Episode 305

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
MaN said:
dear God I hope there are no Dragons.... It will be too much like inheritance series and somehow I don't see them fitting in Berserk manga. The dragon mythology is too well-developed in fiction and as Aaz said Miura seems to put a spin on all the 'creatures'. In a way Grunberd's apostle form could be called a dragon and well Guts does carry the 'dragon slayer' so may be.....

You disproved your own point. The well established dragon mythology, in and out of the series, only further suggests we could see such creatures now in the Berserk world alongside the other mythological creatures such as trolls, unicorns, etc. Also, Grunbeld is more than just something that could be called a dragon, he has been called one and has even referred to himself as a dragon. He's a dragon. =)

MaN said:
I wonder if opening the gates to hell will give Griffith some special status with godhands.. Actually I wonder if godhands like each other? Is there animosity between them. Is there a leader... I guess Void could possibly be the leader but it seems like they are mostly doing their own thing. Surely they must have noticed an event like this....

Of course they're aware, this is all according to their design. As for their relationships, it's probably not of much consequence, Slan seemed rather indifferent about the rest while on her own.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
If I'm right about the geo identification it looks like Midland is around Germany/Poland given the epicenter of the light.

I wonder how the beast will react to this. Assuming that it's not just some crazy part of Guts' psyche, we may see some interesting developments on that front. :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
What ISN'T though is the very clear Africa and Madagascar we get in the other page.

I don't know man, the coast next to the island doesn't really seem to fit to me. It's too flat, not indented enough (sorry, I'm not sure how to say this more clearly). Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some similarities with our world, but I don't expect the Berserk world to be exactly the same. If we're lucky we might be able to see it more clearly with the full episode, but somehow I have the feeling Miura won't reveal too much.

Black_Devil said:
Doesn't its' reach only extend to humans though? :X If not please don't kill me.

We don't know of any limitation it might have.

Black_Devil said:
Really cool episode, though honestly, I was expecting more demonic figures than Unicorns. >_>

It's the astral world of Berserk, not the ninth circle of hell from the Divine Comedy.

MaN said:
dear God I hope there are no Dragons.... It will be too much like inheritance series and somehow I don't see them fitting in Berserk manga. The dragon mythology is too well-developed in fiction and as Aaz said Miura seems to put a spin on all the 'creatures'. In a way Grunberd's apostle form could be called a dragon and well Guts does carry the 'dragon slayer' so may be...

Man, please don't start this whole whining again like the first time trolls appeared. Whatever Miura includes in the story, it's going to fit the universe he created. Grunbeld is unique enough, right? So take it easy.

MaN said:
I wonder if opening the gates to hell will give Griffith some special status with godhands.. Actually I wonder if godhands like each other? Is there animosity between them. Is there a leader... I guess Void could possibly be the leader but it seems like they are mostly doing their own thing. Surely they must have noticed an event like this....

Femto already has a special status: he was incarnated. He's been fulfilling his role ever since, and the current events are the culmination of what he's been doing so far. And I don't think there's any real animosity between them.

Funkmasta Zeph said:
If I'm right about the geo identification it looks like Midland is around Germany/Poland given the epicenter of the light.

You probably shouldn't get too excited about this, seriously.

CowTip said:
I wonder how the beast will react to this. Assuming that it's not just some crazy part of Guts' psyche

That's what it is as far as we know.

Griffith

Funkmasta Zeph said:

To be honest, I really couldn't see anything too conclusive in the images, the cloud cover, perhaps intentionally, obscuring things. I'm sure the episode itself will look clearer, but maybe we're just not supposed to know. It'd be cool to see though, either way.

CowTip said:
I wonder how the beast will react to this. Assuming that it's not just some crazy part of Guts' psyche, we may see some interesting developments on that front. :beast:

Well, arguably it is just that, though it's obviously able to manifest itself through the armor, but that's still a reflection of Guts' psyche, not something external or separate from him. In any case, I would think it would either be unaffected, or somehow made stronger or able to manifest itself differently, if anything. I don't think it'll get weaker though. =)

I sort of figure that that's all the beast is as well, but as these last few episodes have told me, you never can really know with Berserk. If someone would have told me 4 years ago that we'd be seeing unicorns running around, I probably would have laughed in their face.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I sort of figure that that's all the beast is as well, but as these last few episodes have told me, you never can really know with Berserk.

Nah, don't say that. Some things are known, some are unknown, but usually we can still make educated guesses even so.

CowTip said:
If someone would have told me 4 years ago that we'd be seeing unicorns running around, I probably would have laughed in their face.

We saw unicorns in volume 24, 7 years ago. :slan:

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
Aazealh said:
I don't know man, the coast next to the island doesn't really seem to fit to me. It's too flat, not indented enough (sorry, I'm not sure how to say this more clearly).

Your saying that the east African coast is indented and can't see it in the picture?
It's hard to tell the exact contours of the Africa landmass because of all the clouds, but it actually looks pretty indented to me (judging by the dark shading between the clouds), and the Madagascar shape is pretty uncanny.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some similarities with our world, but I don't expect the Berserk world to be exactly the same. If we're lucky we might be able to see it more clearly with the full episode, but somehow I have the feeling Miura won't reveal too much.

Oh I'm not saying that due to having our geography that means it will have all the same anything else, that's already self evident for all sorts of reasons.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
MaN said:
dear God I hope there are no Dragons.... It will be too much like inheritance series and somehow I don't see them fitting in Berserk manga. The dragon mythology is too well-developed in fiction and as Aaz said Miura seems to put a spin on all the 'creatures'. In a way Grunberd's apostle form could be called a dragon and well Guts does carry the 'dragon slayer' so may be.....

Could be called a Dragon? Grunberd's whole motif is draconic, even his nickname :schierke:

EDIT: Whoaaaaaaah so many responses in such a short amount of time

And as predicted, Aaz did indeed roast me :p, wasn't trying to sound facetious, just wanted to see actual demons other than apostles(Though would you count trolls?)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
Your saying that the east African coast is indented and can't see it in the picture?

I'm saying the 2 east coasts are different around where the island is.

Funkmasta Zeph said:
It's hard to tell the exact contours of the Africa landmass because of all the clouds, but it actually looks pretty indented to me (judging by the dark shading between the clouds), and the Madagascar shape is pretty uncanny.

It's not indented like it should be. Short of posting pictures side by side I can't be more precise. As for the island's shape, it's resembling, but that doesn't mean much. The coast of the continent next to it in the picture fits its shape, so we can assume Miura just wanted it to look realistic from that point of view (i.e. the island having been part of the continent in the distant past, before it detached itself from it). Maybe he based its shape on Madagascar's, but that doesn't mean the continent next to it is the same, or that the rest of the world is similar to ours.

Funkmasta Zeph said:
Oh I'm not saying that due to having our geography that means it will have all the same anything else, that's already self evident for all sorts of reasons.

I meant that I don't think it's going to be the same geography, even though some parts might look pretty similar.

Black_Devil said:
And as predicted, Aaz did indeed roast me :p, wasn't trying to sound facetious, just wanted to see actual demons other than apostles(Though would you count trolls?)

My point is that the spiritual world doesn't just amount to "demons". Anyway be patient, I'm sure we'll see many more spiritual creatures in the future.

Eclipse ceremonies on other planets? :isidro:

Poor unicorns, but haven't they always had to deal with the hydra threat? I am assuming that hydras and unicorns are existing in the same layer even before the worlds merge.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
gh-zodd said:
Poor unicorns, but haven't they always had to deal with the hydra threat? I am assuming that hydras and unicorns are existing on the same layer even before the worlds merge.

That is a good question actually. It could have been the natural course of things in the astral world, just like both species might have just met for the first time. They probably lived on the same layer of the astral world, but the question is: did they live in the same area? Think of the Qliphoth and how only evil creatures dwelled there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
Well that's pretty interesting. If that's what's happening on land, wonder what's going on at sea :troll:

First mermaids, then a scary monster. Or vice versa. :guts:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
In an age of Darkness with Unicorns running around, it's only a matter of time until...

2njycsy.jpg

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
Aazealh said:
That is a good question actually. It could have been the natural course of things in the astral world, just like both species might have just met for the first time. They probably lived on the same layer of the astral world, but the question is: did they live in the same area? Think of the Qliphoth and how only evil creatures dwelled there.

But wasn't the Qliphoth created by Slan? Or did she just take residence there? If the former, would you count that as a natural occurance in the astral world?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
wow so many posts since i came back from work!

Unicorns eh?! Awesome! :guts:

Anyways, I'm really excited about this new episode. I had a funny thought(even though I know it's not true at all), what if the unicorns were normal horses before the light touched them? haha

The head of the hydra reminded me some old version of the lizard in spider-man, I like on Miura did his hydra.

Griffith

Black_Devil said:
But wasn't the Qliphoth created by Slan? Or did she just take residence there? If the former, would you count that as a natural occurance in the spiritual world?

It's the latter, though she didn't really take residence there either, other than during the time we actually saw her, as far as we know, she was just making an appearance there.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Johnstantine said:
The manga is pretty much in epic-movie-mode right now.

Unfortunately.

Unicorns Miura? Fuckin seriously?
Fantasy nerds rejoice! The worlds have merged! More magic, more creatures, more trading cards! What a mess... The small picture that is. Cause i hope the big one is more ingenious.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
NightCrawler said:
Unfortunately.

Fantasy nerds rejoice! The worlds have merged! More magic, more creatures, more trading cards! What a mess... The small picture that is. Cause i hope the big one is more ingenious.

I was a little disappointed with this as well. I thought he might take a little more artistic license and come up with something different than the traditional mythical creatures, given he did such a great job with the Apostles.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I like the fact we see these spiritual creatures since the worlds are merging. Some may seem cheesy to some of you guys, but it's ok if you don't like it. You are entitle not to like some parts of the manga. I"ll just keep enjoying the episodes as they come out and see where Miura takes this current events.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Unfortunately.

Negative Nancys like you complained about magic when it made its appearance in the series too. They had no faith.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Unfortunately.

Well, you have to make an effort to think about the big picture first, and the actual point and purpose behind these mythological or "fantasy" creatures. I think it's safe to say Miura could make up as many random creatures as he wants, and will continue to, but he's intentionally tying into a longstanding mythology for a reason here, not exploiting it for lack of creativity. No offense, but it sounds like that problem is on your end. Don't let a limited experience with these things, in cartoons or big budget fantasy movies, narrow your scope in how you see this.

KazigluBey said:
I was a little disappointed with this as well. I thought he might take a little more artistic license and come up with something different than the traditional mythical creatures, given he did such a great job with the Apostles.

Again, the theme has been famous mythological creatures somehow appearing in the real world, he can't very well tie that into the story, most importantly in the audiences mind, if he makes up more original monsters to stand in for these creatures, especially when there's already plenty of original creations present. Think of how it would change your perception, complaints aside, they'd just be more Berserk monsters, we wouldn't think of them as "mythological" even if they were known as such to the characters in the story.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I like the fact we see these spiritual creatures since the worlds are merging. Some may seem cheesy to some of you guys, but it's ok if you don't like it. You are entitle not to like some parts of the manga. I"ll just keep enjoying the episodes as they come out and see where Miura takes this current events.

That's probably the best attitude of all of us. Still, I don't like people just lazily bashing things from a very limited black and white point of view. If they don't like it, they can argue why and back it up.

Walter said:
Negative Nancys like you complained about magic when it made its appearance in the series too. They had no faith.

Well, to be perfectly fair, so did you, me, and Cronus. :griffnotevil:

Top Bottom