for reasons we don't fully understand yet.
In order to establish a lasting regime, Griff has to play by human rules in a seemingly legitimate way before he lifts the veil of his true nature (if he even does).  Why should he seize the throne through demon muscle and tyranny when Causality has already laid before him a plan where the path of least resistance is to play the role of hero, and riding the tides of the times, is delivered the throne.

His motives, actions, and true status seem contradictory by their very natures. I've always felt his desire to become a King as a commoner, yet having to become a God to do it, has always been a contradiction central to his character, and it seemingly continues to pervade all his actions.
It makes sense to me. As a human, Griffith's desire for a kingdom was just an extension of wanting to know his place in the world -- the role he was born to fulfill. Once he shed his humanity and joined the ranks of demonkind, he found his reason for existence. Now, he's still carrying out his original mission,  in collusion with his newfound brethren.

edit: I don't presume to understand what Griff and the rest of the God Hand's ultimate plans for the world are, but I can see the above as a perfectly feasible "phase 1."

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
In order to establish a lasting regime, Griff has to play by human rules in a seemingly legitimate way before he lifts the veil of his true nature (if he even does). Why should he seize the throne through demon muscle and tyranny when Causality has already laid before him a plan where the path of least resistance is to play the role of hero, and riding the tides of the times, is delivered the throne.

There still isn't an answer to why it has to be that way or what Griffith's ultimate motivation is. We still don't know exactly why he does what he does, or how long he's going to keep behaving this way. Like you said, maybe there is no reveal and what we've seen is what we'll get as far as outward appearances.

Walter said:
It makes sense to me. As a human, Griffith's desire for a kingdom was just an extension of wanting to know his place in the world -- the role he was born to fulfill. Once he shed his humanity and joined the ranks of demonkind, he found his reason for existence. Now, he's still carrying out his original mission, in collusion with his newfound brethren.

edit: I don't presume to understand what Griff and the rest of the God Hand's ultimate plans for the world are, but I can see the above as a perfectly feasible "phase 1."

Feasible, but it's still all hearsay based on assumptions. For all we know, Griffith is just doing as he pleases, which may very well be serving greater forces, or, for all we know, there is no greater force than him at this point (or separation). As we discussed, my point was simply that we don't know enough about him to label, and especially to define him, by terms such as human, demon, or God as far as his spirit goes, especially with the kid mixed in there.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
I think that the problem reside in the fact that Miura has moved away Griffith very far from the other characters and the readers, since we never know what he thinks (if he thinks). The only thought from him is just the one regarding his heart.

Anyway, my point of view about him is that he is the desired messia, the power of God come down on Earth. So I think he must provide divine reason to people, to fight, live, die and so on.
I think that the point is this, Idea answered man with a messia, that would provide the reason for everything.
Griffith says that has come the time to built a country? People will be aware and happy that it is the will of God..So there's what man want. The man want a divine reason, for meaningless existence. And as the Idea told Griffith, it doesn't matter what he's gonna do... It will be perfect anyway for mankind. :badbone:

So I really consider that maybe we will never be aware of Griffith's way of thinking... We will only try to deduce it from his choices (but it still won't be enough).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot to post it earlier, here's Miura's comment in this issue of YA: "I've been away very long. We'll get into the climax now."

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
I forgot to post it earlier, here's Miura's comment in this issue of YA: "I've been away very long. We'll get into the climax now."

Wow! Thanks for the quote Aaz, now I'm even more excited.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Madam President said:
Climax, eh? Friggin' SWEET! Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be EPIC! I'm also hoping he doesn't pull a Rumiko Takahashi and drag his series on for too long.
I don't really think we should be talking about THE END of the series yet guys. He's likely just referring to the climax of this arc.

Walter said:
I don't really think we should be talking about THE END of the series yet guys. He's likely just referring to the climax of this arc.

Yeah you're absolutely right about it just being the arc.

The climax to the series will most likely occur with the final confrontation between Guts and Griffith. And it's gonna be epic:
http://www.skullknight.net/griffdeath/

einherjar

The Glorious Dead
Ramen4ever said:
The climax to the series will most likely occur with the final confrontation between Guts and Griffith. And it's gonna be epic:
http://www.skullknight.net/griffdeath/

That's genius... really. But I'd prefer to see something along the lines of Guts killing the Snake Baron... Maybe Casca has to pull him away from torturing Griff in his final moments... :guts:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I was just re-looking at the episode and it's amazing how the mini Ganishka have blood coming out of their eyes and noses! Little details makes me happy! :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the posters included with volume 33, if anyone's interested: 01 | 02

Needless to say, I'm expecting those of you who haven't bought it yet to do so right away. :miura: And on a side note, the spelling of "Ganishka" is confirmed to be what we've been using so far.

jackson_hurley

Marvelous! The one with Roderick is simply amazing! The other though I can't really see shit on it cause my computer is darkening to much everything that is a bit dark. Is it just the statue with the red spot or we see something else on it (cause that's the only I can see :judo:) ?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Is it just the statue with the red spot or we see something else on it (cause that's the only I can see :judo:) ?

It's Ganishka after his transformation. The red spots are his eyes. It's the same illustration we've seen with episode 296 in YA #11.

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
It's Ganishka after his transformation. The red spots are his eyes. It's the same illustration we've seen with episode 296 in YA #11.

Okay cool! That's what I thought at first but then again the picture in that episode was again too dark for my lame computer screen! I'm supposed to get a new one soon (well my sister's computer when she'll buy a new one but I have to wait at least until she comes back from Australia).

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
Here are the posters included with volume 33, if anyone's interested: 01 | 02

Needless to say, I'm expecting those of you who haven't bought it yet to do so right away. :miura: And on a side note, the spelling of "Ganishka" is confirmed to be what we've been using so far.

Thanks again Aazealh. :serpico:

However I'll be holding off to buy the Dark Horse version of 33, the only Japanese volume I bought was volume 32 and it was while I was in Japan. Though volume 26 comes out for Dark Horse later this month!

I'm wondering what the chances are for a preview of episode 299... the Official Berserk Corner still has the preview for 297 up. =(

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
However I'll be holding off to buy the Dark Horse version of 33, the only Japanese volume I bought was volume 32 and it was while I was in Japan. Though volume 26 comes out for Dark Horse later this month!

I understand, but I disapprove.

Deci said:
I'm wondering what the chances are for a preview of episode 299... the Official Berserk Corner still has the preview for 297 up. =(

They often skip previews; that doesn't mean anything.

Top Bottom