Episode 307

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Nice post, royoak. Underlines how disputable many of those claims are. :slan:

royoak said:
(One might argue that as well, since the Book of Enoch, the old Testament and other sources, depict those as different beings (i.e. Satan=Sataniel))
Indeed.

royoak said:
First of all, Lucifer was a Seraphim but has only six wings.
But Ezekiel refers to him as a cherub.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
Anyway, I think that's enough Biblical talk for now. We wouldn't want to get swamped down in thousand years old debates, would we? :SK: Especially since it's all about a hypothetic and pretty trivial connexion to a detail of Falconia's outer decoration.

The next episode is in less than a week. What are you guys expecting? Sea monsters? Skellig in sight? Guts healed? Go ahead and speculate. Anyone who predicts exactly what will happen wins a custom title.
 

puella

Popopopopopopopo!
Aazealh said:
The next episode is in less than a week. What are you guys expecting? Sea monsters? Skellig in sight? Guts healed?
What I keep wondering about is why they showed his arm in the preview page. :???:
 

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I say they see Skellig in sight, but in the midst of all this nice feeling of arrival, they encounter some kind of astral creature ( can't think of a specific one right now ) Also, that they might get some help from Skellig as they are being attacked.
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
The next episode is in less than a week. What are you guys expecting? Sea monsters? Skellig in sight? Guts healed? Go ahead and speculate.
I've been wrong about this before but, given the monumental events that just occured at the center of the continent, I have a hunch the pacing will slow down for an episode or two, and that next episode will be more about character development aboard the ship in light of the effects of the merging. I.E. Guts' arm. We may even get our long-awaited answer of how/if it will affect magic users like Schierke.

puella said:
What I keep wondering about is why they showed his arm in the preview page. :???:
I have a pretty good idea :daiba:

Th3Branded0ne said:
I say they see Skellig in sight, but in the midst of all this nice feeling of arrival, they encounter some kind of astral creature ( can't think of a specific one right now ) Also, that they might get some help from Skellig as they are being attacked.

These and more are all possibilities of what could be encountered on the ocean.

But I've been thinking of something similar to you, but different in a key way -- I've been thinking that Skellig could have some magical defenses that go haywire as a result of the merging. Massive waves blocking the way or something like that. Natural defenses, but enhanced by magic. Flora had Golems, afterall. Why not something similar or even more dramatic, for an island of magic creatures and magic users?
 
I hope to see some Farnese funny moments in the island full of elves and puck's descriptions are proven overexaggerated. I think its been too long since Farnese has been happily surprised.
 
I believe there’ll be some astral-related changes out at sea. Maybe mermaids and other strange sea creatures will be seen swimming alongside the ship (I doubt they’ll encounter some hellish Leviathan this early on). Meanwhile a disturbed Schierke will try to explain the possible consequences of the apocalyptic events and everyone will go “OMGWTF”.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the episode where someone shouts “Land O'hoy!”
 
That alternate cover of vol 34 is gorgeous. I would kill for a poster of that :zodd: (kind of reminds me of Cecil/Kain from Final Fantasy, by the way :schnoz: )
 

Dani

Smile!
I'm thinking either they set foot on Skellig on the final panel (maybe a big reveal on the last panel?) or will held up by creatures or "defences" greeting them. This all intertwined with them discussing the effects of the merging.

I can't see anything major happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mention of some new possibility for the Guts arm thing and the whole magic users being affected issue.

To be honest, I just want to see them on Skellig. I think we won't be learning whether Casca will be healed for quite some time though (please, prove me wrong, make mention of this in the next EPISODE).

BTW, with previous preview panels in previous issues of YA, the pictures attached to the previews, did they ever hint or foreshadow what to come much? Obviously I don't think the next EPISODE notifications would spoil anything, but has anyone looked back on them to see if they meant anything in retrospect?
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dani said:
I'm thinking either they set foot on Skellig on the final panel (maybe a big reveal on the last panel?) or will held up by creatures or "defences" greeting them. This all intertwined with them discussing the effects of the merging.
Man, that's a lot of territory to cover in one episode! :isidro:

BTW, with previous preview panels in previous issues of YA, the pictures attached to the previews, did they ever hint or foreshadow what to come much? Obviously I don't think the next EPISODE notifications would spoil anything, but has anyone looked back on them to see if they meant anything in retrospect?
It's episode, not chapter. Please read this post (click). And the YA previews rarely say anything authoritative at all. The one we're discussing here is probably the most enigmatic one I can recall. One particularly embarrassing one circa vol 13 was written in English: "WHY HAS HE GOT BURNING WITH REVENGEFUL THOUGHT?!" These are either written by someone at YA or Miura's editor, but not the man himself.
 

Dani

Smile!
Walter said:
It's episode, not chapter. Please read this post (click). And the YA previews rarely say anything authoritative at all. The one we're discussing here is probably the most enigmatic one I can recall. One particularly embarrassing one circa vol 13 was written in English: "WHY HAS HE GOT BURNING WITH REVENGEFUL THOUGHT?!" These are either written by someone at YA or Miura's editor, but not the man himself.
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think that the preview would have any hidden significance.

On a cheeky note, if the entire next EPISODE was just a montage of Guts company doing this;

I would be quite amused.

"HE GOT BURNING", Reminds me of the Martian Successor opening title, "You Get To Burning" .
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dani said:
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think that the preview would have any hidden significance.
Well, don't get me wrong. Just because previous previews haven't been enlightening doesn't mean the one we see here isn't important. Anyway, the text here isn't as vital as the image. And as you may have already read in this thread, it could actually be showing that Guts will begin to have sensation in his prosthetic arm.
 
X

Xem

Guest
I think perhaps some people are reading a bit too much into the preview picture of Guts and his arm cannon. In my opinion, this was given merely as an indication that the story is being refocused onto Guts after this long Griffith/Ganishka debacle.

More than likely, the next episode will feature Guts. and Co. and probably show them finally arriving/seeing Elf Island.

Nothing more! If there's any twist, I imagine it'll be either the emergence of the Elf King or... something to do with Puck/Isidro... :beast:
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I think perhaps some people are reading a bit too much into the preview picture of Guts and his arm cannon. In my opinion, this was given merely as an indication that the story is being refocused onto Guts after this long Griffith/Ganishka debacle.
While that could be, and I always appreciate an opposing viewpoint, I think you're underestimating the significance that the preview pic is a tight, focused picture of the prosthetic arm, with some special effects surrounding it in the upper right. If it was strictly intended to indicate a transitional change to Guts and co. it would probably be more effective as a picture of Guts face, not something enigmatic like this.

Furthermore, there's some basis for the theory it will become like another arm. In vol 33 it's reiterated that Guts thinks of it as a real arm despite its inorganic nature. That perception could make it a part of his astral body, which because of the merging, could make it part of his perceived body.

I admit that's a lot of maybes and could-bes, but I actually find the above theory more likely than the preview pic having nothing to do with the repercussions of the merging for Guts.

Nothing more! If there's any twist, I imagine it'll be either the emergence of the Elf King or... something to do with Puck/Isidro... :beast:
You really think we'll see Hanafubuku within the first episode of the new chapter? We've waited nearly 8 years to see Elfhelm, I can wait a few more weeks/months for him to get a proper dramatic introduction.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
D-Scape said:
I believe there’ll be some astral-related changes out at sea. Maybe mermaids and other strange sea creatures will be seen swimming alongside the ship (I doubt they’ll encounter some hellish Leviathan this early on). Meanwhile a disturbed Schierke will try to explain the possible consequences of the apocalyptic events and everyone will go “OMGWTF”.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the episode where someone shouts “Land O'hoy!”
Sounds good to me. I wouldn't outright deny the possibility of a hostile encounter though.

Dani said:
To be honest, I just want to see them on Skellig. I think we won't be learning whether Casca will be healed for quite some time though (please, prove me wrong, make mention of this in the next EPISODE).
Please not. Damn it people, savor the moment, don't be so impatient! It's taken us so long to get there, and now you want it rushed? Madness. This is the pivotal moment of the series. Not just the merging of the worlds and the apparition of Falconia, but the arrival at Elfhelm as well. Stop running around for a second and take some time to enjoy it.

Dani said:
BTW, with previous preview panels in previous issues of YA, the pictures attached to the previews, did they ever hint or foreshadow what to come much? Obviously I don't think the next EPISODE notifications would spoil anything, but has anyone looked back on them to see if they meant anything in retrospect?
There usually isn't any picture to illustrate the preview of the next episode. It's a rare occurrence. Whenever it happens though you can be sure it's related to what's going to happen. But not necessarily in an very meaningful way. As for YA's usual text previews, most of the time they're useless. Recently one announced Ganishka's flashback, and that's the most useful one I can remember in all the time I've been following Berserk. Other than that, they're typically infamous for being guesses that are as good as those of the readers. They were actually misleading a few times, saying stuff like "what will happen to Guts next?" when the next episode was actually about Griffith. Embarrassing.

Walter said:
One particularly embarrassing one circa vol 13 was written in English: "WHY HAS HE GOT BURNING WITH REVENGEFUL THOUGHT?!" These are either written by someone at YA or Miura's editor, but not the man himself.
Actually it's "Why has he got burned with revengeful thought ?" and those weren't previews, but sentences printed at the beginning of each episode during most of the Golden Age arc.

Walter said:
I admit that's a lot of maybes and could-bes, but I actually find the above theory more likely than the preview pic having nothing to do with the repercussions of the merging for Guts.
We'll see, but I wouldn't get carried away. Even if it has to do with the way Guts feels his artificial forearm, It's more likely to be subtle and subdued than anything else. And let's not forget about the sound effect either. It's a clicking noise. It could just be Guts rearming the cannon or putting the prosthesis on, maybe getting ready to come off the ship and/or to fight? Which, keep in mind, is not incompatible with him feeling something different with it, either right away or later on. Let's not limit ourselves here.

Walter said:
You really think we'll see Hanafubuku within the first episode of the new chapter?
Just a side note, but if we're going to refer to characters by their Japanese names, we should at least write it in a way that makes sense. In this case, Hanafubuku Ou. But really, I don't see the need to bother when "Elf King" or "King of the Flower Storm" would do the job wonderfully.
 

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Aazealh said:
The next episode is in less than a week. What are you guys expecting? Sea monsters? Skellig in sight? Guts healed? Go ahead and speculate.
I think that while they are starting to see Skellig, the party start to think to each other(since the goal is near, and everyone will be questioning about the future). Then they feel some presence in the sea, and they'll see like D-scape said, some mermaids, that will be soon attacked by some sea monsters. So Schierke while trying a spell to protect the ship, some other power casts a barrier upon the ship in order to grant them a safe arrival to the shore of the Island. Once there everyone will notice a suggestive landscape and they will meet someone that was waiting for them(I think something like the Flora's awareness of them thanks SK). Here Guts will soon feels much better and several injuries will start to heal.

Walter said:
But I've been thinking of something similar to you, but different in a key way -- I've been thinking that Skellig could have some magical defenses that go haywire as a result of the merging. Massive waves blocking the way or something like that. Natural defenses, but enhanced by magic. Flora had Golems, afterall. Why not something similar or even more dramatic, for an island of magic creatures and magic users?
Good point. It could be quite possible.

Aazealh said:
Please not. Damn it people, savor the moment, don't be so impatient! It's taken us so long to get there, and now you want it rushed? Madness. This is the pivotal moment of the series. Not just the merging of the worlds and the apparition of Falconia, but the arrival at Elfhelm as well. Stop running around for a second and take some time to enjoy it.
Yes, I have to agree.
 
After hearing what Walter said, I'm inclined to agree. I think the next instalment will feature more interpersonal content rather than another epic revelation. Miura won't want to spoil us too much. :carcus:
 
Aazealh said:
Even if it has to do with the way Guts feels his artificial forearm, It's more likely to be subtle and subdued than anything else.
I had like to add that whatever may happen regarding Guts' arm due to the merging of the worlds may be cancelled if ever the worlds were to "un-merge"...?

So if Guts was able to feel his missing arm, or even more: move it like a real one, and then one day not anymore, wouldn't it feel weird? :???: To me it would.

Or maybe we are considering that the merging of the worlds is something definitive, that can't be turned back? I guess we won't know it for sure right now...
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
Or maybe we are considering that the merging of the worlds is something definitive, that can't be turned back? I guess we won't know it for sure right now...
Yeah, I think its pretty premature to be considering the effects of an "unmerging" when we dont even know the full effects of the merging. :slan:
 

Dani

Smile!
asmer does raise an interesting issue about whether or not the change is permanent. Although considering how it was created, it would probably take something as equally epic to undo and there's nothing like that in sight for now.

I liked the scenes showing the effects of the merging with ordinary folks going about their lives encountering all these strange, fantastic mythical beasts, it's weird to consider it all on a global scale, but that is what has happened. We have seen the entire globe of the Berserk world effected by the merging, so there isn't any country, mountain, town or city that wouldn't be affected.

When looking at this;



This was created before the merging, so I don't think we'll see any less than these creatures very shortly, maybe through out the next few episodes, I wouldn't be surprised if we seen more than just these creatures. Also, I think that the picture is off a Water Sprite, more so than a mermaid. With Elf Island, a Water Sprite (a fairy essentially) makes more sense to me.
 

Aazealh

そうはいかぬ
Staff member
asmer said:
So if Guts was able to feel his missing arm, or even more: move it like a real one, and then one day not anymore, wouldn't it feel weird?
I don't think it would be especially weird, no. It all depends on how it's done.

Dani said:
asmer does raise an interesting issue about whether or not the change is permanent. Although considering how it was created, it would probably take something as equally epic to undo and there's nothing like that in sight for now.
He didn't raise anything, this has already been discussed earlier. As it stands, it's unlikely there would be a complete, sudden separation. And don't forget there were already astral creatures in the material world before it merged with the astral world. But they had been disappearing, slowly and over many years. Hypothetically something similar could happen again.

Dani said:
When looking at this;

http://skullknight.net/images/ocean-creatures.jpg

This was created before the merging, so I don't think we'll see any less than these creatures very shortly, maybe through out the next few episodes, I wouldn't be surprised if we seen more than just these creatures.
You're making a critical mistake here. The world wasn't always as it used to be right before the merging. Long ago, astral creatures and magic in general were far more common. A time in which Flora lived, and from which her grimoires probably come from. Not to mention that those grimoires pertain to magic and to the astral world in the first place. It's what Schierke was actually talking about when we were shown that illustration. So there's no reason to think they are no longer relevant, especially since we've seen practically nothing of them. Similarly, it would be absurd to think that only the creatures shown in that panel will make an appearance.

Dani said:
Also, I think that the picture is off a Water Sprite, more so than a mermaid. With Elf Island, a Water Sprite (a fairy essentially) makes more sense to me.
That was a page in one of Flora's grimoires referring to the sea and how it is connected to the astral world. It was not specifically about Elfhelm. We're not even sure to actually see that particular creature (or the others shown in the book).
 
I hope they won't meet any big obstacle before reaching the land! We had the fight with the Pirates already, so why not a peaceful trip for once... :guts:

I like the aforementioned possibility that the preview hints that they may be packing their stuff.... maybe to finally land!
 

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
asmer said:
I hope they won't meet any big obstacle before reaching the land! We had the fight with the Pirates already, so why not a peaceful trip for once... :guts:
Man, Asmer should get something taken away for being 100% wrong on this prediction :ganishka:
 
Walter said:
Man, Asmer should get something taken away for being 100% wrong on this prediction :ganishka:
Sounds fair to me...... :farnese:

But who would have guessed those pirates would be asking for more!!!!!! :guts:
 
Top Bottom